300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promotion levels in DEA

If you enter the DEA as a GS7, approximately how long does it take to make it to the GS9 level. Then from there to the 11 level. Just curious.

Originally posted by blakech47
    If you enter the DEA as a GS7, approximately how long does it take to make it to the GS9 level. Then from there to the 11 level. Just curious.
    Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure it is a year between steps.

Comment

The way it works is if you are hired as a GS7-01, next year you will go to a GS09-step 1. The particulary agency you are asking about goes to a Journeyman 12, no 13's I believe, I could be wrong though. I have to ask one. The steps are called within grade increases. Before you move to a GS09-01, you are promoted to a GS07-02, then the next paycheck is the GS09-01. HR decides the GS scale and the steps you are fired at. Questions?

Comment

You start as a GS-7 or a GS-9 depending on your experience. After one year as a GS-9 you become a GS-11, then after another year your a GS-12. After one year as a GS-12 you can apply to be a GS-13 by presenting a detailed package of your past cases. The cases must be long term not just buy busts. This package goes up the chain of command and if everyone gives you the thumbs up you get your GS-13. All 1811's in DEA get 25% added to their pay for overtime on every paycheck, this is because you always average more then 40 hours a week. A GS-13 makes about $97,000 a year (after the 25% added in) depending on what part of the country you live in. One agent in New York or LA would make more then say an agent in South East because of the cost of living. After your GS-13 you get little raises called "steps". A lot of agents stay at the GS-13 level because after that your time in the field starts to go down. After the 13 you can take a SAPP test to become a supervisor GS-14 (call Group Supervisor or GS). Then there are GS-15's that are like the supervisors of the supervisors. Hope this helps explain the pay sytem for you.

Comment

Ah,...the affectionately referred to acronym of DEA. I know lots of good SA's, but yes, Don't Expect Anything. Heehee. It is quite the shame that the cost of living is different in parts of the country. I heard of agents commuting early in the morning just to sleep in their G-rides before shift. I have also known agents who have picked specific duty stations because of the cost of living. That figures well for those along the border, well,...certain parts of it anyways.

Comment

If you start as a GS-7, you generally make GS- 9 in a year.
            If you start as a GS-9 you generally make GS-11 in a year.
            A year as a GS-9 generally gets you a GS-12.
            After a year as a GS -12, you can put in for a promotion to GS-13, based on performance and case work. Most agents get it within 1 to 3 years.
            GS-13 is journeyman (non-supervisory) pay.

GS-14, GS -15, and SES 1-6 are supervisory promotions that DEA agents compete for.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9489 users online. 299 members and 9190 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X