300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BI Home Visit

I was wondering: how common it is for your Background Investigator to visit your home? Do most depts have this practice? If they do, will the BI most likely call first? I am asking because my significant other is completely anti-police. He has already flipped out because he found out that the BI will be coming to our apartment in the first place.... Will my boyfriend's attitude be something that would cause me to be DQ'ed? (My decision to become a P.O. has caused a lot of problems in the relationship and I would prefer for him not to be around when the BI comes.....)

I can
    Last edited by RGratton; 12-18-2005, 05:05 PM.

Comment

When I was hired in SoCal they just showed up at the house, no warning other than my BI said that it might happen. How attatched are you to this SO who hates the police so much???
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Chicago P.D. is the only department that I know of in the area that does home visits. I'd suggest having your S.O. gone from your apartment when your BI comes. Futhermore, if your background investigator is aware of him and wants to speak with him his anti-police views might have negitive impact on you.

You should re-evaluate your relationship. Chances are your relationship won't last after you're on the job if he maintains his view points on LE.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Another question: Did the BI get in contact with you at some point before the visit to let you know that the investigation part of the hiring process had begun? Or was it just out of the blue, knock at the door "Hi here I am, let's see your place and life?"
          Frankly, I don't know what will happen if I get hired. We have been together for 4 and 1/2 years and things are complicated to say the least. All I know for sure is that I NEED to go forward with this. I have had several different jobs in the past and been moderately happy with them. But I just can't get it out of my head that the police department is where I belong. I HAVE to do this. He'll either be on board or not (in which case I'll move on.) If we split up, is it likely that the BI will still want to talk to him?

As per re-evaluating my relationship.....well it seems that I just can't stop doing that lately!!!

<sigh>

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone else who might have been in this situation....
          Thanks again for the replies.

Comment

as the boyfriend of Iwantitbad, her rant is totally 1sided.
            first, I don't want that 2am call that something bad has happend.
            sec,I don't want some lil lady comming to save my *** when I'm in need,never, ever in my life have I need a chick to save me.....as you can tell I believe women shouldnt be cops.

the amount of time she has spent on just trying to become "the law"
            and the lack of time we now spend is just a tast of want is to come.
            being a cop is a life style not a job.
            while having a few friends who are infacted cops!(am I really a cop hater?hmmm?)whos personal lifes have been turned into ****....and the number one answer giving was....becasue of the job.
            "yes eve, you might have to go ur own way."
            sorry you feel like that.

Comment

Not to start a flame war here, but most guys who feel that women shouldn't be police officers or in Law Enforcement for the reason that a 'woman shouldnt save me' are usually afraid of a woman handing their *** to them in a scuffle.

Just over-confident guys who were the bullies in high school.

Comment

Originally posted by WantItBad!
                Thanks for the replies. Another question: Did the BI get in contact with you at some point before the visit to let you know that the investigation part of the hiring process had begun? Or was it just out of the blue, knock at the door "Hi here I am, let's see your place and life?"
                They usually set up a time with you for your home visit. It can be months, days, weeks or hours in advance. It depends on your BI. If you live in the suburbs they usually have you meet them at CPD's headquarters.

It seems like you two have hit a crossroads of sorts. Both of you need to follow your heart. If Wantitsobad's heart is LE then you need to pursue that 100% without any hangups or headtrips from your S.O..

Good luck

Comment

sec,I don't want some lil lady comming to save my *** when I'm in need,never, ever in my life have I need a chick to save me.....as you can tell I believe women shouldnt be cops.

while having a few friends who are infacted cops!(am I really a cop hater?hmmm?)whos personal lifes have been turned into ****....and the number one answer giving was....becasue of the job.

UH-OH...someone forgot to log out
                  Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

If you're saying that you obviously haven't seen a 5'3" female cop put a 6'5" guy on his ***** and throw him in the back of a car. She doesn't want to be a stripper or sell drugs, she wants to be a cop. You can either be a man and suck it up and support her or you can move on to some woman you can control and who will stay home barefoot and pregnant. Nobody wants that call but you know what, she is willing to go for it and put her ***** on the line for the good people of Chicago. If your smart you'll support her and not let her go, ya got a good one there.

I don't want some lil lady comming to save my *** when I'm in need,never, ever in my life have I need a chick to save me.....as you can tell I believe women shouldnt be cops..
                    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Isn
                      Last edited by LawEnfWB; 12-19-2005, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Hi all! Thanks for the replies and the support!!! Good to know that not everyone thinks women can't be cops! Any encouragement is great! (Even if it is coming from people I've never met!)

I'll just have to play it by ear when the BI comes!! ....at least the apartment has been spotless lately!!

Merry Christmas All!!!

Comment

Eve (I take it that's your name), I work in the SW burbs of Chicago and never had a BI come to my house but they did go talk to everyone who lived around me as well as my references.

As far as your S/O goes...... we have a very small and attractive female officer on our department and she is the last person I would want to mess with. I think she could beat all our backsides if it came down to it. Go for your dreams and let nothing stand in your way....... My father in law who is also on the job once told me before I got hired "If being a cop is in your blood, You will never be happy until you are one". It's True.

Stay Safe and Good Luck 1*

Comment

Depends on the investigator - some will visit to get a feel for the applicant or to get clarification on some information, some feel it is not necessary or inappropriate.

As a veteran about 10-12 investigations (Fed and local - both with polys) I have had a total of 2 contacts from the investigator - one to clear up a matter on my college degree, and one to get one more personal character reference since the first one I listed had passed away suddenly. My life is an open book.

As for blanket medical releases - the Feds do 'em. Don't like 'em, but they do them. State and below agencies have state laws to contend with...

And about ladies in law enforcement? In the Academy, we had a 5' 1" 100 lb lady that just about kicked everyone's butt (mine included) - she knew what she was doing and made no bones about it... and I'd partner with her on the street any day and be proud to be there.

My $0.02, your mileage may vary. Doors, tires, and brakes optional at extra cost...
                            Last edited by MountainCop; 12-28-2005, 09:09 AM.
                            Stop Animal Testing!! (Because they really skew the grading curve...)

Comment

ditch that arrogant *****

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10030 users online. 343 members and 9687 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X