Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indiana State Police.....they finally did it.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana State Police.....they finally did it.

I saw this in the Indianapolis Star yesterday. I've been hearing rumors that it was going to happen, sure enough, it did. Here's the story:

INDIANA STATE POLICE APPLICANTS
    Fighting for recruits
    Agency is easing entry requirements

By Michele McNeil
    [email protected]

The Indiana State Police, which is locked in a fierce competition with other law enforcement agencies for new recruits, plans to lower the bar for admission by dropping its college requirement.
    Candidates will need only a high school diploma or to pass the general educational development test to apply for the State Police starting as early as next year. The goal is to increase the number of candidates, especially minorities, who want to work for the department, said Superintendent Paul Whitesell.

HOME TO BECOME A STATE TROOPER

To increase the pool of applicants, the Indiana State Police is changing two key requirements to be a trooper:

Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

If the paycheck was better, I'd submit my app right now. What stops me from doing so is the lack of a competitive salary in comparison to troopers working in neighboring states of Illinois, Ohio and Michigan.

Comment

I don't think they're accepting applications right now. Their website is confusing. And they have a requirement that you must stay employed there for at least five years after you're hired.

Comment

ISP accepts applications year round. Their website is in the process of being updated too. Yes, they do require you to remain with them for five years after graduating from the academy. I was with the ISP for a short time in the academy before I got injured and had to leave. The contract they mention basically states this (the one I signed anyway), if you graduate, you will stay with ISP for five years. If you leave prior to five years and go to another agency, you must repay the Indiana State Police a sum of $50,000. However, if you leave within that five years and stay out of law enforcement for one full year before going back in, you do not have to pay that amount back.

My class, the 64th recruit school, was the first one that had to sign that type of document. The reason being, they were losing several troopers to other federal, state, and local agencies shortly after these guys were finishing the academy. Basically just trying to protect their investment.
        Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

Comment

I was down at ILEA on Tuesday for Project Blue LIght and spoke to some cadets. They said they started the class a few weeks ago with 50 and even though they had replacements for some dropouts, they were already down to 39 cadets.
          "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."
          John Adams, April 15, 1814

Comment

First This is causing discussion in my house, the wife is from Indiana, and i am pretty well fed up with law enforcement in Missouri, Not sure if I want to move to Indiana though.

Second, a Question, Do they pro-rate the five year thing, $50,000 seems awfully steep, I mean good grief, My wife was a teacher and her contracts were never bigger than a full years pay penalty.

Third, A General question, Does everyone think that this is the first, of many rollbacks in requirements? So many agencies that I know of are DQ'ng so many people for such completely minimal stuff, that they end up with tiny hiring pools. I know of an agency that just started over rather than hire what they had left.
            Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Comment

Indiana State Police

I always thought ISP was a top-notch agency. Guess I was wrong. Recently, some gung-ho trooper stopped my dad (a retired Cincinnati cop) for speeding (9mph over). Very easily could have given my old man a break but no...... "Sir I'm sorry, I pulled you over I'm going to have to issue you a citation". My dad was wrong for speeding no doubt. But come on, like there won't be another sppeder come along in about.......now!!!!!!!!

Way to go robocop..... That is exactly why I became a city cop.

Guess what.... I can teach a dog to fetch cars

Comment

Originally posted by purdinpopo
                First This is causing discussion in my house, the wife is from Indiana, and i am pretty well fed up with law enforcement in Missouri, Not sure if I want to move to Indiana though.

Second, a Question, Do they pro-rate the five year thing, $50,000 seems awfully steep, I mean good grief, My wife was a teacher and her contracts were never bigger than a full years pay penalty.

Third, A General question, Does everyone think that this is the first, of many rollbacks in requirements? So many agencies that I know of are DQ'ng so many people for such completely minimal stuff, that they end up with tiny hiring pools. I know of an agency that just started over rather than hire what they had left.
                As far as pro-rating the $50k question, sorry to say, no they do not. The wording in the contract was very specific about the full amount anytime within five years. The (then) superindendent made it very clear as well. For your third question. I don't really know what else they can do as far as rolling back any more requirements. They cut the biggest hurdle, the 60 hours/military/LE expierence. All that's there now is the hs diploma. Before the 60 hr requirement came about, ISP was seeing anywhere from 2,500 to when a sgt. buddy of mine went through (1989) 5,600 people showing up on the day of the written test.

Biggesto said he spoke with some cadets that said they started out with 50 cadets. Guess what, that was from a total applicant pool, for this round, of 240 people. I think for the first few classes, now that the requirements have been removed, we'll see bigger pools, but not that big. The pay just isn't there for most people. If I went back and was accepted again, I'd take an almost $8k pay cut. We'll see how they go. Probably won't even be a class in '06 from what I'm hearing.

Comment

Originally posted by sflacop
                  I always thought ISP was a top-notch agency. Guess I was wrong. Recently, some gung-ho trooper stopped my dad (a retired Cincinnati cop) for speeding (9mph over). Very easily could have given my old man a break but no...... "Sir I'm sorry, I pulled you over I'm going to have to issue you a citation". My dad was wrong for speeding no doubt. But come on, like there won't be another sppeder come along in about.......now!!!!!!!!

They still are a top-notch agency. You have these types (who will write a cop) in every agency. Makes no difference, state cop/county cop/city cop.

Comment

Originally posted by sflacop

Hmmmmm ... ... I guess y'all took it a little personal huh?

Me thinks that maybe one man's "Gung HO" is maybe just another's idea of "Fair Play"? There is a way to avoid the risk of having to find out which is his you know.

Anyway, it will pass with time, all of mine have!

By the way, a Dog is one of God's most noble creatures.
                    "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12441 users online. 432 members and 12009 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X