300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Carolina Highway Partrol

Was wondering if anyone here had any comments or information about the NCHP. I just put an application in and am having a hard time finding info about the department. Or maybe there is a trooper on this site that would PM me. Just wanted to know how the moral, schedule, training, and little things that are not mentioned on the site.

Thanks
    Shaun

I am not a trooper but have been a police officer NC for a long time. Troopers in NC are a very proud organization. There training is very good and is more military than most, or at least it historically has been. There equipment is also very good. The only two down sides as far as I am concerned is that they are very much a Highway Patrol, so almost everything they do is traffic related in some way. That is not inherently bad, but just not my cup of tea. Secondly, their pay scale is quite good compared to most rural departments, but lags behind the best paid large city departments. The last I heard there are very limited opportunities to make OT because most, maybe all, OT is given back as comp time(this may have changed, so I would confirm this with a better source). If you are interested in being a highway patrolman/state trooper I think it is a very good choice.

Comment

Here is a link to what I got when I searched for NCHP-- Only took me 2 seconds..

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sea...earchid=205445

Comment

Hey, well I just got out of the NCSHP academy in October. I was a police officer but was accepted to the HP school in September and spent about a week there before I resigned. The application process can take a while. I applied in September 2004 and it took me a year to get hired. Be patient. It is an excellent department, the best in the state. The reasons I left was because I missed my old job and going through 29 weeks of boot camp just didnt sit too well anymore. Here are the steps to the process:

1. Attend an initial interview. A recruiter goes over the app. packet. Usually you are given 30 days to complete it.
        2. After you submit it, I waited a couple of months and got a letter to take the physical assesment and written exam. You are mailed your results.
        **All contact between you and the Patrol is by mail, and you must go to Raleigh for each applicant phase**
        3. Then if you score well, you are scheduled a polygraph.
        4. After a couple more months I was contacted my BI and he conducted a, well, BI on me.
        5. After you complete your BI, you receive a letter to attend the review board. By far the most stressful part of the process.
        6. If you pass your review board, you are given a condtioinal offer. You take you psychological in Greensboro and your physical at the training academy in Raleigh.
        7. Then you wait for a final offer to be mailed. You are given a date and place to report. Sign the offer and wait for the hardest weeks of your life!

Well I that was my experience. The school is hard. But from what Ive seen, as long as you dont quit on your own, you have a good chance of making it. What brings you to NC??
        John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

No real reason, just wanted to become a trooper. Here in mass the last time they gave the exam was in 2002 and am still waiting for the next one. A 91 will not make it to the academy so i started looking in other states that were hiring. I saw NC and Florida so i applied to both. NC looks a little tougher to get accepted but will try anyway. Thanks for the input

Comment

Originally posted by shaund44
            No real reason, just wanted to become a trooper. Here in mass the last time they gave the exam was in 2002 and am still waiting for the next one. A 91 will not make it to the academy so i started looking in other states that were hiring. I saw NC and Florida so i applied to both. NC looks a little tougher to get accepted but will try anyway. Thanks for the input

Georgia State Patrol is hiring and having trouble getting enough people.

Comment

Originally posted by shaund44

Last time they held any openings was 2002?? Id get out of there. I wonder sometimes why so many northerners have been coming South but from reading past posts I can see why. NO jobs!!
              John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

They are just getting into the 95% of the lists from then. Its very difficult. But they make very good money here 70,000 and up with overtime. Very sought after position with overtime here.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Marine
                  Last time they held any openings was 2002?? Id get out of there. I wonder sometimes why so many northerners have been coming South but from reading past posts I can see why. NO jobs!!
                  A lot of police departments up here only accept apps every 2-6 years. So a ton of people take it and then they spend the next 5 years waiting to be reached. It's a whole different world up here. There are some extremely highly paid large police departments that have NO problem getting people and keeping them. They can get away with this testing procedure because people are willing to wait for the job.

Comment

Shaund44-

I'm one of the Massachusetts Northeners who recently moved South for job opportunities. I took the Trooper exam in 2002 (along with about 500 others for about 90 seats) and got a score of 94, BUT, since there are not enough seats at the academy in New Braintree, others with military and LE backgrounds were selected. Before you commit yourself to the Highway Patrol, remember, Mass SP does highway patrol and statewide criminal investigations. NCSHP is mostly highway and traffic issues. So, you are certainly limited in exposure with the NCSHP. However, they are a busy and well-respected organization. If you are interested in criminal investigation, consider the NC State Bureau of Investigation. Difficult to get into and its like you go straight to detective without experiencing the rigors of patrol. And if your more into patrol, go with the NCSHP. Good luck!

Comment

We NEED troopers!! App. process is long and the Basic School is very difficult, but the job is great. We are always hiring, so when you apply you'll jump right into the process. If you like to write tickets, do accident investigations, and have a lot of freedom while you work, it is a great organization.
                      "...I'd never let you down, even if I could. I'd give up everything if only for your good..." 3 Doors Down

"Strength is when your body gives out and your heart and your mind take over"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8139 users online. 272 members and 7867 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X