Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOL, believe what you want to about East St. Louis. I will say things were starting to look better with the inception of operation wave with major violent crimes being targeted but the murders continue. The reason you don't hear about them in O'Fallon is because they are becomming common place and less than reportable news anymore. They are averaging right at a murder per month right now (the ones we know about) for a population less than 30,000 people. Multiples shootings and shots fired calls nightly. That's better than last year but as the weather gets better the body dumping will begin again just as it does every spring and summer, and bodies will be found in the alleys and dumpsters, just as they are every summer. Believe what you would like to but I can attest first hand as a former resident, task force member, and LEO the place is a warzone. If you go for one second thinking "it isn't that bad" you will be someones prey. I wish you guys the best but keep your head up and always be on point.

Comment

• Now it doesn't sound like Baltimore anymore. There's a murder a night, every other night. Give or take some bad weather days thrown in the mix it might slow it down a bit.

Comment

• Okay you win, It is hell on earth! It's funny you mention the weather, I was thinking to myself the other day; it's about to get warm and the murders are about to start. Again I wasn't suggesting that one should live down there!!!! Hell No. But another good point you make is the local news not really reporting anything. I watch news channel 5 before bed ( along with sportscenter ) and you really hear more about North STL then ESTL. I guess it's the time I roll through there too. When I roll out of bed (at a decent time ) I'll drive down park at the ESTL MetroLink and think nothing of it. Go to work come back, jump in the car head home really not even thinking about it being ESTL. I'm always aware cause anything can go down, and I'm always on my girl about not pay attention to her surroundings! She say's I'm crazy but I say, I'm going to be the guy that's going to make it out alive. But at any rate I agree with you; it isn't a place where I'll take my lab for a walk ( I mention that he's a lab because he'll lick the guy to death ) One more thing I've been around long enough to know that crime and violance can strike anywhere. Stay safe and good luck to all! Now watch it take a year for me to get my NOR's for this gig!!!

Comment

• Well the last time I applied for a DEO position I heard back in less than 2 months, let's hope this continues.

Comment

• I spoke with a Deputy Marshal the other morning and he said it was the first ESTL has hired for a DEO. I'm with you, I hope the process goes quickly.

Comment

• I found out about the DEO job and am very curious why now would they create this 1 slot makes me think they have there guy. I applied as well good luck to u guys. As far as East St Louis I lived in Southern Illinois my whole life and frequented St Louis quite often...yeah it can be bad in some parts but if your scared or trying to scare someone it's not gonna work here I hired into this line of work for that rush...so all i can say is bring east st louis i bite back...lol!
              Last edited by cpd437; 03-26-2010, 02:53 AM.

Comment

• Not trying to scare you just trying to give those from out of town a heads up on the area so they don't find themselves in the wrong area unprepared. I didn't apply for this position as I can't afford the pay cut but I will tell you guys the East St. Louis Marshals are a great group. Also, if your interested in getting your foot in the door with them in East St. Louis you might look at the marshals contracted court security officer program. I think it has changed recently but about 4 years ago I knew several guys I worked with that worked the gig part time and made around $25 an hour. At the time you had to be a certified police officer and it was a part time job that worked around your primary employment. You would act as a baliff, jailer,and even check on seized assets in the field with a regular Marshal. You received credentials from the Marshals service also. The bad part about this one position is you guys will be competing with several dozen BOP employees from the Greenville FCI. I was talking to a buddy that still works up there and he said this position is the talk of the camp. The BOP works closely with the Marshals on transports, JPATS transports, and so on. I'm not positive but I believe current federal employees are given preference.

