300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something I see on every exam!

Last edited by toolegit2quit; 05-09-2007, 05:12 PM. Reason: making my question more clear

Originally posted by toolegit2quit
    Ok, i've taken three police exams now and have seen this type of problem pop up in each and every one of them.

Q:
    1728 female students attend a university. Of those students, 9% were victims of rape. How many students were raped?

a. 157
    b. 156
    c. 155
    d. 154
    e. 153

If you do the math .09x1728 = 155.52

Does this mean that you round "up" to 156 due to the math rounding rules?
    Or do you round "down" to 155 because you never are supposed to round up when it comes to people?

I want to get a lot of opinions here about what is right? I consistently score around a 90% on this exam and wonder if this is a problem that is keeping me from scoring higher.
    In math I would round up to 156.. because its 155.52 So at the .5 you round up..

That being said, I would ask the test giver to be sure.

Comment

I wouldn't expect the answers to be that close together. I think they are seeing if you can do an approximation quickly.

For example, it should be easy to figure out 10% of the total. Then look for an answer a little less than that. Or better still, take 10% of your answer (which will be one percent of the total), and subtract it from your answer.

The key here is to do it quickly, so that you have more time to spend on difficult questions. They actually teach approximation is grade school math these days.
      You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Last edited by toolegit2quit; 05-09-2007, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowDownThere
          I wouldn't expect the answers to be that close together. I think they are seeing if you can do an approximation quickly.

For example, it should be easy to figure out 10% of the total. Then look for an answer a little less than that. Or better still, take 10% of your answer (which will be one percent of the total), and subtract it from your answer.

The key here is to do it quickly, so that you have more time to spend on difficult questions. They actually teach approximation is grade school math these days.

I agree with this. I believe this is an approximation question. Unless there is a calculator or scratch paper provided, then approximate. Dont worry too much about it either. Rule of thumb, first answer in your mind is usually the right one.
          Better to fight for something than live for nothing.

-Patton

Comment

Originally posted by toolegit2quit
            Ok, i've taken three police exams now and have seen this type of problem pop up in each and every one of them.

Q:
            1728 female students attend a university. Of those students, 9% were victims of rape. How many students were raped?

a. 157
            b. 156
            c. 155
            d. 154
            e. 153

If you do the math .09x1728 = 155.52

Does this mean that you round "up" to 156 due to the math rounding rules?
            Or do you round "down" to 155 because you never are supposed to round up when it comes to people?

I want to get a lot of opinions here about what is right? I consistently score around a 90% on this exam and wonder if this is a problem that is keeping me from scoring higher.
            I had this EXACT question on a test I just took and I was wondering the same thing. It's driving me crazy. I rounded down since I figured that you can't have a fraction of a person. For those saying that you're just supposed to make an approximation, I disagree. The math questions asked were fairly detailed and required you to work out a lot of division and multiplication on paper. Anyways, I just hope I got it right.
            "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by 99TAC
              I had this EXACT question on a test I just took and I was wondering the same thing. It's driving me crazy. I rounded down since I figured that you can't have a fraction of a person. For those saying that you're just supposed to make an approximation, I disagree. The math questions asked were fairly detailed and required you to work out a lot of division and multiplication on paper. Anyways, I just hope I got it right.

I feel that if you were given scratch paper or a calculator for the test that had this question, then obviously the answer would be exact. If you do your math correctly and that answer is not in the choices then they want the approximate or there is a flaw and should be brought to the attention of the administrator. If I had to choose, I would follow the rules of math and round up when you get an answer that ends in .5 or higher. Either way, it is not something anyone should lose sleep over.
              Better to fight for something than live for nothing.

-Patton

Comment

I think that you should never round up when it comes to people.... I had some questions along those lines in the tests I've taken. I rounded down, even though that goes against the grain of all math teachings.... I do remember from grade school, once we debated the same issue. That is when I was taught to round down regarding people.... Think about it...if 155.52 is the actual calculation--you can't call it 156 (in this case) because you would not have 156 rape reports on record...If someone would actually search for 156 police reports on rapes at that university....they'd be short 1, correct? I can't see the police department filing 0.52 (or 52%) of a report...
                But, 90% is a great score, though, so you don't have much to worry about. If you see it again, I'd recommend to round down.

Comment

The study guide that I used said

to always round down on mathematical problems concerning people.

55 1/2 people = 55 people.

Hope this helps,

TRPR2B
                  Be a leader, not a follower

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12189 users online. 416 members and 11773 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X