This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the call

I just got called into the police academy where I was an alternate and I am at the end of the deadline which means the academy has been going on for 2 weeks already. I was wondering how you all would handle the situation as far as getting to know the other recruits and officers. Since I am starting late I know I will be a little bit of an outsider since cliques and friendships have already started to develop. I have never been extremely talkative or social, but at the same time I want LE and this department to be my career for a long time and would like to develope a family-type atmosphere with as many people as I can. Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by kywildcats; 02-18-2006, 10:21 AM.

You are going to an academy to be a police officer!!! You are not starting High School. As far as not being so talkative or social.......I think now is a good time to change those ways because somewhere in the job you will need to talk to people and need to represent an image and interact. Are you sure this is what you want? The academy does help with this. You will build a confidence that you need for the job. I wish you all the best of luck.

Comment

I agree with manstown....if you can't handle a social event, such as people at the Police Academy, how are you going to handle a crowd, when or it if you are out on the streets? Are you going to lock up if some hott chicks come up and ask you for directions? If being social is a problem for you, then you are going to face a lot of difficulites in Police Work. I am sorry to say this.

For advice for this particular situation...kid...you are on your own...this is all you!
      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv
        I agree with manstown....if you can't handle a social event, such as people at the Police Academy, how are you going to handle a crowd, when or it if you are out on the streets? Are you going to lock up if some hott chicks come up and ask you for directions? If being social is a problem for you, then you are going to face a lot of difficulites in Police Work. I am sorry to say this.

For advice for this particular situation...kid...you are on your own...this is all you!
        You both have totally misinterpreted the entire point and question of my post. Obviously I can handle speaking and "social events"; I completed high school, obviously, and a year of college as well as holding jobs and making it through the oral board, background interviews, polygraph, etc. I am capable of talking to people and carrying on conversations, I'm just not a "buddy-buddy" type personality. When it comes to doing my job I will be just fine. My question had nothing to do with being able to handle the police academy; I am starting 2 weeks late and I am not familiar with any of the people there or how the academy is set up. The other recruits have had 2 weeks to learn procedures, get to know the instructing officers, and get to know and form relationships with each other. I am breaking into that late and I am already behind. I thought others may have been called as an alternate and could give some advice.

I think I will stop posting on this board now because every question is met with negativity and scrutinization of other people's qualifications and attributes.

Comment

Ok since you are still attempting to be very difficult on here...your first day, don't go trying to be buddy buddy with everyone and attempting to KISS [email protected]@ to the Instructors. Don't expect to be treated fair becuase you are starting late. Two weeks is not all that bad, unless your academy is very short? Go in there expecting to be treated like an outsider and wait till the end of the day to talk with the other recruits as to whats going on and see if they can assist you in anyway. Since you stated that you are not the "buddy buddy" type person, well I will tell you straight up that you will have a difficult time, because the Academy is focused on training and being abelt o work with your peers. You will also need to do that on the street with whom you work with. Either learn how to adapt to being a pal to someone or...well not going to go there and upset you any further!!
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

kywildcat

unfortunately i've seen many like kywildcat..hope im wrong but dude you will not last. you have people on here with MUCH more experience and real life encounters giving you opinions and suggestions and all you want to do is act like everyone is out to get you.. last i knew you were on the waiting list to get in the academy crying about how everyone was bashing and insulting you..now you got the call and i honestly congrat u on that...however you keep up this everyone is out to get me, every response is an attack frame of mind, then the academy is going to be an extreme hell not only for you but for all of your fellow recruits. this will eliminate your struggle to buddy up because no one will want you around...advice....although you will probably take it the wrong way....KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT AND LEARN..its only your life on the line...

Comment

POST REMOVED FOR PERSONAL ATTACK AND PROFANITY

USER BANNED 30 DAYS

OTHER USERS ARE WARNED THAT BEING RUDE ISN'T RIGHT EITHER!

THANKS
              WEBTEAM

Comment

Originally posted by kywildcats
                None of that has nothing to do with anything. Anytime anyone comes on here asking a question about anything other posters will insult them and tell them they shouldn't be there or aren't qualified. It is ignorant to assume anything over a f*cking internet post. None of you know me, know what I am like, know how I interact with people, or know what my qualifications are. Obviously an 8 panel board of police officers looked me square in the eye and thought I was fit to be hired. Are they wrong too?

Everyone isn't out to get me. I never said that. Everyone at the department I applied to was gracious, helpful, and nice about everything through the whole process. They answered my questions openly and honestly. Everytime I come on THIS board, I am criticized and bashed whether I'm asking about applying to other departments (before I got hired by this one) or how to catch up and fit in with an academy class that has been together for 2 weeks. Frankly, "You should just quit cause you can't be a cop since you can't talk to people," had nothing to do with my post, wasn't even close to how I am in real life, and didn't help one bit with answering my question and it is the same few people who are a**holes to everyone all the time on here. If you don't have an answer to a question or something good to say just go up to the top left of your screen, hit the back button, and STFU because nobody wants to hear it. I handle myself fine in real life, but I'm not gonna put up with a bunch of sh*t on an internet site. It ****es me off when some faceless screenname says things that I guarantee they wouldn't have the balls to say to me face to face.
                Wow kids, you sure do show your true Immature colors on here. How dare you tell other LEO's on here to "STFU" when you are not even close to being one. You have so much to learn and you came on here the first time asking very immature questions and you have always acted Immature.

