Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a former Recruiter for the City PD I retired from, Tagman is right.

I was frustrated so many times having to overlook very qualified majority applicants to concentrate on way less qualified minority and female applicants. I feel you hire the best qualified applicants, PERIOD, regardless of whether majority, minority, or female. As long as the minimum qualifications are the same for everybody, let the best applicant win.

But oh no, we had to be politically correct to satisfy the politicians at the expense of the public. I also found that a lot of time the minority applicants that we bent over backwards to hire, sometimes even ignoring borderline test results, turn out to be **** Officers that should have never been hired. And it costs the Agency big bucks to pay for these Officers bad decisions. What bull****!

I remember having to pass over very well qualified majority SERVING police officers in order to hire a barely minimum qualified minority, and that guy later got charged with multiple rapes while on duty. I knew the guy was **** to begin with, but we played the game, and again the public payed the price! Not to mention the well qualified Officers who didnt get hired.

As you can guess I wasn't a Recruiter very long, and joyously went back to Patrol at my request. I sure kept an eye on the borderline guys I had hired, and made sure I knew who my backup was.

Oh and by the way a lot of the people who apply are not like the rest of us and driven by duty, all they care about is getting a job with insurance to cover their illigitimate kids.

Just had to rant, no resentments here!

DeltaCop
    Last edited by DeltaCop; 12-31-2005, 02:29 AM.
    "For those who fight for it, Life has a meaning that the sheltered will never know"

Unknown Marine
    Khe Sanh

Comment

I too see a problem here. I am from the southeast, Ga, to be specific. In my area we are so short it is ridiculous. I could work OT everyday if I wanted. We, who are in patrol, cant even move to detectives or other specialized units because we are so short on the streets. Problem is the city just does not want to pay us. So this creates an exodus of good officers to other departments. Next problem, I am trying to leave as well, I was looking into a lateral transfer to a department in CO. I figured the cost of traveling would be worth it. I went to the department and passed all the necessary testing. I was invited back for the final testing phases which was just the medical eval. The doctors gave me the all clear good to go. The department fingerprinted me, made me feel I would be given an offer, then BAM! They called me and said that I was " not accepted to the Academy ". What gives? Now, I have to recover from the traveling expenses and start all over. Frustrating, but I will try again. Point is this. There are a great deal of hoops to jump through for LE. Although it is necessary because not just anyone can carry the badge, there must be something departments can do to be more attractive. LE officers simply cannot afford to travel all over the country looking for better departments to work for. There are a great deal of good officers and good candidates out there. I guess some of them feel it is just not worth it.

Didn't mean to get on a soapbox.

Sorry.

By the way, looking to get out of the southeast, any suggestions, feel free to share them with me.
      Last edited by Savcop; 12-31-2005, 05:20 AM. Reason: Adding another thought
      Better to fight for something than live for nothing.

-Patton

Comment

Originally posted by normy0
        It is just as bad in PA. Just in my county we have 130 municipal police departments with most being relatively small in size (10-15 officers). In addition to the municipal police we have County Housing Authority Police, City Housing Authority Police, County Police, County Sheriff, Port Authority Police (Transit), State Police, and about 20 University Police Departments. Most want you to pay for your own police academy (about $5000) and usually only hire about one or two people at a time. They also utilize the rule of 3 and this just lends itself to hiring whoever they feel like. It is way too hard to get hired when 300 or 400 people apply for 1 job. That is why I started to look out of state.
        Normy, I agree with you there. I live in Pittsburgh too and there a ton of departments to choose from, but like you said, only a couple here and there get a job, and usually you have to know someone. And the City doesnt test often enough, usually every 3 years. (If it wasnt for pneumonia or whatever I had, I may have passed that 1.5 mile run and been in the academy for them now ) Thats why I looked out of state as well. Have you looked into the Northern VA, DC, MD area?

And Id love to be a New Jersey LE. Close to NYC and a lot of opportunities. But their residency requirement is jive. I withdrew from the NYC process after I found out that the payscale was dropped to the point where my next door neighbor would have been a bum under the bridge Id be sleeping under just to survive. Their payscale is a joke, I make more now selling audio and performance accessories. They're gonna be in trouble in a few years in my opinion.

All the areas in the Northern VA, DC, MD area are constantly hiring. Like everything else, the departments have their perks and "problems", but if you want a job that bad, you'll deal with it. Im up for the next academy with PG county in MD. Hopin things work out finally Cant wait

PittsburghKid
        Reputation is the cornerstone of power

Rest in Peace: Officer David "Hazel" Pugh; Neville Island Police Department; I'll miss you friend

PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY POLICE
        Written - Passed
        Physical test - Passed
        Background Investigation - Finished
        Oral Board - Passed
        Polygraph - Passed
        Chief's Decision - Pending
        Medical Exam - Pending Chief's Decision
        Psycological Exam - Pending Chief's Decision

Comment

Originally posted by PittsburghKid
          Normy, I agree with you there. I live in Pittsburgh too and there a ton of departments to choose from, but like you said, only a couple here and there get a job, and usually you have to know someone. And the City doesnt test often enough, usually every 3 years. (If it wasnt for pneumonia or whatever I had, I may have passed that 1.5 mile run and been in the academy for them now ) Thats why I looked out of state as well. Have you looked into the Northern VA, DC, MD area?

And Id love to be a New Jersey LE. Close to NYC and a lot of opportunities. But their residency requirement is jive. I withdrew from the NYC process after I found out that the payscale was dropped to the point where my next door neighbor would have been a bum under the bridge Id be sleeping under just to survive. Their payscale is a joke, I make more now selling audio and performance accessories. They're gonna be in trouble in a few years in my opinion.

All the areas in the Northern VA, DC, MD area are constantly hiring. Like everything else, the departments have their perks and "problems", but if you want a job that bad, you'll deal with it. Im up for the next academy with PG county in MD. Hopin things work out finally Cant wait

PittsburghKid
          Pittsburgh,

I was in the same situation with the city. I had passed the fitness test once but got hurt at where I work out now and when I had to retake the fitness test a second time I failed by a sit up and a half. Oh well everything happens for a reason right?

I have checked out Maryland, DC, and Virginia but decided if I move it will probably be to a warmer climate. The other thing I noticed down in those departments is that the money doesn't seem that good compared to the cost of living. I could be wrong though. Presently, I am in the process for a department down in Texas and may get hired for a Febuary academy if everything works out. The money is good down there and the price of housing is very low (lower then Pittsburgh).

Good luck with PG county and if it doesn't work out and you are looking to move south PM me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9544 users online. 307 members and 9237 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X