Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need to put myself through an academy?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to put myself through an academy?

I hope to follow my life-long dream and enter law enforcement next summer when the wife graduates and is able to financially support me for a change. I have an MBA and lots of work experience, so I do not think that testing will be a problem. I really like to help people and I enjoy not sitting behind a desk. I am working out like crazy to get in shape. We will be moving where my wife gets a job, so I do not have the advantage of being entirely flexible with location.

The problem is that I noticed that many help wanted ads require graduation from an academy. I was always under the mistaken impression that once you are hired, the agency you work for puts you through training. Am I best off putting myself through an academy, then looking for a job? It seems a good way to make yourself a better candidate, but costs a bunch especially since there is no guaranteed job at the end. Thanks for the help.

Hey there, well the decision to place yourself in the academy is a good one, In 2003 i put myself through the academy and i feel it was the best thing i could have done. My thought process was, if i put myself through, the agency will be saving money if they hire me and there going to see that i paid for the training which shows an extreme dedication to the field. about 5 weeks into the academy, i actually starting putting out applications and a letter explaining that i was paying for the academy and currently attending. At my academy, we even had outside agencies showing up to recruit the self sponorsed recruits, once again they see it as free training. Before i went in, i actually was able to secure financial aid for my bills and the school, so i didnt have to worry much about the bill and living status. Its a good decision to make and it will make you more marketable.

Comment

You might as well try applying to the city where you'll be living in now to see if they will put you through. With an MBA and a clean record you have a great shot.
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

I am not sure what state I will ultimately end up in. I know that each state has different rules, however would graduating from a Pennsylvania academy count in other states, or should I wait until I move and think about attending an academy then. Thanks for the helpful replies.

Comment

Figure out where you want to live before putting yourself through. If your thinking about Cali then check my academy notes out. The link is in my sig line.
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

In NC, it is better to put yourself thru. The academy is shorter and you can go where you want after you graduate. It is called BLET Basic Law Enforcement Training, 16 weeks. It costs around 700 to 800 dollars, BUT you can get a sponsoring agency and the fee is waived and you can attend for free. It is not hard to get a sponsor at all.

2 Types of Sponsorships:

1. Paid Sponsor - You are hired by an agency before you enter the academy, and are paid a salary as well, all equipment is provided by that agency.

2. Unpaid Sponsor - You have an agency sign a sheet of paper to sponsor you but that is all it is. You are not hired but the agency feels you would make a good officer. You are not paid by any agency but the attendance fee is waived, which is the way I went.

You can also apply to agencies while in the academy so you can have a job when you get out.
            John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Marine
              It costs around 700 to 800 dollars, BUT you can get a sponsoring agency and the fee is waived and you can attend for free
              Wow! That is cheap! And here I am paying $2700 per semester to get a degree in Minnesota...

Comment

Here in Santa Barbara we have a position called "Deputy Trainee" which is a lower payscale than a normal deputy, but we hire you and then pay you while we send you through the P.O.S.T academy. When/if you make it through the academy you bump up to the normal deputy pay rate. www.sbsheriff.org

Comment

Anyone else out there have any experiences with this that they can share? Do most people get hired first then attend an academy?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeDaddy
                    Anyone else out there have any experiences with this that they can share? Do most people get hired first then attend an academy?
                    it really depends on where you live...down here in florida i'd say about 60%, if not more, put themselves thru the academy..

the way its looking right now, i'm probably going to have to put myself thru the academy because the waiting for a department to hire me and pay is getting a little ridiculous (been over a year now)...

I should hear word from the academy this week sometime as to when I start and what not...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8787 users online. 263 members and 8524 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X