300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Highway or NCSHP

I am currently in the Process for Both Florida and North Carolina highway. Basically i have the requirements for both,if you had to pick one to work for other than money which one would be more intising. Vehicles, equipment, schedule, moral. Any info would be great.

Good luck on either. I hear nothing but good things with both agencies. Working the highway is a great thing.

Comment

I am a patrol deputy in a large county in NC. NCSHP are highly respected agency. They are highly trained, they mean business, and are well taken care of with $$$$, vehicles and toys. Great place to work....if you just wanna do traffic

Can't speak for Florida. Decide which state you want to live in. Do you ever want to see snow?
      -do your job, do it right, win the fight, go home!

Comment

I thought they got snow in NC? I don

Comment

Originally posted by klarkkent44
          I am a patrol deputy in a large county in NC. NCSHP are highly respected agency. They are highly trained, they mean business, and are well taken care of with $$$$, vehicles and toys. Great place to work....if you just wanna do traffic

Can't speak for Florida. Decide which state you want to live in. Do you ever want to see snow?
          I'd say that if you base your decision on climate then Florida would be good.

If you base it on professional, espirit d' corps, etc. Then NCSHP all the way.

North Carolina is consistently ranked as one of the top 3 state agencies in the country along with Texas and CHP. If you're are looking for the best training and becoming a part of an elite organization then NC would be the way to go. They are currently taking apps for the 118th basic school that starts in Dec' 06.

Oh and their cars look about 100 times better than Florida's.

Can you tell I'm partial.
          Be a leader, not a follower

Comment

[QUOTE=Lambor66]I thought they got snow in NC? I don
            John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

I looked into the FHP a few years back and while it doesn't seem like a bad job the thing that caught me is that there are no raises. The only raises come when the state legislature gives them to you. So if you are hired in at 33k you will stay there until the legislature decides its time for you to get a raise. No step plan at all. Just something to think about.

http://www.trooperpay.net/florida/wage.htm

Comment

meeting the minimum requirements isnt the only step... in fact both of those agencies are sought after agencies... with an applicant pool of well over a 1,000-3,000 or more applicants, its a tough process just to make to the final phase...
                if being a trooper is what you want to do, take which ever agency accepts you...
                good luck because its going to be a long tough road (the process).

Comment

We had 3

Comment

Well, if you get on with the North Carolina Highway Patrol, get ready to wear the long sleeve shirt AND TIE 365 days a year. During my initial interview, the female recruiter I spoke to told me that long sleeves were a tradition with them and it was never going to leave. I love NC, considering I lived there as a Marine. However, after some consideration, I went against my decision. No particular reason, besides, I'm so damn hot natured, I'd melt into a big puddle of water in that uniform LOL. But man, they sure are squared away.
                    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

[QUOTE=Lambor66]We had 3

Comment

Originally posted by NC Marine
                        NC has an odd climate. About 2 weeks ago high temps were in the 40s, and now for the past week temps have been in the 60s. The western part of the state sees most of the snow, while the eastern parts see very little, especially closer to the coast. Every few years there will be a snow storm that drops close to a foot but generally most areas outside of the mountains see a few inches of snow a year. Compared to New Hampshire, NC will probably seem a world of a difference in the winter.
                        Anything above 3000ft sees the snow.

Here in podunk central (Old Fort)... We have seen ZERO inches.
                        RIP Officer Josh Williams
                        Old Fort, NC PD # 919... 10-42... 02/01/2007

Our loss is heaven's gain

Comment

Hey yeah my dad lives in Henderson county, in Arden. I always stop at that Mcdonalds off the interstate. It is the last stop before you go up that mountain.

Story:
                          I was riding with my sister to see my dad last month and her car broke down at the top of mountain, we put it in neutral and coasted down the mountain on the shoulder to the next exit. Kind of dangerous, but I would hated to walk all th way down that mountain.
                          John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

Both agencies are similar in duties...primarily traffic. Both are well-respected agencies and have similar training. It all depends on where you want to work. I have lived in both states and if you like living in hot to cool conditions, Fla. is the place for you. NW Fla. can be chilly in the winters and you can see signs of seasons changing. The rest of Fla. is typically warm, year round. In NC, it gets cold pretty much everywhere in the winter time and you have hot summers. You are only by the beach if you leave on the coast.

Of course I am going to be partial bc I live and work in NC. I think we have the better looking uniforms and cars and we get paid better. We also have a very very good retirement, if that is something you are looking at. Our basic school is 30 weeks of pure hell and you could possibly be sent away from your home once you graduate. It is very competitive and the app. process is long and sometimes tiresome.

I am sure some of the Fla. guys can tell you more about their school, pay schedule, and the like. Both are good agencies though, so if you get picked up by either one you will get great training. If your idea of fun is writing tickets, doing wrecks, and getting drunks, you will like the job whether it is in Fla. or NC.
                            "...I'd never let you down, even if I could. I'd give up everything if only for your good..." 3 Doors Down

"Strength is when your body gives out and your heart and your mind take over"

Comment

Originally posted by normy0
                              there are no raises. The only raises come when the state legislature gives them to you. So if you are hired in at 33k you will stay there until the legislature decides its time for you to get a raise. No step plan at all.

http://www.trooperpay.net/florida/wage.htm

Our Colonel is working VERY VERY hard to implement a good step pay plan. Last year he got us a small one ($600-$1200 depending on years of service). There is a myth that we never get raises. It's not true. We get a raise every year, sometimes twice a year. My wife is a Deputy Sheriff in a department that gives step raises. The steps are only % 2.5. My department usually gets at least % 2.5, sometimes as much as % 8. My wife will never catch up to an FHP Trooper at that rate. When the State increases our pay, it is across the board. That's why it looks like we don't get raises.
                              Also, FHP is one of the few agencies in Florida that make detective/investigator a promotion (with a % 10 raise). Most agencies make it a lateral transfer without a salary increase.
                              Granted, in larger metropolitan areas, the county and city departments make quite a bit more than FHP, but alot of Florida is still rural, and we make more than the counties and citys. A Deputy in my county makes $28,000. That's $7000 less than FHP.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8564 users online. 431 members and 8133 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X