Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the hiring done by the individual offices?

Comment

Yea, jus like other Fed jobs they open for a specific location, and if hired thats where you'll be working.

Comment

I saw they had an opening posted on USAJOBS

http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.as...0+00%3a03%3a00

A couple of quick questions about this position for manstown or someone else who is already a DUSM.

Earlier in this thread they talked about being able to merit promote to DUSM from this position, is that true? Is there a lot of transporting inmates, or is it mainly being a federal jailer?

Also I notice that they don't hire very often for this position, and very rarely in my part of the country, is there some reason why they don't have many DEO's and AEO's? I thought that since the USMS has their air hub here in Kansas City, there would be more need for AEO's around here, but I have never seen a listing for that position or for DEO in Kansas City.
        What is Perseverance?
        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Thanks for the link; just applied.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
            but I have never seen a listing for that position or for DEO in Kansas City.
            There are no DEO's in KC unless it as very, very recently changed....... They just don't use them...

They do use local LEOs who are off-duty to do stuff for them. Good change if you can get into that gig.......

Comment

Also, there is no more merit promotion from DEO to DUSM. DEO's have to apply just like anyone else for DUSM positions. at least that is what the DEO's here had to do.

Comment

It is corrections work but their is a light at the end of the bullpen. If you are a worker and you don't bang in and you play well with others you can promote up within the USMS. But make no mistake, it is corrections work and you will be doing it for a number of years before the chance to move up comes. Some areas are better to work in than others. The head of the USMS in each court district is a political appointee so some of them are real jackoffs who do not have their peoples respect or back. I use to work in the southern district of NY as a BOP C/O and I would deal with the USMS quite a bit. Some of them were my former coworkers and they liked the USMS less than the BOP due to the BS. But a lot of people who worked in the Southern district for the USMS wanted out of NYC for a lot of valid reasons and it was not just the money. DEU is not a bad job if you know how to deal with convicts. The MS did not put up with as much BS as I did as a C/O. They would take care of business quick if a I/M got out of line. If you can jail for 4 to 6 years, you can promote. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                  There are no DEO's in KC unless it as very, very recently changed....... They just don't use them...

They do use local LEOs who are off-duty to do stuff for them. Good change if you can get into that gig.......
                  Same in Chicago. One of our retired guys was killed in a shoot out working it about 17 yrs ago in the garage at the Fed Courthouse downtown..

Comment

Hmmmm..........

I talked to the marshals office yesterday and they told me that going in as DEO is really smart, even though it doesnt really affect your chances when it comes to the big recruiting drives it helps when they hire ones and two's. I actually have a question someone might be able to answer, what are the qualifications for DEO? I have a bachelors degree in criminal justice and 4 years of military, does this help me?

Comment

Originally posted by Huntman
                      How do you find out what all states the Detention Enforcement Officer position is in?
                      Over the last year since I started paying attention, I have only seen it listed in a few places. Washington DC, Phoenix, Oklahoma City, Dallas, and just today a position in Atlanta opened.

http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.as...2+08%3a48%3a00

Originally posted by 173rd_the_Herd View Post
                      I talked to the marshals office yesterday and they told me that going in as DEO is really smart, even though it doesnt really affect your chances when it comes to the big recruiting drives it helps when they hire ones and two's. I actually have a question someone might be able to answer, what are the qualifications for DEO? I have a bachelors degree in criminal justice and 4 years of military, does this help me?
                      Here are the qualifications:

Detention Enforcement Officer

QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:

TIME IN GRADE REQUIREMENTS

Current or former federal employees applying under merit promotion procedures must meet applicable time-in-grade requirements to be considered eligible. One year of experience at the GS-6 or equivalent grade level is required for the GS-7 level.

SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT

All applicants must have one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-06 which demonstrates skill in applying standard law enforcement practices and procedures in order to secure and safeguard prisoners/detainees. You must be proficient in the use of firearms, including handguns and shotguns.

