300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detention Enforcement Officer (DEO), US Marshals

Can anyone give me information on the duties, rights, work and benefits of a Detention Enforcement Officer (DEO) with the US Marshals? I would like to learn more about this job classification. It sounds like a good stepping-stone into the Marshals. Thanks...
    Last edited by five04zog; 02-02-2006, 11:00 PM.
    In God we trust, everyone else we search!

Good Luck with the Marshals. They haven't hired in years. I was on active duty during the last hiring phase so according to them have first dibs to test whenever I want. I sent in the application to test 3 months ago and called twice. They said they aren't hiring. I told them about the special clause being active duty and they said yeah but we aren't looking right now for anyone. So I hope you find a way in, let me know if you do.
    Marine Infantry - Taking out the trash one country at a time.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are."

"Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

Comment

Since no Marshals have chimed in, I'll tell you what I know of the position. You will be working in a cell block type of environment, inside the Marshal's Office located in the Federal Courthouse. You book incoming prisoners (searches, prints, pictures, personal histories). You prepare prisoners to be removed by the Deputies for court. In some districts you may actually do prisoner transports, but that varies. This is a very basic job and although you are considered a "Special Deputy U.S. Marshal", you are confined to the cell block. Training is at FLETC in Georgia and is about 8 weeks regardless of prior experience or training. I know that the Marshal's Service will occasionally have an internal announcement for Deputies, but they are few and far between. It may not be the best route to a position. It is a covered 6c LE position and gives you status as a federal employee, which opens you up to more positions with other agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by MarineGrunt
        Good Luck with the Marshals. They haven't hired in years. I was on active duty during the last hiring phase so according to them have first dibs to test whenever I want. I sent in the application to test 3 months ago and called twice. They said they aren't hiring. I told them about the special clause being active duty and they said yeah but we aren't looking right now for anyone. So I hope you find a way in, let me know if you do.
        Did you meet their requirements of having a Bachelors Degree or Law Enforcement Experience and I am not talking Military Police, they are looking for Civilian LEO experience? They do hire, however they are only lookinf for a very select qualified Individuals.

As far as the DEO positions, agree with what FedIG stated.
        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

• battlewagon
          battlewagon commented
          Editing a comment
          Marshals do not have a degree requirement.
          EDIT: This is a 12 year old comment. Not sure who bumped this up. They do not have a requirement for a degree now at least.

The slot I applied for is in Las Vegas. I think it is for current or former federal employees only. I am currently a C/O with the Federal Bureau of Prisons at a FDC in Seattle.

Before the BOP, I was a County level Corrections Deputy for three year and state Level C/O (Oregon) for two years before that. I was also a Reserve Deputy Sheriff for two years but had to give it up. The BOP will not allow it. I was an SP in the Air Force but as you say, that only counts for veteran

Comment

Thanks for the info. and good luck with ICE. I'm hoping I have a shot as a DEO.

Comment

Anymore input on the US Marshals DEO's? Thanks everyone...

Comment

I used to be a C/O with the BOP in Fairton, NJ and Petersburg, VA. I know guys who transfered from the BZOp to the Marshals years back whe nthey had their big hiring (about 4 years back or so) and its very very hard to get in. Im not tryign to discourage you but its not easy. Their applicant pool is usually VERY high and the amt of people they need on is usually under 10...as in 1-3 vacancies.

But since you are in the BOP as I was, Let me say this.....many many prior C/O's in it went Air Marshall and if you dont know much about it...it is an ok job but i'd apply for it if I was you as well as the DEO job. You could probably stay west coast as well with it. Honestly, your in the Feds....if you got good rep's on your last few performance appraisals from your Lt's, then I'd say put in to multiple agencies. By the way, are you a 7 or an 8? Im sure your at least a 6 since you said you had prior corrections exp. If you get 1.5 years in...it looks good on your application when you wanna lateral or transfer.

I transfered to another agency so it works.

Comment

Semy,

I was at Fairton from 93-99. If you were also, PM me.

Comment

Well, i've put in approx. 4 DEO/AEO (US Marshals) apps. all over the US. I guess I just wait now. Any ideas how long? Am already Federal so i hope not as long as a non federal LEO.

Comment

whats next

I Just Passed The Iea Test, And Was Wondering Whats Next.
                    I Guess I Am Just Too Excited.
                    What Other Requirements Do They Have Before They Hire.
                    What Type Of Training We Get At Fletc.
                    what Work Do We Do.

Thanx People.

Comment

By the IEA test you must be talking about the ICE-IEA test. This is not the same job as a Detention Enforcement Officer (DEO), US Marshals. ICE changed their DEO's to IEA and this also changed many of their duties. You should start a IEA thread. I did talk to an IEA on the plane back from FLETC. He said they still do a lot of transports but are started to do a lot more stuff. It is going to be a great job if you get it. Good luck.

Comment

I was wondering if anyone has gone through the process for DEO? I've been unable to find any useful information on the process, in the threads posted here.

Comment

Over a 3 year old thread revival, holy crap!!!!!
                          Your Gauging Intelligence From An Ignorant Scale

Comment

Originally posted by Nacho1523 View Post
                            I was wondering if anyone has gone through the process for DEO? I've been unable to find any useful information on the process, in the threads posted here.
                            Yup! What u wanna no......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4174 users online. 177 members and 3997 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X