300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undergrad looking for career in civil rights

Hello Everyone, I'm sorry for this repost-- It's in ask-a-cop, however, I think it's far better served here.

I was curious about my qualifications and my chances of a job in this profession.

Right now I am at Old Dominion University with a 3.5 in political science (empasis in public law) and a minor in english as well as econ. I'm also an eagle scout and asst. scout master. Experience is where I get nailed at, on my resume all I have is an internership as a clerk in an investing company and four years on the exec board of a college radio station. I have no record in anyway as of right now with a totally clean liscense. Another draw back is my size, I'm 5'6"; 130 pounds. The physical test doesn't bother me so much, I run highschool as well as some college track and can clock a 4:30 mile, I'm not sure about how much I can lift or how fast I can take someone down on the other hand.

I'm looking to serve in civil rights or a non sworn position as professional support. I've heard these types of jobs are very hard to get. I'm looking towards an FBI/CIA career path, or something such as the N.C. Bureau of Investigation. Are the state bureau's hard to get into as well? And what is there I can do outside of internships to increase my chances of getting these types of jobs.

Thanks Alot
    Will Powers

p.s. Anyone know a sworn position not requiring to work midnight till 9 am, drop me a line, I'm in.
    Last edited by wpowe008; 02-11-2006, 04:50 PM.

Originally posted by wpowe008
    Hello Everyone, I'm sorry for this repost-- It's in ask-a-cop, however, I think it's far better served here.

I was curious about my qualifications and my chances of a job in this profession.

Right now I am at Old Dominion University with a 3.5 in political science (empasis in public law) and a minor in english as well as econ. I'm also an eagle scout and asst. scout master. Experience is where I get nailed at, on my resume all I have is an internership as a clerk in an investing company and four years on the exec board of a college radio station. I have no record in anyway as of right now with a totally clean liscense. Another draw back is my size, I'm 5'6"; 130 pounds. The physical test doesn't bother me so much, I run highschool as well as some college track and can clock a 4:30 mile, I'm not sure about how much I can lift or how fast I can take someone down on the other hand.

I'm looking to serve in civil rights or a non sworn position as professional support. I've heard these types of jobs are very hard to get. I'm looking towards an FBI/CIA career path, or something such as the N.C. Bureau of Investigation. Are the state bureau's hard to get into as well? And what is there I can do outside of internships to increase my chances of getting these types of jobs.

Thanks Alot
    Will Powers

p.s. Anyone know a sworn position not requiring to work midnight till 9 am, drop me a line, I'm in.
    Well getting a job with the FBI or CIA is difficult no matter what. Having a degree is essential for those two agencies. With the FBI its mandatory. They do get so many applicants that someone with only a degree with no prior work experience will be difficult to overcome.
    The state bureau's, (and someone will correct me if im wrong) can only be attained if you are a State Trooper. Atleast thats how it is in Alabama.
    Also, if your not interested in working 3rd shift, dont bother looking for a sworn position. Police Officers are required to work all shifts.
    Why dont you want to work night shift?
    Your size is will only be a problem if you start applying with agencies. Yuo can run better than anyone I know, but if you dont know your own strength, that might be a problem. Some PT tests require you to push a car, do pushups, climb fences, body drag, etc.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I had no idea about the state trooper req.

I'm not sure what I have against the 3rd shift, I just don't feel as if I'd be a strong canidaite to be a sworn officer. The idea of my wife working 8:30-5:00 and then me working 10:00pm till 6:00 am and then she's off to work seems unenjoyable.

I've read atleast in NC and VA that the state agency's use professional positions in different types of anaylst, I know the feds is extremely hard for those jobs, to go unsworn state agency is that hard as well?

Thank you again for the advice, it was more helpful than you know.

Will Powers

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I had no idea about the state trooper req.

I'm not sure what I have against the 3rd shift, I just don't feel as if I'd be a strong canidaite to be a sworn officer. The idea of my wife working 8:30-5:00 and then me working 10:00pm till 6:00 am and then she's off to work seems unenjoyable.

I've read atleast in NC and VA that the state agency's use professional positions in different types of anaylst, I know the feds is extremely hard for those jobs, to go unsworn state agency is that hard as well?