If you can't even take some heat on a Chat Forum then as I stated before and on many other threads to you, you will not cut it in LE. That panel of 8 you are talking about...can be the Panel of 8 to fire you one day for acting the way you do on here.

I just feel for those who will have to work with you!

Comment

Wow..... Had to just say good reading!
                  Marine Infantry - Taking out the trash one country at a time.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are."

"Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

Comment

Just a little advice, I would say just be who you are. In the military there were hundreds of people I met that came late, or were assigned to our unit during combat. You can really read someone if they are being fake to fit in. If being yourself is enough then do that. If being something you are not is what you need to do, they will know.
                    Marine Infantry - Taking out the trash one country at a time.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are."

"Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

Comment

Everyone isn't out to get me. I never said that. Everyone at the department I applied to was gracious, helpful, and nice about everything through the whole process. They answered my questions openly and honestly. Everytime I come on THIS board, I am criticized and bashed whether I'm asking about applying to other departments (before I got hired by this one) or how to catch up and fit in with an academy class that has been together for 2 weeks. Frankly, "You should just quit cause you can't be a cop since you can't talk to people," had nothing to do with my post, wasn't even close to how I am in real life, and didn't help one bit with answering my question and it is the same few people who are a**holes to everyone all the time on here. If you don't have an answer to a question or something good to say just go up to the top left of your screen, hit the back button, and STFU because nobody wants to hear it. I handle myself fine in real life, but I'm not gonna put up with a bunch of sh*t on an internet site. It ****es me off when some faceless screenname says things that I guarantee they wouldn't have the balls to say to me face to face.[/QUOTE]

Because all the time you want people to make a decision for you. "What do I do?" How can I........? Come on wildcat. You are about to take on one of the best jobs there is, and you want to be pushed through by other people. You have to think for yourself. Who the hell cares if there are cliques in the academy. And yes, you basically said that you weren't socialable and that you just don't go and interact with people. This job you depend on others, but a big part of it is making decisions for yourself and handling situations on your own. You can't handle the criticism of people on this forum who have experience in the field then don't ask the questions. How are you going to handle a dirt bag on the street? Just be careful. And yes, I would say everything that I said on here to your face. Grow up.

Comment

POST REMOVED FOR PERSONAL ATTACK AND PROFANITY

USER BANNED 30 DAYS

OTHER USERS ARE WARNED THAT BEING RUDE ISN'T RIGHT EITHER!

THANKS
                        WEBTEAM

Comment

Originally posted by manstown
                          Everyone isn't out to get me. I never said that. Everyone at the department I applied to was gracious, helpful, and nice about everything through the whole process. They answered my questions openly and honestly. Everytime I come on THIS board, I am criticized and bashed whether I'm asking about applying to other departments (before I got hired by this one) or how to catch up and fit in with an academy class that has been together for 2 weeks. Frankly, "You should just quit cause you can't be a cop since you can't talk to people," had nothing to do with my post, wasn't even close to how I am in real life, and didn't help one bit with answering my question and it is the same few people who are a**holes to everyone all the time on here. If you don't have an answer to a question or something good to say just go up to the top left of your screen, hit the back button, and STFU because nobody wants to hear it. I handle myself fine in real life, but I'm not gonna put up with a bunch of sh*t on an internet site. It ****es me off when some faceless screenname says things that I guarantee they wouldn't have the balls to say to me face to face.
                          Because all the time you want people to make a decision for you. "What do I do?" How can I........? Come on wildcat. You are about to take on one of the best jobs there is, and you want to be pushed through by other people. You have to think for yourself. Who the hell cares if there are cliques in the academy. And yes, you basically said that you weren't socialable and that you just don't go and interact with people. This job you depend on others, but a big part of it is making decisions for yourself and handling situations on your own. You can't handle the criticism of people on this forum who have experience in the field then don't ask the questions. How are you going to handle a dirt bag on the street? Just be careful. And yes, I would say everything that I said on here to your face. Grow up.[/QUOTE]

I'm not asking anyone to do anything for me. I was asking for advice...you know, the stuff that you get that lets you make smarter decisions on your own after taking in all the information. I've been through almost 7 months of this hiring process ON MY OWN, so don't try to come off like this forum has done anything for me. And I never said I cared if there were cliques in the academy...I said I'm sure people have formed their cliques and friendships and that makes it that much harder to break into those groups and make friends with the other recruits. I WANT TO MAKE FRIENDS. I SAID IN MY FIRST POST THAT I WANTED TO DEVELOPE A FAMILY TYPE ATMOSPHERE WITH SOME OF THE OTHER RECRUITS. Did you skip over that part? My uncle and his old partner are now in their 70's and are still best friends. That is what I want. I know you have to depend on people and that is exactly why I came here asking for advice on how to fit in with an academy that has already started.

Comment

good luck

I Personally Feel Sorry For That Civilian Who Insults You Because Of The Badge And Uniform You Wear And Represent..... With The Way You Take Everything So Damn Personal...your Called A Walkin Talkin Liability...pay Very Close Attention To The Ladder Of Continuum Force ...trust Me You'll Need It....good Luck

Comment

Listen, it's perfectly natural to wonder these things. But they will work out. You don't have to do anything special, know anything special. What I always like to tell people is......just be yourself, unless your an ackhole.
                              You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4219 users online. 184 members and 4035 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X