AGE REQUIREMENT

You must be appointed before your 37th birthday, unless previously covered by Federal law enforcement retirement.

OTHER REQUIREMENTS

All new Detention Enforcement Officers are required to complete a rigorous basic training program conducted at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) in Glynco, Georgia, regardless of any prior law enforcement training or experience. The training program lasts for one month. Failure to successfully complete the training program may result in the termination of employment. Incumbent will be required to carry a firearm while performing duties and maintain firearm proficiency.

You must obtain a commercial driver's license within a year of employment.

Must be physically able to perform all of the strenuous duties involved in DEO assignments. Some of the duties require physical stamina in resisting assault; in running long distances to reach the scene of emergencies; in repelling or resisting intruders; in withstanding exposure to extreme weather conditions; in working alongside inmates in confined areas; in sitting in vehicles for extended periods; and in standing in detention areas for extended periods of time.

PHSYCIAL REQUIREMENTS

Applicant must be physically able to perform all of the strenuous duties involved in DEO assignments. Some of the duties require physical stamina in resisting assault; in running long distances to reach the scene of emergencies; in repelling or resisting intruders; in withstanding exposure to extreme weather conditions; in working alongside inmates in confined areas; in sitting in vehicles for extended periods; and in standing in detention areas for extended periods of time.

This position is open to all US Citizens and Merit Promotion eligibles. You may apply under both merit promotion and open-competitive procedures, however; you must meet the requirements for one of the following categories to apply as a Merit Promotion eligible.

1. Current permanent competitive service employee; former Federal employee who achieved career status in the competitive service; or former Federal employee who served on a career conditional appointment without achieving career status in the competitive service who was separated less than three years ago. You must submit your most recent performance evaluation and SF-50 to be considered.

2. Veteran applying for a Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA). You must submit a copy of your DD-214 showing that you were honorably discharged to be considered.

3. Veteran applying under the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA). You must submit a copy of your DD-214 showing that you were honorably discharged to be considered.

4. 30% or more Disabled Veteran. You must submit your DD214, a completed SF-15, and letter from the VA dated 1991 or later as proof to be considered.

5. A Severely Physically Handicapped Schedule ‘A' Appointment. Please submit documentation from a State Vocational Rehabilitation Service as proof to be considered.

6. A Former Peace Corps or VISTA Volunteers Appointment. Please submit documentation as proof to be considered.
                      What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Too easy, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by GB0610
                          FYI - Getting hired as a DEO is harder than getting on as a DUSM. You need to have substantial prior LE experience to get a DEO spot. You can simply have a degree or have spent time in the service to become a Deputy.

By no means is it easy. Your competition is VERY stiff.
                          I figured I would try to merit promote into a position in a few years from the BOP. Unless of course they open FCIP for DUSM again in 2-3 years.
                          What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

You took that way out of context, I was just saying the requirements aren't that hard, I realize competion for 2 jobs in the whole country will be stiff.

Comment

damn!, I'm too ...geriatrically advanced.
                              Timelines:

CBPO
                              App: 2/12/09
                              Geo: Revised; CA Long Beach, San Bernardino, L.A.
                              Written: 2/20/09
                              NOR: 3/2/09 (81 no vet pref.)
                              TO: ? (reached my 37th bday 9/09)

IEA
                              App: 5/5/09
                              Geo: San Diego
                              Written: 6/5/09 (75.8 no vet pref.)
                              NOR: 7/20/09
                              Faxed Documents: 7/7/09
                              TO: 10/6/09
                              Mailed Documents: 10/16/09
                              Oral Interview: 12/02/09 Passed

BPA
                              Geo: SW Border-El Centro/San Diego Area
                              App: 8/17/10
                              Written: 10/6 Passed (73 w/ no vet pref.)
                              TO: 11/10/10 (pre emp forms due 11/22)

Comment

this may be a stupid question, but what is the IEA ?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11945 users online. 459 members and 11486 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X