300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good departments for lateral?

I have been tossing around moving to a different department for a few years now. I have a good job now making about $44000 after five years (i have nine years total) with a max of about 60,000 in an area with a pretty low cost of living ratio. You can buy a decent house in this area for about 80,000-100,000. (not brand new of course) normal 3 bedroom 10 -20 years old. Problem is I guess that the job is in Illinois. I have lived here my whole life and I guess I just think about about going somewhere else. (preferably warm). Anyone know of any good departments that make it easy on laterals? Wouldn't wanna (or be able to) take a big pay cut. Just wonderin' what people have found.
    If life gives you lemons....Go find someone who life gave vodka. {Ron White}

Originally posted by vicmackey
    I have been tossing around moving to a different department for a few years now. I have a good job now making about $44000 after five years (i have nine years total) with a max of about 60,000 in an area with a pretty low cost of living ratio. You can buy a decent house in this area for about 80,000-100,000. (not brand new of course) normal 3 bedroom 10 -20 years old. Problem is I guess that the job is in Illinois. I have lived here my whole life and I guess I just think about about going somewhere else. (preferably warm). Anyone know of any good departments that make it easy on laterals? Wouldn't wanna (or be able to) take a big pay cut. Just wonderin' what people have found.
    Check out Metro Nashville PD. They are doing a lateral class. Lateral officers will start around $36k, but easliy reach into the $50s w/overtime. The cost of living is very comparable to their salary. Climate is definitely warmer. I was born and raised in Nashville. I don't work for Metro, but the Airport so I know many of them as we back each other up quite a bit. Great city in my opinion, but I'm from here, so I'm a little biased. Click on the link below (you need adobe acrobat to view):

ftp://ftp.nashville.gov/web/hr/jobs/..._1-lateral.pdf
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Many people are looking to relocate "out of state." I moved to North Carolina from California. I can tell you from experience that the grass is not always greener. I can understand about the cold, I have never lived in such a cold climate moving from sunny Southern California. I can not stand it. My point is really think about it hard. Aree you that unhappy in Illinois or is it more of a curiousity thing. If you move anywhere you may soon find out that you had it pretty good where you came from. You made better money, family was close by, you liked the way you did your policing and the laws were understandable and easy to inforce. Where I work now in NC I come accross MANY people who moved here from other states and a gross majority state they want to go back home and they live in many different places, NY,IL,Ca,OH, etc. Even most of the PD guys here have to have second jobs because the south, which includes TN, does not pay it's workers, including police, much money. I am going to go back to Ca. ASAP and get back to the policing I loved and the money I loved to make. Think hard and if you can stay in the city you think you want to move to for at least 2 weeks. Good luck!

Comment

Go to www.apbweb.com American police beat mag. Tons of lateral department ads, Phoenix, Mesa, Florida departments. Certified cops are in demand big time now. Kinda makes me start thinking too. I just left a city after 10 years for the suburban department, BUT its still in PA and PA sucks big time.
        remember though, The southwest is gonna run out of H2O in about 20 years...
        I got nothing for now

Comment

because the south, which includes TN, does not pay it's workers, including police, much money. I am going to go back to Ca. ASAP and get back to the policing I loved and the money I loved to make
          I don't totally agree with you on that one.

I make about the same as what a lateral MNPD officer would start with a bachelor's degree (in Nashville, TN). My wife and I (she makes around $31k/yr) live in a new 2100 sq foot home, 2 nice vehicles, and a fishing boat. Not rich & famous by any means, but definitely comfortable.

I know a guy that just got hired w/ATF. He started in the $60k's and was relocated to San Fran, CA. He can barely afford the rent (not a purchase), of a 30 yr old 2 bedroom home. I know CA depts pay more, but the cost of living anywhere on the west coast is ludicrous.

With all of the other things to pick up for overtime (Construction/Electric Co/TN Titans Games/Nashville Predators/Retail/Court), a Nashville officer can easily make in the $50k's and on up into the $60k's. This doesn't sound like a lot in CA, but you can buy a new home on that salary alone, not to include a spouse's income.

