300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding Airport Police

Hey everybody, I have another question. I am a young officer with less then a year L.E. experience. Can anyone give me their opinions on Airport Police? Are they looked at in the same light as "regular" police officer. I have seen posts that reference college police but none regarding Airport Police. I live in FL and Airport Police here are fully certified LEO's just like any other Police Officer. To a citizen an Airport cop is probably the same as a "regular"cop
    But do other Officers have the same respect for Airport officers as they do "regular officers"

I am not going to pick a L.E. job based on its popularity but I dont want to work somewhere that other officers make jokes behind my back.

Also, if I worked for the Airport Police for a few years and then wanted to transfer to a large Police agency, do you think they will consider being an Airport officer on the same level as a "regular cop" ?

Thank you all very much for your help.

PS: When I refernce "regular cop" I am meaning municipal,county,state or federal police officers. I just didnt want to type all that out everytime.

Airport Police ARE the POLICE...at least in this neck of the woods and I am talking CVG...Cincinnati/Kentucky International Airport.

-Collin
    "Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

Comment

I appreciate that. Where I am at some officers make small cracks about some departments, generely campus cops or tiny municipalities. (1-5 officers) They tend to think that there not "real" cops. Dont get me wrong, they would back them up if neccessary and even be their friends. They just think that a "real" cop should work where there is "real" crime. I think it is because they are just narrowminded or it is that they are jealous because these other officers make the same if not more money then they do and yet they dont deal with inner city crime everyday. But that is just my opinion.

Comment

A lot of the disdain towards campus police and airport police comes from the general opinion of city police that those others don't have the same experience in "real" police work. I personally don't believe that this has any bearing on the quality of an applicant, I'd rather hire an airport officer with minimal experience but good qualities than a wingnut with 10 years on the road from another city. You should have to realize that you will not lack a lot of experience that comes with being a city, county, or state police if you work for the airport. You won't handle a lot of traffic enforcement (DWIs are minimal), you won't get to experience the wonderful world of domestic disputes in somebody's home, and you probably won't see a lot of drugs, even though you might be involved in the occasional big bust depending on which airport you're at.

On the other hand, you'll become an expert in dealing with people (many of them ****ed) from all walks of life. This is a VERY desirable skill in a police applicant and I'd make sure when you decide to transfer over to city police you emphasize your people skills.

Regardless, police is police is police...and you'll always hear one agency putting another down for whatever reason. Don't let it affect your job or your opinion of yourself, it's just talk.

Good luck,
        Gibbmusic
        Okay, just how big were those two beers sir?

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbmusic
          A lot of the disdain towards campus police and airport police comes from the general opinion of city police that those others don't have the same experience in "real" police work. I personally don't believe that this has any bearing on the quality of an applicant, I'd rather hire an airport officer with minimal experience but good qualities than a wingnut with 10 years on the road from another city. You should have to realize that you will not lack a lot of experience that comes with being a city, county, or state police if you work for the airport. You won't handle a lot of traffic enforcement (DWIs are minimal), you won't get to experience the wonderful world of domestic disputes in somebody's home, and you probably won't see a lot of drugs, even though you might be involved in the occasional big bust depending on which airport you're at.

On the other hand, you'll become an expert in dealing with people (many of them ****ed) from all walks of life. This is a VERY desirable skill in a police applicant and I'd make sure when you decide to transfer over to city police you emphasize your people skills.

Regardless, police is police is police...and you'll always hear one agency putting another down for whatever reason. Don't let it affect your job or your opinion of yourself, it's just talk.

Good luck,
          Gibbmusic
          Thank you very much for your positive statements, it makes me feel alot better knowing that it is probably just a small area of people that think negativley on the subject and not as a whole.

Comment

If any actual airport officers read this post, can you tell me in your mind what makes it different from being a city cop. I would like to take a ride along but they do not allow ride alongs. I have been a city cop so I kind of know what to expect if I became a deputy but becoming an airport officer I have no idea what to expect. I know that my main job is the public safety at the airport but I am assuming my role would be different at an airport rather then a city. Does anyone know if an airport officer in Florida has statewide jurisdiction,county or just jurisdiction on the airport grounds? Thanks to all that continue to help me in this matter

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6259 users online. 227 members and 6032 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X