Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok these DEO hiring questions and just the whole process has got me ticked. I got a hair up my but and called the lady listed on the site. I was asking her how people are getting referred and what they are looking for? She said "its all based on your rating" I said well everytime I get a different rating even though I answer the questions the same. She went on and on about how you rate yourself and so on and so forth. Basicly they dont even look at your resume or other paperwork if you dont answer the questions like they want. She was very rude and just refused to answer any of my questions. This is a very competitive LEO position, but if you dont have experience as a Jailer or Prison guard then you are SOL. For me to take anyone of these jobs now it would be a step back, not because I think I'm beyond them, but because of my age. I have clearly defined goals and to get them is becoming more of a hassle than I thought. Sorry if I offend somebody, but this job seems harder to get than most Federal LEO positions.

Comment

• Originally posted by 173rd_the_Herd View Post
      Ok these DEO hiring questions and just the whole process has got me ticked. I got a hair up my but and called the lady listed on the site. I was asking her how people are getting referred and what they are looking for? She said "its all based on your rating" I said well everytime I get a different rating even though I answer the questions the same. She went on and on about how you rate yourself and so on and so forth. Basicly they dont even look at your resume or other paperwork if you dont answer the questions like they want. She was very rude and just refused to answer any of my questions. This is a very competitive LEO position, but if you dont have experience as a Jailer or Prison guard then you are SOL. For me to take anyone of these jobs now it would be a step back, not because I think I'm beyond them, but because of my age. I have clearly defined goals and to get them is becoming more of a hassle than I thought. Sorry if I offend somebody, but this job seems harder to get than most Federal LEO positions.
      It is harder to get than most federal leo jobs, and quite honestly I don't think it's worth it.

Honestly, there would be little benefit for you getting that job over getting a job with the BOP. In fact I would even think that the BOP has more promotional opportunities. It's not like a DEO can merit promote into a DUSM. Yes working for the US marshals is seen as more prestigious than working for the BOP, but when it comes down to it, You would be a federal leo, with the law enforcement retirement. You can carry concealed on your credentials alone. You get paid the special law enforcement base pay rates. You have lots of training and career enhancement opportunities. You are trained at fletc. You have a government security clearance and can apply for other positions only open to status candidates.

The DEO position doesn't even pay better than being a BOP CO. So my suggestion to you is apply with us. We have several facilities in your state.

MCC Chicago
      USP Marion
      FCI Pekin
      FCI Greenville
      coming soon FCC Thomson
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• Yeah I would love to work in Marion, but I heard it was almost impossible to get. I wouldnt even nowhere to apply.

Comment

Yeah I would love to work in Marion, but I heard it was almost impossible to get. I wouldnt even nowhere to apply.
          Well let me help you out.

http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.as...2+05%3a20%3a00

^^That is the general announcement for the position of entry level correctional officer. Once you apply, you can select the specific facilities where you would be willing to work. Marion may or may not be hiring right now, I really have no way to tell, all I can suggest is that you apply. The facility where I work was supposedly not hiring either, but I applied anyway, and it paid off when 10 months later they called me for an interview.
          What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• double post
            What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
              It is harder to get than most federal leo jobs, and quite honestly I don't think it's worth it.

Honestly, there would be little benefit for you getting that job over getting a job with the BOP. In fact I would even think that the BOP has more promotional opportunities. It's not like a DEO can merit promote into a DUSM. Yes working for the US marshals is seen as more prestigious than working for the BOP, but when it comes down to it, You would be a federal leo, with the law enforcement retirement. You can carry concealed on your credentials alone. You get paid the special law enforcement base pay rates. You have lots of training and career enhancement opportunities. You are trained at fletc. You have a government security clearance and can apply for other positions only open to status candidates.

The DEO position doesn't even pay better than being a BOP CO. So my suggestion to you is apply with us. We have several facilities in your state.

MCC Chicago
              USP Marion
              FCI Pekin
              FCI Greenville
              coming soon FCC Thomson
              Many marshal's come from the BOP, DEO's and Deputy's. The DEO position is very competitive and jail experience is preferred, because there is no guarantee when you will go to FLETC 4 training, if you ever go, plus u CAN apply for a merit promotion to DUSM. But BOP CO, and DEO position are both similar jobs with very similar responsibilities, the main difference is where you ultimately want to end up. But whatever you decide, DON'T GIVE UP!

Comment

• Do Detention Enforcement Officers have to pass the same FIT test requirements as the Deputy Marshals?

Comment

• Originally posted by Broad St. Bully View Post
                  Many marshal's come from the BOP, DEO's and Deputy's. The DEO position is very competitive and jail experience is preferred, because there is no guarantee when you will go to FLETC 4 training, if you ever go, plus u CAN apply for a merit promotion to DUSM. But BOP CO, and DEO position are both similar jobs with very similar responsibilities, the main difference is where you ultimately want to end up. But whatever you decide, DON'T GIVE UP!
                  The DUSM's I have spoken with have said that there is no merit promotion to DUSM for DEOs. They said in the past there was, but not any more.
                  What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• Well I was told by our local DUSM that because they hire for DUSM rarely that when they need ones and twos they will pull from DEO....

Comment

Well I was told by our local DUSM that because they hire for DUSM rarely that when they need ones and twos they will pull from DEO....

Well I was told by a couple of DUSMs that DEOs were having to apply for DUSM positions through the FCIP program just like everyone else. They stated that in the past they were merit promotions, but that was changed. This was also from a DUSM. The next time I see one at work, I will ask them again to be sure though. When they need ones or twos, they can hire from the literally hundreds of candidates who have completed the DUSM hiring process and are awaiting class dates.

Even if it was a merit promotion, the job would have to be posted somewhere, and I have never seen a posting for merit promotion DUSM.

Originally posted by manstown View Post
                      Also, there is no more merit promotion from DEO to DUSM. DEO's have to apply just like anyone else for DUSM positions. at least that is what the DEO's here had to do.
                      ^^^manstown is a DUSM and a forum member, shoot him a pm on the issue.
                      Last edited by TheKansan; 06-07-2010, 11:02 AM.
                      What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• DEOs could apply via the FCIP. I have seen in the recent past where there were DUSM being filled and only current Federal employees could apply. So, it just depends on the situation.

I have been told that in some offices they really had to fight to get a DEO. In some cases, the DEOs were asked not to apply through the FCIP for DUSM as it may adversely affect the office's ability to keep the DEO position.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigsexy1925 View Post
                          Do Detention Enforcement Officers have to pass the same FIT test requirements as the Deputy Marshals?
                          yes, same exact fit requirements

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                            The DUSM's I have spoken with have said that there is no merit promotion to DUSM for DEOs. They said in the past there was, but not any more.
                            Not sure what they mean by that, but the last merit promotion for DUSM'S was in December 2009. And in reference to where the announcement is posted I would assume on USAJOBS, but I know for a fact it was posted internally.

Comment

• Originally posted by Broad St. Bully View Post
                              Not sure what they mean by that, but the last merit promotion for DUSM'S was in December 2009. And in reference to where the announcement is posted I would assume on USAJOBS, but I know for a fact it was posted internally.
                              So you are saying that DEOs were merit promoted to DUSM positions in Dec. 2009?
                              What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• I'm back! Like I ever went anywhere. I was curious did anyone else apply for that DEO Position in L.A.? I did; and I was reffered to the Agency on the Merit List, but I wasn't for the Open Compitive. How does that happen? I have some ideas about it, but I thought I would ask for some other opinions. I doubt if they call me for an interview, the story of my life.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11661 users online. 471 members and 11190 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X