300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting into federal LE

Hey, I'm new here, and I know posts like this are common, but I just have a few questions, and am looking for advice. I'm 23, and looking to get into federal LE of some kind. I'm definitely very interested in becoming an air marshal, but I'm not completely set on it. I have a B.S. in business management, but not a ton of work experience. I've been thinking about applying to be a tsa screener lately, as it would atleast be some basic federal work experience, and maybe help me get noticed more for the FAMS position. I have already applied for the FAMS position, as well as the secret service uniformed division. I recieved the conditional offer in my email for the FAMS position, but past that got nothing else. I just contacted them the other day to find out the status, but no response yet. I just applied to the SS, but have not heard anything from them yet either. I know how long it takes for federal jobs, which is why I am thinking about the TSA job to make some money and get experience. Does anyone here have any other suggestions? Im not in bad shape, but definitely not where I would want to be for training, so I am just started to train now. Thanks for your help

Getting a foot in the door is really good. An 1811 position is the most sought after in the federal workforce, due to the higher pay than state or local agencies. TSA officer's have recently been named thus because it opens it to give them an 1802 job description, which opens up further avenues into law enforcement areas, such as the 1801, or the 1811. Any government service will require a background investigation, which usually means easier transition to other governemnt positions.

Comment

Oh, and for the FAMS, not too much running involved. A lot of firemarms training. For 1811 series, run your 1 and a half, sit ups, sprints, sit and reach, and....I forget. Different agencies wnat different things. Do a little research. Bottom line,...get in shape.

Comment

Originally posted by CrimInv1811
        Oh, and for the FAMS, not too much running involved. A lot of firemarms training. For 1811 series, run your 1 and a half, sit ups, sprints, sit and reach, and....I forget. Different agencies wnat different things. Do a little research. Bottom line,...get in shape.
        Yeah I'm already on my way. In the meantime I'm just trying to figure out what I should do. I could pursue local LE, which doesn't interest me nearly as much as the federal jobs, specifically being a fams. Not saying that being a screener is a huge interest to me either, but it might open some doors that being a local officer wouldn't. Sadly I don't really have any firearms experience, but I'm not sure if taking it up myself would give me bad habits or not. I know the training to be a fams is very good, so they would teach me correctly either way..

Comment

Originally posted by CrimInv1811
          There was a great pdf file for the FAMS PT, so I am trying to use that as a guide. The test involves running, situps, pushups, and pullups.

Comment

In my own opinion, take an officer job before taking a screener job. Much more oppurtunities; get some good work experience; make some federal connections and go get that masters degree while you are at it. 23 is very young for federal LE. Get some local LE under your belt with a masters degree and you start looking better on paper already. Just some advice if you are not hired.

K9

Comment

Norm!!!

The question is, what do you want to do??? Do you want to do investigative work? Sit on a plane and watch people? Uniformed work? Do you want to do 'real' police work, or more security oriented stuff?
              Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

Originally posted by Washingtonian
                The question is, what do you want to do??? Do you want to do investigative work? Sit on a plane and watch people? Uniformed work? Do you want to do 'real' police work, or more security oriented stuff?
                I'm attracted to the FAMS position partly because of the autonomy, and also because I have always had a thing for planes, and the airline industry in general. At the same time I think I would enjoy a more investigative type job like working with the fbi. I also think security oriented stuff would be of interest to me as well, but I think that I'm more interested in higher end type security like the SS.
                Overall, I'd like to serve my country in some way, fight against terrorism, and have a career that I would enjoy.

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                  Last edited by Nobody; 04-26-2006, 07:42 PM.

Comment

I thought most air marshals fly alone and only once and a while you go with another marshal?
                    You kind of made me think about the personality thing. I do work well with others, but have always been a bit more independent then most people. Maybe I'm not the kind of person cut out for investigations, Im not too sure. Either way, being an air marshal is atleast something I wouldn't mind doing for a while. I applied with the tsa to be a screener, not sure how long that process will take, but hopefully I could use it as a stepping stone.

Comment

Federal jobs, especially criminal investigator/special agent positions are EXTREMELY competitive. You should be prepared for a long application process - a year or more for agencies like the FBI, ATF, DEA, USSS (don't refer to them as "SS" as those Gestapo initials somewhat offensive to current and past USSS agents/officers), and the other major federal law enforcement agencies. You should also be prepared for some rejections letters, but don't let that get you down, I received several before I landed my federal job.

As to how many FAM's are on a flight, I think that's not information that I'll put out for public consumption.
                      They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                        Last edited by Nobody; 04-26-2006, 07:39 PM.

Comment

I've applied to be a fam, USSS sa and UD at this point, and haven't heard anything from any of them except for the conditional offer for the FAM position. At my age, 23, with my limited experience and just a B.S. degree, does anyone think I could avoid working for a local town PD and start at a federal agency? I was hoping I could start out somewhere such as the USSS UD, or border patrol, or even as a FAM and move on to SA position somewhere like the fbi, atf, usss, etc..
                          Not really sure what to do at this point, I'd like to hear from some people who are either in a similar position, or have been in a similar position around my age. I'm only 23 but I already feel old, but from what I have heard 23 is very young for LE, especially federal..

Comment

Try the Capitol Police. They are Federal and they are respected by many of the agencies because of their mission. I know because I work for them and I have been told that during my application process with a couple agencies. The agencies know that they aren't that high speed but that they get good training and they are a good agency.

Comment

Cool, I just checked out there website, I completely forgot to look into them.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12150 users online. 438 members and 11712 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X