300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Veterans Affairs Police

I am currently a NYS Peace Officer with the Office Of Mental Health and I have an interview scheduled with the VA Police in Manhattan. Can any VA
    Police out there give me an honest overview of the job. I am actually quite happy where I am, but it never hurts to consider other options. Some specific
    questions are: Is it a union position,are there salary "steps" where the pay goes up every year and just any general input on the job.
    Thanks.

PHP Code:
    Question about Veterans Affairs Police 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am currently a NYS Peace Officer with the Office Of Mental Health and I have an interview scheduled with the VA Police in ManhattanCan any VA 
    Police out there give me an honest overview of the job
    I am actually quite happy where I ambut it never hurts to consider other optionsSome specific
    questions are
    Is it a union position,are there salary "steps" where the pay goes up every year and just any general input on the job.
    Thanks
    Can't much say about the Manhattan Va but in upstate, we are a single building with only arrest and LEO powers on property. Me personally the training that they give is great and constant so you never get rusty. As far union yes, but most Federal Jobs a prob. career conditional and career. Yes there are steps, can't say what GS paygrade you will start at, but I started at a GS-06 step 1 and now am a 2. My partner started as a GS 4 1 and is now a 5-04 and next year will be a higher pay and higher step then me. And we started at the same time. Go fiqure. As far as LEO work goes I would rather be on the streets as a municipal cop. Other like like it hear. you may or may not depending on what you want to do as far as LEO work goes.
    IGNORE LIST - Banastretarlton AKA "banana boy"

"In the fields of observation chance favors only prepared mind"
    -----Louis Pasteur

"Sweat in training saves blood on the battlefield."

-------Col. David "Hack" Hackworth

On my 7 year old 2nd Grade Class wall

------------YOU are RESPONSIBLE for YOUR OWN ACTIONS

Comment

VACOP,

I am in just about the same situation. I am happy as a University Police Officer working for the state, but the pay is low (though benefits are good). I am retired from a City PD, so with my pension I make OK. An opening has come up at the local VA Hospital (Overton-Brooks in La.) and the pay is substantially more per year.

Could you please answer the following questions:

1. How tough is the VA Academy. I am 46 yoa and don't really feel like busting my *** physically in another police academy. I dont mind doing what I need to, but dont feel like running miles and miles behind 24 year olds.

2. Since I have never worked for the Feds, are they really anal retentive to work for? Where I work at now is real layed back, with a good Chief.

3. Is it possible to transfer to another VA if I want to move to another part of the country?

4. Do they try and keep good equipment and vehicles. I know this may vary from facility to facility. Where I am at now good equipment and vehicles is a priority (when state funds allow).

5. Room for advancement in the VA system.

Thanks for any input.

DeltaCop
      "For those who fight for it, Life has a meaning that the sheltered will never know"

Unknown Marine
      Khe Sanh

Comment

Delta...Its been awhile since Ive been a VA cop but I'll try and answer some of your questions but hopefully VACOP can go into better detail.

"How tough is the VA Academy. "

When I went through, it was 4 weeks and pretty easy. Now its 5 weeks and from what Ive heard they have toughened up the pt portion.

"Since I have never worked for the Feds, are they really anal retentive to work for? Where I work at now is real layed back, with a good Chief."

Most are laid back. Where I was at we were laid back however it depends upon the facility.

"Is it possible to transfer to another VA if I want to move to another part of the country?"

Yes. Just make sure you are a career or career conditional employee and not temporary.

"Do they try and keep good equipment and vehicles."

Each facility is different. Some have great equipment and vehicles. Some still have chevy lumina cop cars.

"Room for advancement in the VA system."

Depends upon the facility. You may have to move for a supervisory or promotional slot.
        I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Hi,
          I am currently a Federal employee (BOP Officer) and am looking at the VA Police for employment. Can any of you tell me about the VA Police? I applied for a position at the Seattle, WA location. Any/all VA info. would be great. Thanks
          In God we trust, everyone else we search!

Comment

I work at the Detroit VA and even though we have our internal differences, I look forward to coming to work every day. Is the pay the best? no but the bills get paid and I wont get laid off. Promotions? few and far between. Real Cop work? mostly cstomer service with a little cop stuff thrown in, but I like it.
            That said I might move on to another agency, but I dont have any prospects yet and the VA treats me good. I think I saw a listing on USAJOBS for cops at the Seattle VA....Good Luck.
            After the pin is pulled, Mr. Hand Grenade is no longer your friend.

