300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret Service Hiring Process

I have a question concerning the process for hiring as a secret service agent. I have my Bachelor's in IT and my MBA. I'm not sure what the needs of the secret service are. I was called and I have my first interview scheduled for January. Does anyone know what will happen next if the interview goes well? I know at some point I will have to take the TEA exam, and polygraph. Also, does anyone have any info about the academy? Is there a PFT required before getting accepted with the secret service? Any help is well appreciated.
    Last edited by ledab74; 12-30-2005, 01:47 AM.

just out of curiosity...when did you apply and how long did it take for you to go for an interview? also, i thought you take the test before the interview, am i wrong about that too?

Comment

Originally posted by ledab74
      I have a question concerning the process for hiring as a secret service agent. I have my Bachelor's in IT and my MBA. I'm not sure what the needs of the secret service are. I was called and I have my first interview scheduled for January. Does anyone know what will happen next if the interview goes well? I know at some point I will have to take the TEA exam, and polygraph. Also, does anyone have any info about the academy? Is there a PFT required before getting accepted with the secret service? Any help is well appreciated.
      Your training will consist of 11 weeks at the FLETC in Glynco. GA, or in New Mexico. After you complete that training, you will go to more training, which last about 11 weeks in Laurel, Maryland.
      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

if you get far enough along in the hiring process...get familiar with one word: Paperwork. pounds and pounds of paperwork. I applied for a short term position with them and I can't remember how many documents I filled out.

It may be different now.

Comment

Secret Service Agent Process

ledab74,

It has been a few years since I had any experience with the hiring process, but here is the way it was then:

If you are basically qualified i.e. U.S. Citizen, no felonies and a college degree, you can submit a basic application that outlines your employment and education history. This will be followed by an interview with either a boss, or a senior agent. Based on the interview, and the quality of your application and background, that agent makes a recommendation to HQ that you continue in the process or not. Then your packet is submitted to DC, where the final determination is made.

If you continue in the process you will be scheduled to take the TEA exam. All you need to do is pass, the Service does not rank it applicants using the TEA like some other agencies. If you pass the TEA your are scheduled for a panel interview. If you fail the test by a couple points, the SAIC or RAIC can let you retake the test after 30 days. Otherwise, you must wait a year to retake the test.

The panel interview consists of three agents, one or two of which will probably be senior agents or bosses. Based on your appearance, demeanor and responses, you may be scheduled for the Physical exam or polygraph exam.

Lastly, you will have a background investigation, during which you will have a home interview with your background investigator, and a senior agent or boss. This interview is geared towards your spouse or significant other, advising them of the good and bad aspects of the job.

I hope this helps, best of luck,
          Last edited by Puffy6460; 01-03-2006, 08:15 AM.

Comment

this helped a lot...thanks

Comment

Hi national,
              I applied the 2nd week in November 2005 and was notified 3 weeks later of my first interview date. So the process has been very fast for me.

Comment

So is there not a Physical Fitness Test for the Secret Service? I know the FBI has one, but I haven't seen anything on the Secret Service & wasn't sure if I should start running to get into shape again.

Thanks!

Comment

The answer to your question is there is no Secret Service PT test for applicants. To be honest, no one is sure why. That being said, part of the initial interview is examining your appearance. If you are overweight, the odds of you continuing in the process begin to diminish immediately. You may even be asked about your exercise routines. If your answers don't match your physic, it may be a short applicant process for you as well.

All new trainees are expected to be in good shape upon your first day of training. If running and exercise are not a part of your daily routine, you will have problems in training, which could result in you being sent home and terminated.

My advice is to serious applicants is to invest in a gym membership, buy a pair of quality running shoes and push away from the table.

Best of luck,

Comment

Puffy,
                    Thanks for all of your info. I look forward to hopefully being part of the Secret Service. I am in pretty good shape, so hopefully things will go well in the academy. So do you know what the chances are of getting your duty location choices? Or is it like a military dream sheet where you can put down what you like, but they have already chosen where you will go. Also do you know how the pay works? i.e. what is your pay and/or pay grade in the academy and then when you graduate does it increase?

Thanks!

Comment

On the plus side, the Service tells you where you are going when they offer you the job. The bad side is there is no list of preferences, you are expected to take the job where it is offered. It could be your hometown, could be NYC or LA. It is my understanding that if you pass on where the job is offered, you pass on the job. During your process, someone may ask where you want to go, but ultimately it remains HQ's choice.

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                        Last edited by Nobody; 04-27-2006, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all of the info. I guess I'll see how things go here in a few weeks. If I make it through the process I guess I'll know then where I'll spend the next few years.

Thanks!

Comment

Training locations

Where is the initial training for the Secret Service located? I have seen two different areas for the first and second phase. The job description on USAjobs now says that it is "Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) in Artesia, New Mexico. (Rather than Glynco, Georgia?)

Upon successful completion of training at FLETC, they receive
                            approximately 11 weeks of specialized instruction at the James J. Rowley Training Center in Laurel, Maryland."

Just wondering if anyone knows.

Comment

Newly hired SA's first spend a week at the Secret Service Training Center (JJRTC) Beltsville, Maryland for new employee orientation, followed by the 10 week Basic Criminal Investigator Course (CITP) in Georgia. Afterwards, you are sent back to Beltsville for Special Agent Training, for the specialized training for 12 weeks.

I believe that UD Officers attend a Basic Police Course in which is offered at either Georgia or New Mexico followed by their specialized training at Beltsville.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7665 users online. 331 members and 7334 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X