300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any current or Former FBI Agents or been thru process

I am very interested in getting in the FBI. I have my degree, I am an officer and a pilot in the military. I'm also starting to work on my masters. Besides for the obvious replies of "depends on your personality" stuff like that, how would you say my qualifications and background stack up. I had an excellent GPA in college, no LE experience, and i'll have 7 years of military experience when I'm done. Excellent organizational, and time management skills. Comes with the nature of my current job, being a pilot and all. Be honest, I know it is competitive, but give me some ideas and such.

hey there,

I'm a military helo pilot as well. I'm interested in this thread also for after the military. theres also a good thread on www.airwarriors.com about working for the federal government (you can do a search under FBI) after a career in aviation with posts from guys with years of aviation experience. As for me it wouldnt kill me to not fly anymore after the military and get a small town local job. Good luck.

Comment

Military flying

I wouldn't be horribly upset if I don't get a flying position after the military either. I really enjoy flying, but it isn't something I have to do to be happy. I'm more interested in the law enforcement field. FBI is my primary focus other federal jobs would be behind that, maybe DEA, NCIS. If those didn't pan out I would try to go with a big PD. I'm not sure how my qualifications stack up, but I'm gonna give it a whirl. Keep in touch.

Comment

bump..i'm getting out of the military in a few months and would like to hear something from the federal side..anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by blakech47
          I am very interested in getting in the FBI. I have my degree, I am an officer and a pilot in the military. I'm also starting to work on my masters. Besides for the obvious replies of "depends on your personality" stuff like that, how would you say my qualifications and background stack up. I had an excellent GPA in college, no LE experience, and i'll have 7 years of military experience when I'm done. Excellent organizational, and time management skills. Comes with the nature of my current job, being a pilot and all. Be honest, I know it is competitive, but give me some ideas and such.
          What is it exactly that desires you to go FBI? I mean you are a pilot, so why not go for job in LE that relates to that? What do you want to get out of going into the FBI, do you want to be a Field Agent( Special Agent), what area peek your interest? Why not go for CIA, DEA, etc...those are my questions to you. Thats great that you have the background that you have, however, what do you want your career to be...?
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by blakech47
            To be honest, it's hard for me to tell if you are a competitive candidate. Your personality may get you through a panel interview, but you have to get to that stage first.

For the FBI, a degree is required and a good GPA is nice, but you also must have one of those "critical skills" to get in the door. I don't think the FBI is looking for pilots, but if you speak a foreign language they're looking for, that's what will really help you.

If being a local cop doesn't interest you, you may want to consider becoming a criminal investigator/special agent for another federal agency, build up some experience and then apply to the FBI. Several federal law enforcement agencies look to hire pilots (ICE, CBP, DEA, to name a couple) and that experience will go a long way in making you highly competitive.
            They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

Interest is in being an Agent

Originally posted by irishlad2nv
              What is it exactly that desires you to go FBI? I mean you are a pilot, so why not go for job in LE that relates to that? What do you want to get out of going into the FBI, do you want to be a Field Agent( Special Agent), what area peek your interest? Why not go for CIA, DEA, etc...those are my questions to you. Thats great that you have the background that you have, however, what do you want your career to be...?
              I don't want to be a pilot for a law enforcement organization neccessarily. I mean I came in to the military as a pilot, because it sounded better than walking everywhere. I am not going in to law enforcement to be a pilot for that organization. I want to be an agent and investigator. Those are my goals always have been. CIA, I'm married with a child on the way. Don't know if I want to live that kind of lifestyle. DEA, definitely would consider them, FBI just happens to be my first choice. I'm just looking for an open door in the FBI, I have some Spainish language background, but I'm thinking of taking some Arabic courses just to make my chances even better. It has been a goal of mine since I was a kid to get in to the FBI, I gave something a try after college that kind of set my career plans off track. I did some insurance sales for a while, that I thought would make me a lot of money. I didn't turn out that way. So I kind of got in to a bind for work, so I came in the Army after 9/11. Thought that it would be a good track to get me into Federal LE.

Comment

DON'T TURN your nose up at flying when it may be your best chance to get your foot in the door.
                I worked with two guys on my PD who were hired ONLY BECAUSE they were previous Vietnam helicopter pilots. Then both of them used the LE experience AND their flying to go Fed later on.
                That helo ticket cost a LOT of money and if you have many hours "yanking and banking" (I'm a fixed wing kinda guy myself although I have about 100 hours in the second seat on those glorified mixmasters) you will be a desirable product but if you tell them "I don't want to fly" you have just dropped yourself back into the pack. There are THOUSANDS of guys with degrees out there trying to get in. Not that many have your kind of ticket to come with them.

Just my thoughts on this based on LOTS of years working with a whole bunch of the people you are looking at.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7623 users online. 412 members and 7211 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X