"Shut the door I'm tryin to poop!" - Larry the Cable Guy

(\__/)
            (O.o )
            (> < )

Comment

Hi,
              Thank you for the information. I am also applying for the Portland, Oregon VA Police. I would go to who ever offered me a job first. Seattle has you sign a two-year contract for a 20% pay bonus. Since Seattle is as good to me as Portland, I hope Seattle comes through. The funny thing is, I was trying to get a job with the VA when I took the BOP job. I just took the BOP job to get my foot in with the FEDS. I was a Corrections Deputy & Reserve Deputy Sheriff in a small/rural county before moving to the BOP.

five04zog
              In God we trust, everyone else we search!

Comment

am in just about the same situation. I am happy as a University Police Officer working for the state, but the pay is low (though benefits are good). I am retired from a City PD, so with my pension I make OK. An opening has come up at the local VA Hospital (Overton-Brooks in La.) and the pay is substantially more per year.

Could you please answer the following questions:

1. How tough is the VA Academy. I am 46 yoa and don't really feel like busting my *** physically in another police academy. I dont mind doing what I need to, but dont feel like running miles and miles behind 24 year olds.

2. Since I have never worked for the Feds, are they really anal retentive to work for? Where I work at now is real layed back, with a good Chief.

3. Is it possible to transfer to another VA if I want to move to another part of the country?

4. Do they try and keep good equipment and vehicles. I know this may vary from facility to facility. Where I am at now good equipment and vehicles is a priority (when state funds allow).

5. Room for advancement in the VA system.

Thanks for any input.

DeltaCop
                1. Not very tough at all, for me at least. 1 mile run, pushups, situps. All different depending on age.
                2. No not the VA
                3. Transfer, I would say yes as long as that facility had an opening.
                4. My facility yes, I was issued all new equipment. We are trying to get a new car now. But I quess depends on the facility.
                5. At mine no. Depends on retention at the facility. But they do offer different courses. Armorer, firearms instructor, DT instructor.

-----Louis Pasteur

Comment

Another VAP here

Everything VACOP stated was dead on, to the best of my knowledge. At my station, we just had a new officer finish the academy a few weeks ago, and she mentioned that: 1)PT is more focused now and perhaps even a little more intense now than it has been in the past, 2)DT are becoming a big training focus, 3)PR-24 testing is now done in the first week there, and it caused 4-5 people in her class to be sent back to their stations for remedial training. As everyone has mentioned in various conversations on here, the VA Police are a very unique, specialized agency. I spent four years as a muni officer prior to coming here, so "excitment" was not a big factor for me. But we have folks who are looking for that, and unfortunately, this is not the place. As far as equipment and advancement are concerned where I'm at: 1)Equipment is so-so (patrol vehicles are pretty new models, just not the most desirable for this type of work (read: Ford Explorers)), 2)Advancement (to include pay) is top notch compared to where I came from, but promotions are few and far between, unless you are willing to move (which I know has been mentioned before). Take this for what it's worth, and I wish you all the best in your careers. Everyone have a safe and happy New Year!

Keep on rollin',
                  RKC

Comment

If I do decide to go VA, one of my big concerns is job stability. Since I work
                    for the state and am permanent, it's almost impossible to get fired and i'm
                    wondering if it's like that with fed. employment (after probation of course).
                    Also does military service apply time-wise to fed. employment (I have 8 yrs.
                    Army service).

Comment

Thanks, state and fed. must be very similar. We can buy back military time in the state too (I believe up to a max of 2 years). I appreciate all of the replies.

Comment

VA Police

I have been with the VA Police for a year. Its not that bad like some one else said more customer service. I have worked for other fed cop jobs and for me this is the best kept secret in DC, We have one post and at night we have no posts our only post is in the Atrium to check ID but that is really a joke because if a person has no ID we make them sign in, It makes the public feel good.

The VA Academy if you can call it that (More like a refreasher course) is not that hard pay attention and you will pass learn the PR24 prior to leaving your station and you shouldn't have any problems. the PT is not that hard i'm 41yrs old and I maxed the whole thing. I guess the VA Police is what you make of it my base is near $50,000 plus sunday and night diff (not to bad) I don't work to hard and I get paid pretty well for not doing a whole lot but keeping the peace.

Comment

Thanks, that was one of my concerns (the academy), I'm 40 years old. I'm in good shape (work out,do lots of martial arts), but it is a concern as to whether I'll be able to keep up or not. I'm already certified on the Asp, so I'm assuming the PR-24 won't be too much different.

Comment

Ya the PR24 is different you have to know like 30 different moves.

-----Louis Pasteur

Comment

Ya one don't show Kellogg you know martial arts, great guy but like nationally ranked. I have heard stories about him.

-----Louis Pasteur

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10893 users online. 482 members and 10411 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X