300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emt/leo

I am in college starting to look at different law enforcement departments to start applying with. I currently have my EMT-Basic and am thinking about getting my Paramedic. I was wondering how much, if any, would having my EMT-B or my EMT-P help on getting hired. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Originally posted by Banks13cu
    I am in college starting to look at different law enforcement departments to start applying with. I currently have my EMT-Basic and am thinking about getting my Paramedic. I was wondering how much, if any, would having my EMT-B or my EMT-P help on getting hired. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
    I have my EMT-B and going to school as well. I just been accepted to start the next academy with a sheriff's office. When I had the interview they liked that I had my EMT-B, so I think it helped me. PM me if you like.

Sean

Comment

I wouldn't say it would help you. However it a postion came down to the wire between you and another guy, and he/she did not have emt, etc. Well then in that situation it may help you.
      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I think it will help. Any type of public safety background and skills looks good on an application. However, doesn't the paramedic school take a long time and cost a lot of $$$$? You might want to consider the cost/benefit of putting yourself through a long and expensive course for something you don't want to do. Kind of like me, I went to law school for the FBI, then 9/11 hit and the FBI stopped hiring lawyers. Now I've wasted 3 years for an expensive, soon to be useless degree.

Comment

Medic school is about 3 semesters, cost of around $3000. I enjoy practicing as an EMT, but defently want to go into law enforcement. I was thinking that if I got my medic I would have more of a potential of getting on SWAT because I was a medic (SWATMEDIC). I was just wondering if that would help get on a dept in general because you have to do that before you become SWAT!

Comment

Medic school is about 3 semesters, cost of around $3000. I enjoy practicing as an EMT, but defently want to go into law enforcement. I was thinking that if I got my medic I would have more of a potential of getting on SWAT because I was a medic (SWATMEDIC). I was just wondering if that would help get on a dept in general because you have to do that before you become SWAT!
            It's going to be a long time, likely several years, before you're able to get on a SWAT type team, no matter where you'll go. Once you reach that point, it might help, but they're not going to hire you on as a SWAT medic, I can pretty much guarantee. I think medical training would be a plus to have, though.

There are a few 'Public Safety Departments' out there that have officers that do police, fire & medical. They're few and far between, but you may want to see if there are any in your area, it sounds like it would be perfect for you.
            Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

EMT is highly looked upon by public safety departments who's LEO's do both police and firefighting (such as mine). These depts are usually more common with Airports, but several cities also have PSO's (public safety officers).

My dept (if you look under Nashville Airport PD in jobs thread) requires the applicant to have either 60 hrs of college or an EMT license. You get paid extra to be an EMT too.

So it really depends on where you're looking to apply.
              I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Paramedic to LEO

Last edited by quinn; 12-05-2006, 04:43 AM.

Comment

I've been an EMT for 10 years and I would say that, though it wasn't the only reason I was hired, it certainly didn't hurt. I would agree that putting yourself through medic school is not worth the time or effort. The medic training isn't likely to get you a spot on SWAT any sooner and, if you do make SWAT and have your EMT certification, you might be able to get the department to pay for your medic school.

Interesting (to me, at least) side note. On the day of my swearing in I finished the oath and left with my FTO to shoot my qualification. On the way, we witnessed a T-bone collision. My FTO jumped out and started directing traffic and I began rendering aid using the jump kit I keep in my POV. Once we handed the scene over to the local cops and EMTs, my FTO said, "Obviously we hired the right guy."
                  Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11960 users online. 449 members and 11511 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X