Thank you again for the advice, it was more helpful than you know.

Will Powers
        When you asked about the state bureaus, I thought you were referring to investigation type positions. They are the ones I was referring to as the state patrol requirement. Im sure all state bureaus do have support staff for civilians, but I dont know of any off hand.
        In reference to you being a bad shot. Practice makes perfect.
        I know what you mean about working opposite shifts then your wife. My wife hated when i was assigned to 3rd shift, but she knew it only lasted a few months and then I was back on days. Its a sacrifice that you have to make if you choose LE.
        Keep checking your states bureaus website for job openings. They will tell you what the requirements will be etc.
        Good luck!

Comment

I meant to ask there...

I know it varies between stations but, how long did you work third shift and for how long?

Like-- was that your only shift 5 days a week or did you work 3 3rd shifts and 2 2nd shifts.

Basiclly how many days were you working and for how long did you have to work that shift?

I apologize if that seems like an ignorant question but I honestly have no idea how something like that works and I prefer to hear it from a regular officer than recruiting officer.

Thanks again.

Comment

I meant to ask there...

I know it varies between stations but, how long did you work third shift and for how long?

Like-- was that your only shift 5 days a week or did you work 3 3rd shifts and 2 2nd shifts.

Basiclly how many days were you working and for how long did you have to work that shift?

I apologize if that seems like an ignorant question but I honestly have no idea how something like that works and I prefer to hear it from a regular officer than recruiting officer.

Thanks again.
            If you are looking at a job in LE, most departments worki rotating shifts. Now each and every department is different. Some work 12Hrs, 10Hrs, and 8Hr shifts. It's hard to pin-point an exact schedule for you if you are not working somewhere now or have an idea of what department you are looking at. You could end up on permanent mid-night shift a one department or permanent Day Shift. Your questions have too much variables to them.

To me it seems as if you want to work in LE, but yet don't want to actually be a LEO? If I am wrong sorry. But worrying about what shift you would work already, well I am going to be straight forward with you and tell you LE is not what you should go into if you are worried about what days or shifts you would be working. I would strongly urge you to stick with a typcial 9-5 desk job then attempt to go into LE, and give up because you are working nights, etc.
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I meant to ask there...

Thanks again.
              Well for my department, we worked 4 days in a row, and then we were off 4 days in a row. We stayed on a particular shift for 4 months and then switch. So if I was on 3rd shift it was for 4 months. Then I would switch to day shift and do that for 4 months.
              My department worked 12 hours shifts. 6pm-6am or 6am to 6pm. i loved this shift because it gave us 4 days off in a row which was nice for traveling or just relaxing.

Comment

All of your state DCI, or Public Safety agencies and many of your large local agencies employ what is called a crime analyst which is what I believe you are lurking about for. I have a couple friends in that gig and both of their backgrounds are out the military in intelligence analysis. Lots of statistics, trending etc.

If you are interested in investigating but not getting into the physical stuff, which is no big deal, the physical stuff isn't for everyone, check with the feds. I don't know their web site off the top of my head but they have an employement series for civilian investigators called 1810 positions. College degree with a 3.5 and if you are willing to start in a big city you can walk in the door on just your degree. You might check 1801 and 1802 series gigs too to get your foot in the door.

There are also several positions with the feds and states for audit type investigations. Another thing you may want to look at is the Government Accountablilty Office or GAO. I forget the title of their investigator type positions but it is a very interesting position. I have a similar education background as yours but unlike you, I love the working nights and rolling around in the mud stuff. I looked into these folks when I graduated and a buddy of mine went to work for them for a short time and loved it but jumped over to the intelligence world and then I lost contact with him. It was called something different back then but still the same concept.

Good Lcuk whatever you do.

Comment

That was extremly helpful, you pretty much nailed it right on the head.

I've been trying to find the title/source number to look it up and that was it. I live in the Virginia Beach area, so I'm thinking I could deal with a move to DC out of college. But thanks alot for that it was excatly what I was trying to say myself, only better.

Comment

***** CIVIL RIGHTS??&^

Maybe you could go down to the 9th Ward in New Orleans and help Mayor Nagin rebuild his "chocolate" city... lol

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5504 users online. 242 members and 5262 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X