X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martial arts?

Hi,

So I

There are a lot of effective arts out there, and the common thread among them is that they practice hard, against live, resisting opponents instead of punching the air or having training partners magically flip backwards because you try a wristlock. What works in the real world? Usually what works in Mixed Martial Arts (UFC/Pride) type events. What do those guys use? They use Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, Wrestling, Muay Thai, Kickboxing and Boxing. Why? Because they work. Lots of people swear by Krav Maga, but I haven't found a competent instructor in my area, so I hesitate to take it or endorse it.

American Pankration is just another term for MMA, so it could be really good or pretty bad. Ask what the instructors credentials are. And if you go in for a free lesson or whatever, try to spar with someone who's been training for about 6 months. Even with no martial arts experience, you'll be able to decide "Is he at the level I'd like to be after training hard for 6 months, or has he just wasted 6 months of his life?" That's usually a good barometer for the quality of a school.
    *Not a cop*

Comment

I do BJJ. BJJ is the best for ground fighting, and thats where I wanna take em, to the ground. Pankration is lame, you gotta wear those stupid pro wrestling boots.

Comment

BJJ is where its at, all fight end up on the ground, so thats where you want to be strong.
        All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Bjj

BJJ has been the most effective. I have had to unlearn most of my training. Just find something that works for you - but remember when you train and spar you will have your firearm on your hip and it can limit what you do.

Be safe and best of luck,

M

Comment

Bjj?

What is BJJ?

Comment

Brazilian jiu jitsu.

Lot of topics on this board about this, look em up.
              If you wanna have some basics i

Comment

Originally posted by padsrule33
                BJJ is where its at, all fight end up on the ground, so thats where you want to be strong.
                BJJ has its weaknesses too. And all fights only end up on the ground if you take the BG to the ground or can't stop him from taking you there.
                *Not a cop*

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9258 users online. 248 members and 9010 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X