300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Oral Boards

I have my oral board coming up. Can anyone help out?

Be prepared to.....................................

Answer a lot of Questions

Sorry had to be a jerk. Listen, your help question is a little too vague. I would suggest doing a search on this forum as there are many topis on this!

Also, if you decide later to ask the infamous question..."what kinds of questions will they ask", etc...it's better to be prepared in your own way. If others on here assist you on how to answer specific questions, you will go in there thinking that they may ask you a certain question, that you prepared for from here and all of a sudden, they ask you something completely opposite. Just don't answer the "why do you want to be a cop"...by answering" becasuse I want to help others"...thats my .02!! Good luck.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

On my Yahoo group (the link is in my sig line below) I have a list of common questions they might ask. I won't give the answers because you need to come up with your own or you'll sound canned and fake. We go over oral scenarios in the forum often and if you get in on the conversations you'll get an idea of how you need to be thinking before you walk into the interview.

Like Irish said, you can't be ready for every specific question but you can be ready for all the questions with proper conditioning of your thinking process.

Irish, I would love it if you would join up. You have a unique point of view and I think you could be helpful to lots of these new guys comming up.
      Last edited by pkagel; 02-14-2006, 03:15 PM.
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

About three weeks ago I sat in on a panel for new hires. We interviewed ten applicants. Our agency has a pre-set list of twenty questions. I have been on numerous oral boards where it ranges from 10-20 questions. Straight forward questions such as your biggest accomplishment to what do you feel is the biggest low point in your life. Some have scenarios.

My advice is be well groomed and your clothing pressed. Get a good night sleep be clean shaven. It will be noted some where on the form.

Listen to the question, and answer fully and truthfully. If you do not understand the question ask. Be patient and let the panel finish asking the question. Also do not feel you have to ramble on. If your answer is one sentence and you feel comfortable with it, leave it. I have seen many applicants ramble on and on because they thought there answer was to short. Be confident in your answers. They may seem silly to you but the panel is all ears. What I mean by this line is, let's say your biggest accomplishment is working to buy a car, or hitting the big home run to win a game. If that is your biggest accomplishment, state it and be proud and convey it. (Why is it your biggest accomplishment.)

Also do a little research on the department and area. That has come up on every one of my panels (Federal and Local). Do you want to work there because of promotion, assignments or various units. Hey state it.

Good Luck..

Comment

Be articulate and show a lot of confidence but not cockiness. We had a guy get hired with me that really didn't do well at all on the physical fitness test but they didn't mind so much b/c he was the most well spoken individual they have interviewed in the last 5 years.
          Marine Infantry - Taking out the trash one country at a time.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are."

"Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

Comment

Thanks for the feed back.

Comment

They always ask what your biggest weakness is, that is a certainty

Comment

Miracle Oral Board Tool!

One of the best things you can do to prepare for your upcoming oral board is to hear what the oral board is going to hear out of your mouth. You need to get married to your hand-held tape recorder. It narrows the distance between you and the badge you
                "Nothing counts til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com/lawenforcement.htm

Comment

Another thing to add to the last post is to put your suit on and have a friend ask you the questions. If he/she is in LE all the better. They'll be able to ask you follow up questions and work you into a corner. Put it on video and watch yourself in the video to see if you have any weird habits that you need to eliminate.
                  "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12222 users online. 449 members and 11773 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X