It's the teachers in TN that really get screwed. Their pay scale is ranked 48th out of 50 states in the US with regards to pay.
          I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

I am in the same boat. I am from the southeast and things here are in bad shape. It is very hot and humid here almost all year round. The pay is not very good. In fact the city gave us a raise and then raised our insurance premiums. Go figure. I am currently looking into Denver, CO area departments. I visited there and fell in love with it. The only plus to the southeast is lots of crime which equals experience.
            Better to fight for something than live for nothing.

-Patton

Comment

Originally posted by SOCALCOP
              Many people are looking to relocate "out of state." I moved to North Carolina from California. I can tell you from experience that the grass is not always greener. I can understand about the cold, I have never lived in such a cold climate moving from sunny Southern California. I can not stand it. My point is really think about it hard. Aree you that unhappy in Illinois or is it more of a curiousity thing. If you move anywhere you may soon find out that you had it pretty good where you came from. You made better money, family was close by, you liked the way you did your policing and the laws were understandable and easy to inforce. Where I work now in NC I come accross MANY people who moved here from other states and a gross majority state they want to go back home and they live in many different places, NY,IL,Ca,OH, etc. Even most of the PD guys here have to have second jobs because the south, which includes TN, does not pay it's workers, including police, much money. I am going to go back to Ca. ASAP and get back to the policing I loved and the money I loved to make. Think hard and if you can stay in the city you think you want to move to for at least 2 weeks. Good luck!
              I know the grass isn't always greener, that's probly one of the reasons I've yet to make a move. But I keep looking, maybe that's more fun than moving...I don't know. I feel like if the right opportunity presents itself I would probably go. But of course I would go to and thoroughly check it out before committing to anything. Thank you for all of the input everyone has given so far. Keepem' comin'. I'm kinda looking for the perfect opp. Like I said I have a decent job now, and it seems like most places don't really go out of there way to cater to lateral's. Esp. out of state ones. As much as everyone bitches about being short and wanting officers you'd think they'd either pay more, or make it an easy transition for a proven officer.

Comment

I know what you mean Vic. It is fun to always be on the lookout for that greener pasture. I was with a department for six years and then took my dream job with the state police. I was injured and had to leave during the academy. Now I'm with my third agency and have been here over a year. Overall a good department, but I think I'm wanting something bigger and much faster paced. I guess it's just being nervous about taking that first step.

I definately don't want to put a tag on my back as a department jumper. We have a female officer in our department, just passed her three year mark and she surprised the **** out of all of us when she came in last month and said she had been hired by a 250 man + department in southeast Florida. Good for her for having the marbles to take that first step! LOL Let me know if you find something you like and decide to jump on.
                Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

I'll let you know if I find anything good towncop. I probably would of up and moved already except that I have full custody of my grade school age daughter and I'm not sure I want to move her away from family. I have run across a few departments that are actually offering as much as a $5000 hiring bonus. I don't know much about the departments, mostly in Arizona, New Mexico, or Cali. I don't know if the $5000 would be worth the cost of living hit you would take in some of these places. But it's nice to see some departments going that route. Registered Nurses and such have been getting signing bonuses for years. I did see that Santa Rosa California was offering a $10,000 for dispatchers but not officers. I thought that was kinda odd.

Comment

Henderson,NV and North Las Vegas,NV area excepting laterals on a continious basis. Both agencies area stating you'll make well over 50+ just to start. I have a freind who has been on three years now and is pulling in over 72+ a year, and that only after three years. Cost of living is a bit high here, but i think you could manage with that pay.

Comment

Originally posted by pd821
                      Henderson,NV and North Las Vegas,NV area excepting laterals on a continious basis. Both agencies area stating you'll make well over 50+ just to start. I have a freind who has been on three years now and is pulling in over 72+ a year, and that only after three years. Cost of living is a bit high here, but i think you could manage with that pay.

Vegas would be nice, but the heat... Im down here in GA, and once I clear my 3 year mark, Im off to Denver, Co... grew up there, miss it more than anything. By far the best city; due to the climate, area, cost of living... Just wish there was more water for the summer time...

Still tossin up between Denver & Aurora PD
                      Irish Toasts
                      When we drink, we get drunk.
                      When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
                      When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
                      When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
                      So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10957 users online. 437 members and 10520 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X