300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello..I am in a major bind.

Let me introduce myself. Im a 21 year old male living in south Florida. All my life i've wanted a career in law enforcement. I would love to be involved in investigations against criminals, and/or detective work.

However just recently I am discovering that to get into those fields, require 3-5 years experience as a police officer. Ordinarily that wouldnt be a problem..except that I have a medical condition(mitral valve prolaspe, and aortic regurgitation) which im pretty sure will automatically disqualify me, and my cardiologist has warned me to stay away from anything which involves me having to over exert myself. Such as tackling a "bad guy". So, becoming a police officer is out of the question.

Im in college still, and currently working on a Bachelors in Criminal Justice. However its not too late to change majors to something else(like Computer Science), but I just don't know what to do at this point. My health issues have obliterated my chances of becoming a police officer, and im unsure if I should stick with my degree in criminal justice or how much it will help me.

Why not go for a forensics job then.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

After 29 years in police work, I regret to tell you that when asked, I tell even healthy people to forgoe the criminal justice major - most major city police academies give college credit for going through the academy. In my case, I wasted two years getting an AA in CJ, and found myself ineligible for the college credit in the academy.

Now to your other issue. Forensic Sciences may be the way you contribute most to keeping society safe. Computer and the hard sciences (chem, physics) will be helping to solve crimes and identify and even predict crime patterns.

Best of luck in your endeavors.
      Last edited by Kieth M.; 01-07-2006, 05:47 PM. Reason: mispelling
      "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Yes, i've been looking into forensic science as well. But I have already read that it too requires experience as a police officer, and crime scene technicians also, and fingerprinting technicians. How exactly does one get their foot in the door of a career in those areas? Any books that I should look into getting? Thanks for the swift responses too.

Comment

ALL the CSI people in our city department are civilians. It used to be a sworn position but not any more. I've heard a lot of departments are going that way.

The Donut Shop : A Cop-Friendly Forum

(Please PM me for faster admittance.)

Comment

Yeah, i've narrowed it down to computer science or forensic science. Anyone with experience in the broward county area know where to obtain information on law enforcement careers in those fields?

Comment

If you can't find one there you might want to move to where the job is. How bad do you want it??
              "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by Halruaa
                Yeah, i've narrowed it down to computer science or forensic science. Anyone with experience in the broward county area know where to obtain information on law enforcement careers in those fields?
                Like many previous have said, the crime scene techs for my dept. are not sworn officers. Our dept. opperates our own mini lab which is run by the techs. They take over major crime scenes 24-7-365 within the city, however during office hours if they're not tied up they'll assist with a burg. scene. Additionally though, anything involving police work isnt like getting a job in real estate. If you screw up on the paper work, or blotch the scene it could literially mean life and death, conviction or no conviction. That said, don't expect to show up on day one with a B.S. degree in forensics and expect to be handed the keys to a major crime scene. Expect to possibly work as an evidence tech processing property that has already been collected, or working in a lab. If you really wanna make a career out of this, the agency to be with is FDLE. FDLE handles everything that the local boys can't figure out, alot with some mandatory responses.
                Facts are meaningless, they can be used to prove anything.

Stay Safe

Comment

You may also want to consider accounting, for at least a minor. It'll open doors for you as far as going after white collar crime, or trying to get a federal job. It'll also give you more options for jobs to hold you over while you're in process for something in law enforcement or just waiting to hear something.
                  Just something I thought you might consider coming from a recent college grad with a liberal arts degree...

Comment

This post has been removed.
                    Last edited by Centraldep15; 07-17-2010, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Ordinarily that wouldnt be a problem..except that I have a medical condition(mitral valve prolaspe, and aortic regurgitation)

I have MVP aswell. My Cardiologist said this would not affect me what so ever. Ive played sports all my life and had no problems. Now, as for Aortic Re. I have no idea about. You could always ask you Doc for a stress test. Nevertheless, good luck and I hope you find a good fit!

Comment

There also are positions in the federal government called "investigative assisstants" which would enable you to do research to help field agents do their job....

Comment

Some options for you

Try some of these sites for more information, its NEVER too late to switch your major and change your focus. Good luck.

http://www.slu.edu/organizations/abmdi/

http://www.crime-scene-investigator....-training.html

http://www.policeemployment.com/forensic/

http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/index.html
                          Some days you are the dog, some days you are the hydrant

"A liberal is someone who, when being mugged, tries to see things from the mugger's point of view. "

-Unknown

Comment

(Not US leo so just blabbering) why not go go for the justice system? Attorney

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9857 users online. 478 members and 9379 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X