300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are my odds?

I know it's impossible to tell me a straight up answer on this one, and I've seen similar topics come up searching through old posts, but I just have to ask opinions on this one. I've always been interested by law enforcement (I know, who hasn't). I've always felt that it would be a great career and I would love doing something in law enforcement. I have a pretty spotless past, I'm physically in shape and I consider myself pretty smart and level-headed. Here's my issue. No college under my belt. Here's my second issue. I'm 32 years old. I would have loved to gone to college, but it was always hard to come up with the extra money,and then you get married, and then have kids and before you know it half of your life is gone. I'm also kicking around the idea of getting into school now ,in hopes of getting a law enforcement job in a few years. By then i'd be 35+, and it seems like most deparments won't hire past 35. So I kinda have a 3 year window here to do something or I'm out. I'm applying for corrections jobs and patrol, and would be happy with either job....Any thoughts?

Let me just say this. In my academy class (and other classes I was told), we had a couple of guys in their 50s. There are some age restrictions for federal jobs, but many local/county LE agencies will hire good candidates with level heads. I would suggest you to try to go to a local/community college and at least attain an associate's degree. It doesn't have to be in criminal justice, but I would certainly get a little college under your belt to give you a little more edge.

Most applicant testing consists of written exams, agility tests, and interviews. If you can hold your own and do well on the interview(s), then you have just as good a chance as anyone else.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

If you want to get in LE do it now. Don't wait to have a college education and then apply. You will find a lot of departments will hired you without one. If you do a little research you will also find that many Departments will pay for College tuition once you are employed by them. As for your age, I believe it is the right age for this line of work. Being a little older helps with a lot of the situations you will encountered working as a LEO.

The process of becoming a LEO can be a quick or lenghtly one. It all depends on which department you apply for. You should not have a problem if you are physically fit and have a clean record. Good luck to you.

Comment

Thanks for the replies !!!! Anyone else have an opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by angelasdad
          Thanks for the replies !!!! Anyone else have an opinion?
          Apply now. If you have a good solid backgrouind as well as a good solid steady work history, etc, don't let the age thing get in your way or not having any college. My first LE job, I was one of the only "street guys" that had any college, besides the Brass. If you want to still do the school thing, i would do so and apply as well. Showing on your application or background that you have some school will not hurt your chances at all. Good luck and be sure where you apply does not require you to have any college.
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

All depends where in the country you are. We do hire guys in their 30's quite frequently. My advise to you is, if your seriously considering getting in to law enforcement, take as many test as possible. It is always easier to turn down a job, once offered, then to think "I wish I worked there". Just remember, Law Enforcement and Corrections are TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT jobs. Anyone who tells you different is a C.O.
            "Players practice till they get it right, Professionals practice till they can't get it wrong!"

Comment

Hope this helps.............

I'm 35yo(36 in July), only an AA Degree from 1994 and I am starting an academy in April. Go for it as there are many places that a degree is not necessary

GL
              Leave Space Empty

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10820 users online. 375 members and 10445 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X