300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlanta PD Pro's and Cons

Currenty working in Washington for the MPD. Just wondering about the ups and downs of ATL. Any info would be great.

I took the exam for this department, and talked to the recruiter. He told me its is crazy at night. None stop calls. Its good if you like the thrill but would seem to get old if you ask me. Pay was not that good either. Im sure there is more in the atlanta area besides them if you look.

Comment

Originally posted by shaund44
      I took the exam for this department, and talked to the recruiter. He told me its is crazy at night. None stop calls. Its good if you like the thrill but would seem to get old if you ask me. Pay was not that good either. Im sure there is more in the atlanta area besides them if you look.

Pay is actually good if you compare it to other cities and counties around Atlanta. They just got a 4% raise and another 4% is approved for later this year. So an officer starting out with a 4 year degree would make almost 42K. I dont know any other depts that pay more starting out.

I just got hired and I am very excited about it. My buddy works the morning watch(10:30-6:30am) and he loves it. A wide variety of calls and enough action to make the night fly by.

So I would say something like this-- My knowledge only based on what I have heard from friends on the force and what I have seen during my hiring process--

Pros---
      pay
      loads of extra jobs
      great experience
      excellent for a resume(If you plan to move on)
      room for advancement not available with smaller depts.
      variety of divisions not available with smaller depts

Cons--
      pay-lol
      not the best equiptment
      rougher neighborhoods
      no overtime pay
      huge dept, so your more a # rather than a face
      not the best managed

Again these things are based on what I have heard and some are from what I have seen...So take it for what its worth.

There are some Atlanta officers on here, they can probably help more.

Bottom line--I cant wait to start
      Last edited by FutureLE; 01-24-2006, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Ive got six years of law enforcement. Well I have thought about applying with Atl. Howeever, I have noticed that if you make a lateral transfer they require you to signa two year contract. So it would seem it becomes an issue of, yeah they will pay $42, 000, but if the job sucks, you're stuck.

Also can anyone tell me how the schedule works at APD. I was told you may get the same two days off for two years. Do they rotate?

Comment

Atlanta has a pretty decent department with a lot of potential. There are lots of opportunities within the department if you work hard and make a name for yourself. They are highly respected by the FEDs, and the extra jobs available can really help supplement your income. The cons are common among larger departments: pay-raises and steps have a habit of getting FROZEN. It is a large department-you are a number and it may be hard to make the right connections. And YES, when you are new your OFF DAYS may be tuesday and wednesday for a couple of years-based on seniority. Some people love their job and some people hate it. It is busy, there is lots to do, and you could get burned out depending on your personality. If anything, APD could be used as a great stepping stone if you find yourself unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by publicsafety
            s. And YES, when you are new your OFF DAYS may be tuesday and wednesday for a couple of years-based on seniority. .
            Actually this is not true. My buddy has been on about 12 months and he has saturday/sunday nights off. Not bad. It really just depends on many factors.

Comment

Mind sharing these factors? I have NEVER met someone with a year's experience who has weekends off unless they are in a specialized unit. What zone and watch is your "buddy" on?

Comment

Mind sharing these factors? I have NEVER met someone with a year's experience who has weekends off unless they are in a specialized unit. What zone and watch is your "buddy" on?
                I don't know about Atlanta but a buddy of mine works for the County Police department up here and his first watch was 3-11 with Friday/Saturday off. It is just happened that all the senior officers transfered from that location and shift. He lucked out at first. Now with three years on he has off Wednesday/Thursday. So you never know.

Comment

Why does it matter if you have NEVER met anyone with the schedule/experience? I have no reason to lie, which it seems like your implying.

Factors-
                  specific needs of the zone
                  personnel movement within the zone
                  preference of the officers
                  etc.

He works zone 3, morning watch since your so curious..
                  Last edited by FutureLE; 02-16-2006, 09:19 PM.

Comment

I wasn't implying that you were lying but it sounded too good to be true. Trust me, when you meet alot of people in the department you will realize that this surely is not the norm. Congrats to your buddy, he has got it made. Unfortunately, this is kind of a fluke and the zone is probably going through some "changes". As soon as some senior officers come over to the zone or current officers get off the sh*t list your buddy will probably go back to his rookie status. Anyways, I'm rooting for him, that is a NICE gig.
                    Last edited by publicsafety; 02-19-2006, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Hey FutureLE. I am wondering who your buddy is since I also work Zone 3 Morning Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by tdc708
                        Hey FutureLE. I am wondering who your buddy is since I also work Zone 3 Morning Watch.

This is your first post? Sorry but I dont think he wants me sharing his personal info on an open board.

Comment

hi there...what can u expect on the test given for applicants? written and physical test? and how long does it take to get started?

Comment

Originally posted by mksm2000
                            hi there...what can u expect on the test given for applicants? written and physical test? and how long does it take to get started?

Written test- very basic and easy IMO
                            Physical test- check the website atlantapd.org
                            Hiring Process= 6-8 months depending on certain factors

Comment

I work for atlanta and, have for 4 years. It is very true! Dude you have to get hired and finish the academy and probation before you can talk about how great the department is. The departments isnt' a bad one if you want to work hard lacking the required equipment. Since I've been on, it hasnt gotten any better. O yeah, we cant get are steps but, the Cheif can get a 40,000 pay raise. Come on and join up, it will be a lot of fun.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6225 users online. 234 members and 5991 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X