300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tobacco

I am about to apply to a local department, but I am concerned about one of their requirements. On the job announcement it says this:

Sounds like discrimination to me. I could see not allowing it while yo uare on duty but not in your private time
    Gods Speed

Comment

Nah it's not Discrimination, I have heard of several departments doing this. Departments that require you to have a degree...if that Disrimination?
      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

The liberals are at it again...............you EVIL tobacco addict!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

No that is an education requirement. Tobacco is different, so if they tell you they wont hire you because you live in a mobile home not a $300,000 home same thing
          Gods Speed

Comment

If your refering to me......no not a liberal. Expain to me how tobacco makes you a better or worse cop. I don't smoke or chew but I think it is crap to be told you cant. Yes in public while on duty maybe not a good idea for PR reasons and the look of the department but in your own home. Next they will determine what toilet paper you can use.
            Gods Speed

Comment

I'm not sure about the LE side of things-- but I do know for awhile where I went to highschool teachers were not allowed to smoke in public, nor were they allowed to buy tobacco or alcohol at stores within the school district.

The idea was these are our "everyday heros" and its sets a poor example. So they were allowed at home to do as they pleased, but as far as driving down the road smoking a cigar it was frowned upon.

Comment

Originally posted by K9tosca
                If your refering to me......no not a liberal.

I wasn't............referring to the policy.

Comment

Mike I am not mad at you brother, just think these rules are getting outa hand. Remember we are on the same side.
                  Gods Speed

Comment

Originally posted by K9tosca
                    Mike I am not mad at you brother, just think these rules are getting outa hand. Remember we are on the same side.

10-4, I feel the same way.......too many laws, not enough time to enforce them (thank goodness)

Comment

lots of companies are now doing this because of health insurance reasons. If you want the job bad enough then I guess you have to quit.
                      Leave Space Empty

Comment

Back to the cigar issue, do you think the department will view a couple of social cigars through-out the year the same way?

Comment

Originally posted by laughlinww
                          Back to the cigar issue, do you think the department will view a couple of social cigars through-out the year the same way?
                          I would think yes, but that would be up to that individual Department. SO if you want to smoke a cigar from time to time and you are working there...just don't get caught...
                          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11539 users online. 436 members and 11103 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X