300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret Service Question

Hi everyone, I placed an application to the USSS for an agent position a two months ago, I know the process is very long, I was just wondering after they reviewed my application would I recieve a phone call or letter asking me to come in for an interview. Secondly, would the person who contacted me be the individaul that handles applications in the field office or headquarters. My final question is how long does it take to find out that the application process for me has been terminated? Would I recieve a letter in the mail about that? Thanks for everyone's help.

Pearljamknicks

check the site

for the thousands of posts

Comment

Originally posted by pearljamknicks
      Hi everyone, I placed an application to the USSS for an agent position a two months ago, I know the process is very long, I was just wondering after they reviewed my application would I recieve a phone call or letter asking me to come in for an interview. Secondly, would the person who contacted me be the individaul that handles applications in the field office or headquarters. My final question is how long does it take to find out that the application process for me has been terminated? Would I recieve a letter in the mail about that? Thanks for everyone's help.

Pearljamknicks
      Just going off of your profile, but are you a college student? If so, you do know that a degree is required for the Agent position, right...or have some LE experience? Other then that, you can either find your answers on here or on their website!
      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Hiring is usually handled through a local field office. They interview, conduct backgrounds and make a recommendation to the hiring authority in Washington. Generally the field office SAIC's judgement is trusted. The process ususally takes about a year to a year and half.

You really need either investigative experience, military commision, big city patrol experience and a BA or a Masters and patrol experience/military (enlisted or commisioned) experience. You will be notified by mail or phone depending on the phase of the process and you will know when you are eliminated. They send BQA (Better Qualified Applicant) letters.

If you know an agent for any agency that is willing to put in a good word for you, a BA and a little work experience could do the trick. All the big agencies are very political and it is really hard to get on with them unless you know someone.

Try a smaller federal law enforcement agency. There are 1811 (criminal investigator) positions with almost every federal agency from FDA, EPA, USDA to HUD, DHS, and DOJ.

My dad is retired Secret Service and he has alot of friends that are leaving the service b/c the nature of the work isn't conducive to any type of family life.
        "Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most. " --Dwight K Schrute (The Office)

Comment

Thanks miked6 that really helped out a lot, I really appreciate it. Yes, I do have a college degree. Here's another question which you may or may not know. If you did have a connection to someone in the Secret Service do u think that the process would be quicker or do u think that the process would continue at the normal pace? Just wondering. Thanks again miked6.

Comment

Originally posted by pearljamknicks
            Thanks miked6 that really helped out a lot, I really appreciate it. Yes, I do have a college degree. Here's another question which you may or may not know. If you did have a connection to someone in the Secret Service do u think that the process would be quicker or do u think that the process would continue at the normal pace? Just wondering. Thanks again miked6.
            No, you will be going through the same process as everyone else has.
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Actually Irishlad, it would move much faster. It isn't suposed to but it does. When someone vouches for you, you get a little bump to the top of the stack. It is really just an opportunity; what you do with it is up to you.

You will get an interview and a panel a little quicker than most. There are thousands of applicants, so anything that you can do to make yourself stand out is a good thing. It is also depends on how much juice your connection has, obvously. Generally though, if you somone inside puts in a good word, you have a degree, and a little experience somewhere you will get your shot to show them what you are made of. Good luck.
              Last edited by miked6; 02-17-2006, 08:59 PM.
              "Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most. " --Dwight K Schrute (The Office)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13010 users online. 480 members and 12530 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X