Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detention Enforcement Officer (DEO), US Marshals

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I just applied

    Comment


    • This job only goes to GL-7?

      Comment


      • Looks like starts at 5, that’s a big cut for most people, doesn’t look like it’s open to the public either. I assume you get sworn in as a Special Deputy U.S. Marshal. Sounds like a great job if you can find a way to get paid, are they only bringing people in at 5? Will they match pay? Sounds like a great way to get your foot in the door.
        Last edited by LadyKiller; 09-10-2018, 07:39 PM.

        Comment


        • KJB
          KJB commented
          Editing a comment
          I am a 8 Step 7, I might be willing to do it if they gave me 7 Step 9 or 10 pay.

      • Originally posted by LadyKiller View Post
        Looks like starts at 5, that’s a big cut for most people, doesn’t look like it’s open to the public either. I assume you get sworn in as a Special Deputy U.S. Marshal. Sounds like a great job if you can find a way to get paid, are they only bringing people in at 5? Will they match pay? Sounds like a great way to get your foot in the door.
        The DEO position is in itself a sworn federal law enforcement position, with 12d law enforcement covered retirement. They have a badge and carry guns as part of their duties. They are also allowed to carry under FLEOSA. In many offices, they assist DUSMs during operations and enforcement, in addition to managing the cellblocks.

        The highest pay grade they will offer you is GL-7/10. They will also match your pay up this pay grade.

        There are many great DUSMs that started as DEOs with the USMS. I have heard BOP considers this job as a promotion in terms of working hours and the chance of getting their foot in the door with USMS.
        Last edited by MaxD1207; 09-12-2018, 11:28 PM.

        Comment


        • raptor170
          raptor170 commented
          Editing a comment
          What about work schedule?

      • Originally posted by MaxD1207 View Post

        The DEO position is in itself a sworn federal law enforcement position, with 12d law enforcement covered retirement. They have a badge and carry guns as part of their duties. They are also allowed to carry under FLEOSA. In many offices, they assist DUSMs during operations and enforcement, in addition to managing the cellblocks.

        The highest pay grade they will offer you is GL-7/10. They will also match your pay up this pay grade.

        There are many great DUSMs that started as DEOs with the USMS. I have heard BOP considers this job as a promotion in terms of working hours and the chance of getting their foot in the door with USMS.
        Sounds good, I didn't know they could offer a 7/10 with the job being listed as a 5, that certainly makes it more attractive. So, are you a Special Deputy U.S. Marshal, like task force guys from other agencies, in this position then?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by LadyKiller View Post

          Sounds good, I didn't know they could offer a 7/10 with the job being listed as a 5, that certainly makes it more attractive. So, are you a Special Deputy U.S. Marshal, like task force guys from other agencies, in this position then?
          Like I stated above, DEOs are USMS sworn federal law enforcement officers. Special DUSM designations are reserved for TFOS and other deputized personnel.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by MaxD1207 View Post

            Like I stated above, DEOs are USMS sworn federal law enforcement officers. Special DUSM designations are reserved for TFOS and other deputized personnel.
            Also, the promotion potential for this position is GL-7, so in 2 years you can max out as 7/10, even if you get hired as a GL-5, coming from a higher paying pay grade.

            Comment


            • RedBeardRanger
              RedBeardRanger commented
              Editing a comment
              You would not be a 7 step 10 after 2 years. You would be a 7 step 1, and then follow the standard OPM step- ladder.

            • MaxD1207
              MaxD1207 commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by MaxD1207 View Post

              Also, the promotion potential for this position is GL-7, so in 2 years you can max out as 7/10, even if you get hired as a GL-5, coming from a higher paying pay grade.
              Wrong. If you are coming from a higher paying grade than 7/10, your paygrade progression for DEO will be 5/10, 6/10 and 7/10, one year in each paygrade until you max out after two years at 7/10.

          • EDIT: Nevermind, read the thread.
            Last edited by Checkmate; 09-13-2018, 11:58 AM.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by MaxD1207 View Post

              Also, the promotion potential for this position is GL-7, so in 2 years you can max out as 7/10, even if you get hired as a GL-5, coming from a higher paying pay grade.
              That's interesting, so they aren't sworn in as a Special DUSM, or a DUSM? I've never seen anyone from the Marshals Service carrying anything other than Special Deputy or Deputy creds (we dont have a DEO here) so are there different credentials for a DEO?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by LadyKiller View Post

                That's interesting, so they aren't sworn in as a Special DUSM, or a DUSM? I've never seen anyone from the Marshals Service carrying anything other than Special Deputy or Deputy creds (we dont have a DEO here) so are there different credentials for a DEO?
                Their badge is the same size and shape as a DUSM but it says Detention Enforcement Officer, their creds say the same.

                Comment


                • I applied... Not crazy about maxing out at GL 7 though.

                  Comment


                  • KJB
                    KJB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Just think of it this way, if you went to the BOP you would be doing similar work with no guarantee of going higher than 7 anyway. This will give you a much easier chance at becoming a Deputy US Marshal than your average BOP employee.

                • [QUOTE=MaxD1207;n6693082]

                  Last edited by MaxD1207; 09-18-2018, 05:08 PM. Reason: Wrong thread

                  Comment


                  • I don’t know if anyone is following for this but I got referred for a couple of the positions I put in for. Tucson, Phx, El Paso and Houston

                    Comment


                    • I am mxxdude, I also got referred for Laredo. Do you have any idea what would be next?

                      Comment


                      • mxxdude
                        mxxdude commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I’m not 100% sure buddy I also got referred for the DUSM recently but I believe setting up an interview comes next? Then possibly medical drug testing and background? Not 100% though.

                    • referred to houston not crazy about going back to 5...but i need to get back home
                      Last edited by Evolution81; 10-12-2018, 08:55 PM.

                      Comment

                      MR300x250 Tablet

                      Collapse

                      What's Going On

                      Collapse

                      There are currently 12473 users online. 475 members and 11998 guests.

                      Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                      Welcome Ad

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X