300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• security or lp work?

Does holding a previos job in private security or loss prevention help you when trying out for a le position? I have heard private security is a joke and lp is somewhat admirable, if you guys have any knowledge in this area it would be greatly appreaciated, thanks.

How can security or loss prevention benefit.

Comment

I went from bartending to LP work now, and here are some benefits....its usually full time..lots of responsablitly, work on own and in teams, detain people, handle rough shoplifters, write good reports, testify in court, unhold the legal policies by the company you work for, for internal theft=investigate reports. there is lots of experience that come from LP work. it is better than putting on your resume..."uh..i served drinks, and made change...." i am in the process of the ICE special agent hiring now, so we will see how it goes and it does not work out, then there is lots of money in LP and other things as well..but it does help no matter what anyone else tells you.

Comment

working in LP or security probably looks a little better than bartending when applying to police dept, but the important thing a stable job history. In my opinion, working in lp helped me a lot in learning how to spot a bad guy. Learning how to read a persons body language is a useful skill in police work. Just be careful, I cant imagine trying to chase down some crackhead now with nothing but a pair of cuffs (no gun, vest or radio, and usually no backup) Had a lot of fun though.

Comment

Originally posted by dpwilliamson
          Does holding a previos job in private security or loss prevention help you when trying out for a le position? I have heard private security is a joke and lp is somewhat admirable, if you guys have any knowledge in this area it would be greatly appreaciated, thanks.

Sure those things will help along with stability in your employment history.
          Better to fight for something than live for nothing.

-Patton

Comment

yeah i do not even have cuffs....it sucks i just have my mouth and my hands...

Comment

I worked as an LP for a store in college and I think it helped but I also did an internship with with the agency I wanted to work for after and college and that really helped me get my foot in the door because most of the administration knew who I was. I wasn't just another applicant.

Comment

LP does start a good foundation since you make civilian custodial arrests, deal with prosecution of shoplifters and internal theft, and attend court on a somewhat regular basis (depending on how busy your store is).

You also get to know the local LE agencies that respond to hook up the suspect(s) you detain.
                I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

LP or Security can assit you some but can also bite you in your [email protected]@ if you are not careful. Some LP's I have dealt with think they have LE powerd when stopping a shoplifter and end up getting them self hurt or the suspect hurt, or an officer, etc. Now I did work LP while attending college, but the company I worked for had very intesive training, which included being certified to carry handcuffs and know when to use them, which you would fill out a report for.

The main thing Departments look at is stable work history. Honestly, they are not going to go into too much detail about whether you did this job or that job. During your background, they will find out what you did at your job and talk with your supervisors.

Best thing to do is if you have a good stable and well paying job now. Stay there and apply. Good luck in what you decide to do.
                  "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9157 users online. 416 members and 8741 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X