Comment

• Dixon, I didn't take as a scare tactic and I'm sure cpd didn't either. I heard the other morning the state is cutting 419 ISP state troopers, I know ISP has a task force set up in ESTL and the talk is, some of troopers might be pulled off because of the cuts or the task force might be disbanded all together. I did some research, there were 30 homicides in 2008 and last year there were only 3. So proactive law enforcement is working. You also make another good point. When you apply for the big boys-USMS, USSS, DEA, FBI, BATFE, and ICE you're in for a long wait! So guys try and slide in and grab anything they can just to get on the "other side of the fence" but the problem with that is, 1 slot= 1,000 applicants! Then you add a poor economy, guys getting out of military, more and more the work force is becoming more educated ( by that I mean more guys are getting degrees or advanced degrees ) Local PD wants to make the jump, and people are willing to go anywhere in the country to get the fed gig. Point being-STIFF COMPETITION. Of course you guys know this all ready, so I'm just ranting! Good Luck!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by STL View Post
                    Dixon, I didn't take as a scare tactic and I'm sure cpd didn't either. I heard the other morning the state is cutting 419 ISP state troopers, I know ISP has a task force set up in ESTL and the talk is, some of troopers might be pulled off because of the cuts or the task force might be disbanded all together. I did some research, there were 30 homicides in 2008 and last year there were only 3. So proactive law enforcement is working. You also make another good point. When you apply for the big boys-USMS, USSS, DEA, FBI, BATFE, and ICE you're in for a long wait! So guys try and slide in and grab anything they can just to get on the "other side of the fence" but the problem with that is, 1 slot= 1,000 applicants! Then you add a poor economy, guys getting out of military, more and more the work force is becoming more educated ( by that I mean more guys are getting degrees or advanced degrees ) Local PD wants to make the jump, and people are willing to go anywhere in the country to get the fed gig. Point being-STIFF COMPETITION. Of course you guys know this all ready, so I'm just ranting! Good Luck!!!!
                    LOL, well your odds aren't bad if you apply at enough slots, eventually you will get something. You might just not like where you end up. Working as a CBPO in Brownsville, or an 0083 on some indian reservation in the middle of nowhere.
                    What is Perseverance?
                    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• That is true, I live in Carbondale now and would love to get that job, but you're right, why now? Another thing I'm curious about is how they do the FLETC for DEO's? I mean if they only hire one, what training does he go through?

Comment

• LOL, You're right! But that's the thing, I'm 34 and I'm not one of those guys "that will go anywhere"! That's a young man's game. Don't get me wrong I'm flexible and I understand that you have to be willing to move to get the gig, but there's only certain places I'm willing to go. Mainly somewhere warm ( no snow or ice ) .. You know I've looked at those BIA 1811 jobs and I'll think about it, then I'm like nah! But another thing about those gigs, don't you have to be of Native American descent to qualify But when it comes to those I'm just not feeling the locale!
                        Last edited by STL; 03-26-2010, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by STL View Post
                          LOL, You're right! But that's the thing, I'm 34 and I'm not one of those guys "that will go anywhere"! That's a young man's game. Don't get me wrong I'm flexible and I understand that you have to be willing to move to get the gig, but there's only certain places I'm willing to go. Mainly somewhere warm ( no snow or ice ) .. You know I've looked at those BIA 1811 jobs and I'll think about it, then I'm like nah! But another thing about those gigs, don't you have to be of Native American descent to qualify But when it comes to those I'm just not feeling the locale!
                          I'm 30 myself, and I was able to get a job that stops the clock for me with the BOP. I won't go just anywhere either for any job. If I get an 1811 gig, I may be more willing to throw that out the window, but for any positions, it just wouldn't be worth it for me.
                          What is Perseverance?
                          -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                          -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                          -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• It's funny I remember a few years ago looking into federal jobs with my buddies and we would always say "we'll go anywhere they'll send us". Oh have the times changed. I'm not sweating the 37 thing, if it's for me to have I'll get it, if not; I'll accept it and move on. I don't try and force anything anymore. I have some sticks in the fire I just hope one of these bad boys catch fire!!!!

Comment

• It just doesnt make sense. I talked to my buddy who's a usms deputy out of the southern region and he was shocked they are going to add a deo. That's why im a little puzzled as to think maybe someone knows someone. Well enough with the conspiracy theory. Why now are they going from deo to leo and from gl to gs?

Comment

• Dude I spoke with a Deputy Marshal the other morning, and he said this the first time ESTL hired for DEO. I can't see it "being someone knows someone" Here's the deal you still have to make the cert. list! It isn't as easy as it sounds. And I'm sure that everyone and their mom's is applying for this job! Dude I really wouldn't be surprised if this position didn't have at least 1,000 applicants. Don't think I'm crazy for throwing out that number either. What do you mean deo to leo and gl to gs???? I'm confused! What am I missing???

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10923 users online. 485 members and 10438 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X