300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting into an academy??? Help!

I currently live in Denver. With no College education and no experience below my belt, I can't seem to get into an Academy. I've applied to many different Cities. Getting as far as oral boards, but others are getting picked over me because they are better qualified already. Going to an Academy that I pay for (here in Denver) is out of the question as I am the sole breadwinner. The wife and I have 3 children to support. I can't up and quit my job to go. I have to be hired on as a trainee, so there is SOME income to help support my family.

Anyway, we are now moving to Oklahoma because the cost of living is MUCH cheaper and I will be able to afford to go to an Academy. Only now, I can't seem to find one in Ok. Seems as if you have to be hired by a police dept. and they put you through the Academy there- regardless if you've been trained already or not.

Is this normal? I guess it's just weird because it's NOTHING like Denver! Does anyone know if it's just as difficult to get in as Denver?? I've wanted to be a cop all my life. Anyone know of a certain state/city that is in dire need of officers that they don't have enough applicants and might actually be interested in someone with no experience??

Thanks for any advice you can offer!!!

If you're willing to relocate, apply to a southern state. Atlanta for instance

I was in the same financial situation as you, I applied here, got hired, made recruit pay during the academy...then, officer pay when I hit the street. Forget open enrollment and self pay academies...they don't work!

Comment

Originally posted by tnajk
      I currently live in Denver. With no College education and no experience below my belt, I can't seem to get into an Academy. I've applied to many different Cities. Getting as far as oral boards, but others are getting picked over me because they are better qualified already. Going to an Academy that I pay for (here in Denver) is out of the question as I am the sole breadwinner. The wife and I have 3 children to support. I can't up and quit my job to go. I have to be hired on as a trainee, so there is SOME income to help support my family.

Anyway, we are now moving to Oklahoma because the cost of living is MUCH cheaper and I will be able to afford to go to an Academy. Only now, I can't seem to find one in Ok. Seems as if you have to be hired by a police dept. and they put you through the Academy there- regardless if you've been trained already or not.

Is this normal? I guess it's just weird because it's NOTHING like Denver! Does anyone know if it's just as difficult to get in as Denver?? I've wanted to be a cop all my life. Anyone know of a certain state/city that is in dire need of officers that they don't have enough applicants and might actually be interested in someone with no experience??

Thanks for any advice you can offer!!!
      oklahoma is one of the few states *apparently* that does not offer a "pay your own way" academy, you have to get picked up by a dept, then they send you, or there is a small hand full of depts here that have their own academy,
      from what i have seen on here, i WOULD NOT SUGGEST going to a pay your own way academy, they seem like a really big waist of money,
      as far as getting on with no experience, well, its just the luck of the draw where you apply, some of the smaller pds want precertified officers due to budget problems, however, some of the little bit bigger pds dont care, and are primarily used as stepping stones to a larger pd or the hwy ptrl,
      as for the big pds, okla city, tulsa, norman, i dont think, again I DONT THINK, they really care if you have experience, because you go through their academy, but they are fairly selective, especially okla city,
      I DO KNOW that tulsa pd is hurting badly for cadets, might be worth looking into,

hope this helps.

Comment

I will throw my 2 cents in here. If you go to OSU-OKC, you can enroll in the COP program. While getting your degree, you will go thru the CLEET, which is Oklahoma's Academy. I am in OSU-OKC, but I got hired by a department who is sending me to CLEET. What part of Oklahoma you moving to? Any other ??? let me know.

Comment

I completed the COPS program at osu-okc. You earn an associates degree in police science while getting certified as a full time officer. After you complete the program you go to CLEET and take a final test. The catch is, after you pass your final CLEET test you have 2 years to get hired as a full time officer otherwise you will probably have to take some legal blocks over after you are hired.

osu-okc offers alot of the classes at night.
          http://www.osuokc.edu/home/home.htm

here's some information about the COPS program.

http://www.cleet.state.ok.us/COP.htm

Good luck!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12867 users online. 433 members and 12434 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X