300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with oral interview

Hey guys, I'm about to graduate with my associate's in Criminal Justice, I have several certifications in LE, and have a pretty good knowledge of LE in general. I recently had an interview with Ocean City, for a Seasonal Police job. I passed the written and the physical agility, well over their minimum requirements, but when I had my oral interview the next day.... messed that all up! I got a letter in the mail a week later saying that I didnt pass the oral!

That was the hardest interview I've ever had! I didnt really give it much thought before hand, but now I really wish I would have. It's not like the questions were really hard, but I'm just not good at public speaking or answering on the spot questions. I guess I'm a dumbass for not looking into it first. It sucks because I know I'm better qualified than half of the other guys at the interview, I just cant interview well. But I would like to see as many questions as possible to familiarize myself, for the next one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Matt

Well, congrats on your graduation!

A search of this site will bring up a lot of interview stuff and my site has a pretty good list of the types of questions asked on an interview. I also go over a few interview questions each week and get various people to answer the questions and then we critique the answers. It will get you in the proper mindset for how you need to be thinking before you walk through that door.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

I'll check that out.

Thanks!!

Comment

Yeah if you don't interview well, then you need to fix that. Jobs are won and lost in the oral. Like Pk said, practice on the questions that are most commonly asked and have them down pat. Also know everything there is to know about the agency that your applying for. They love to hear you've done your research.

Comment

The Problem is Poor Oral Board Skills!

Most candidates do poorly on their oral boards. The problem is most of them don
          "Nothing counts til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com/lawenforcement.htm

Comment

Try CaptainBob's link and also try http://www.ecjtc.com/THE%20ORAL%20INTERVIEW.htm

I noticed that you said that you are not a good public speaker. Don't consider the panel members as you addressing as a random audience. Consider them as possibly your co-workers.

remember, they are not looking for a dissertation for answers, just for you to have sound judgement and can defend answers that you give.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt94z
              Hey guys, I'm about to graduate with my associate's in Criminal Justice, I have several certifications in LE, and have a pretty good knowledge of LE in general. I recently had an interview with Ocean City, for a Seasonal Police job. I passed the written and the physical agility, well over their minimum requirements, but when I had my oral interview the next day.... messed that all up! I got a letter in the mail a week later saying that I didnt pass the oral!

That was the hardest interview I've ever had! I didnt really give it much thought before hand, but now I really wish I would have. It's not like the questions were really hard, but I'm just not good at public speaking or answering on the spot questions. I guess I'm a dumbass for not looking into it first. It sucks because I know I'm better qualified than half of the other guys at the interview, I just cant interview well. But I would like to see as many questions as possible to familiarize myself, for the next one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
              Thanks, Matt
              The OCPD oral interview was pretty hard, A lot of people that I talked with did not pass it. But I just take as all part of the learning process

Comment

Stories Get Badges!

We encourage candidates to lace their oral board answers with personal life experiences. Since no one else can tell a candidate's life experience stories they can't be placed in the mold of a profile. They become unique, fresh and convincing. In a recent academy half the recruits were candidates who went used this approach. You couldn't tell one from the other in the oral board because they were using their own stuff. Not a profile robot
                "Nothing counts til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com/lawenforcement.htm

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7940 users online. 204 members and 7736 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X