300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Out of College

Hi everyone I just wanted to state that this forum has been very informative and an excellent resource. I know many of you may be tired of people writing in about getting their foot into LE, but here I go. I am 21 years old and I recently graduated from college a few months ago in Criminal Justice. My GPA was good and I had an internship with a federal agency. My work experience overall has been pretty much the standard high school/ college jobs so i'm lacking in experience. I have recently sent in applications into the USSS and the DEA and am currently studying for the Border Patrol Exam. I have also applied to a few police departments hoping that they would sponsor me so I could go through the police academy. As you all know is that responses vary so much from several months to practically a year. I'm looking for random jobs to keep money coming in as well. My dilemma is that there is a police academy basic training program beginning in June which is being held but will cost approximately $5,000+ out of my own pocket. Of course I would have to go through the standard process, but I'm more likely to get into this police academy since I'm not depending on a police office to sponsor me. The upside is that I would be certified for Class A counties and would be able to apply for jobs in policing. On the other hand, I paid for college which definately took a big chunk of money out of my account. I could have just skipped college and attended the police academy. I'm tempted to just wait for the police office to give me a call and not have to pay the money, but also there's the very good chance that I may never get the call. What do u guys think I should do? Secondly,what jobs do u think are good for LE experience other than internships which usually do not pay. If any of you know of any jobs in the St. Louis area please tell me. My third question is whether or not it is proper to call up the agencies to check up on your application status, mainly to see if you're denied. I believe that letters arrive in the mail to tell you the status of your application as well. I understand that patience is the key to LE positions in all areas of the job including the application process. Thanks for your time and thanks a lot for a great site and a place to talk abotu LE.

Pearljamknicks

Ok, I would not call up any agencies to see if your accepted or denied or even mention that. That, you will just have ot be patient...and with the government....patience can take 6 months to 1.5 years easily.

However, you can call the agency and ask "Sir/Mam, my name is [your name] and was interested in the position for [the title of position] and the number of the position dated (usually top right corner of announcement, and then just ask if they mearly recieved your paperwork and to make sure its still there and filed. That way you know they have it and it didnt get lost in the mail. Thats about it really....if you talk to someone from Human Resources then perhaps you can throw in a "Ok glad you still have it. Do you know how many they are planning on hiring?" or you can ask things evading a direct line of questioning about did you make it...but rather stress that you want the job and even ask if you can perhaps call back in 2-4 moths to see the STATUS of your paperwork. Hope that helps.

Comment

I am kind of in the same boat, although I dont even have an internship with a federal agency, and only a B.S. in business managment. Im 23, and was told that it can be hard to get hired by the federal agencies even at my age, let alone 21. With more experience like yours you might be better off, but I guess it all depends.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6643 users online. 360 members and 6283 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X