300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any advice appreciated...

hello everybody. i posted this in another forum, but recieved few replie potentially b/c of the title. anyhow, i have been an observer for sometime and would like to ask you all your opinion about my situation in hopes of becoming a leo for the city of portland. in addition, i must comment on how interesting and well done this site is.

first i will explain why i need some advice:
    when i was 18 (1993) i was arrested with 2 other friends the time for smoking marijuana. i was never charged. my usage was then infrequent, and i haven't smoked it since. nor have i taken any other drugs throughout the last ~12.5 years since the arrest. i haven't had any run in with the law and i have very good credit.

next:
    i entered the military shortly after knowing i needed to change and grow up. so i served 3 years and was discharged honorably. shortly after my term was completed, i had realized that my time in the service changed me drastically. i began to gravitate towards a career in law enforcement shortly after my service was completed.
    i went ahead and got a job waiting tables, and during that time i started to get repeat customers. one who was a police officer on the swat team in mayport (jacksonville) florida. i discussed with him my aspirations and he told me that he believed there had not been enough time between my arrest. he recommeded i go back to school, stay out of trouble, and then try back after i completed some form of education.

well, here i am, 9 years later after he and i had this conversation, and i have only embraced this passion to become an leo even more.
    since then, i have recieved a B.S. in Environmental Chemistry with a minor in Chemistry. currently i finishing my M.S. in Physical/Analytical Chemistry. i believe my education may be a valuable asset to the police department. i chose such a field because i love what i do academically, and also was quite level headed in regard to the understanding that i may never have a shot at law enforcement, and may need a back up plan.

i look back and realize that i was a very confused kid. i wasn't mature for my age at the time, however, i carry no regret. my past actions only synthesized who i am today. and i am proud of who i am and what i have become.

and as you all may expect, my question is: do you think i have a shot at becoming a police officer?

thank you kindly for your thoughts, criticisms, encouragement, etc.

Originally posted by mepstein
    My question is: do you think i have a shot at becoming a police officer?
    Yes!

Seems like enough time has passed since the arrest and you have been on the right track for quite some time.

-Collin
    "Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

Comment

thanks collin. i appreciate your reply.

michael

Comment

Your fine. I wouldn't worry about the pot. Be remorseful, but explain that you believe that this arrest was the first in a sequence of events that helped to straighten your life out, and shaped you into the man that you are today. Emphasize that you are the some total of all of your accomplishments AND indisrections. Also, another good thing to say is "I, like anyone else would hate to judged on my worst day, rather than my best. I would think that you would want to evaluate me on the some total of my life and I think that you will find that my actions are consistent with that of an ethical, honorable, and hard working indivdual who made a mistake and learned from it" They love that kind of stuff on panels. Good luck.
        "Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most. " --Dwight K Schrute (The Office)

Comment

outstanding!

Originally posted by miked6
          Your fine. I wouldn't worry about the pot. Be remorseful, but explain that you believe that this arrest was the first in a sequence of events that helped to straighten your life out, and shaped you into the man that you are today. Emphasize that you are the some total of all of your accomplishments AND indisrections. Also, another good thing to say is "I, like anyone else would hate to judged on my worst day, rather than my best. I would think that you would want to evaluate me on the some total of my life and I think that you will find that my actions are consistent with that of an ethical, honorable, and hard working indivdual who made a mistake and learned from it" They love that kind of stuff on panels. Good luck.

Thank you much, that was very well articulated.

Comment

I know
            "Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most. " --Dwight K Schrute (The Office)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11494 users online. 418 members and 11076 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X