X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

haha

work alot of overtime!!

Comment

One of the many things my family said to me when I told them what I wanted to do with my life (besides being 6'4'' is too short for a cop, 190 lbs. is too thin for a cop, etc.) was that cops don't get paid much. I suppose in some areas they don't, but cost of living is different everywhere.

Imagine being a cop in one of those major cities, with a wife, children, multiple car payments, college for the kids, mortgage, etc. I'm glad it's just me and kitty!
      "Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions."

"Carry daily. Apply sparingly."

Comment

hahah No doubt. It is just me the pup and the cat. I thought about my own budget when looking into them. I didnt even consider all that. Good point.

Comment

Yah, most people think all cops have to moonlight. In my area, average pay is about $2600 a month. I could live off that.
          "Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions."

"Carry daily. Apply sparingly."

Comment

Originally posted by JakeK
            One of the many things my family said to me when I told them what I wanted to do with my life (besides being 6'4'' is too short for a cop, 190 lbs. is too thin for a cop, etc.) was that cops don't get paid much.
            Hopefully, you told them that it greatly depends on where you live and what department you work for. I earn a salary that keeps me quite comfortable. I daresay that several other LEO's on the board will agree.

Comment

Originally posted by blackandgold978
              Hopefully, you told them that it greatly depends on where you live and what department you work for. I earn a salary that keeps me quite comfortable. I daresay that several other LEO's on the board will agree.

*Rasies hand*
              Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Originally posted by k5fan01
                Yeah it does. But how would you survive meanwhile. Good on the guys that do it. You must really like the job to do it for what you do.

survive: no credit cards, get a room mate, no car pay ments....

it's called make sacrifices....or go flip burgers at burger king.....

www.schackdaddy.com
                " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Originally posted by SlowDownThere
                  I mean it. Get a spouse that can support your law enforcement habit. That's how most of us do it.

That is exactly what i had to do.She is a RN and makes about 50 grand a year,for most of our marriage,my take home has been less than 10 grand a year.
                  FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SlowDownThere
                    I mean it. Get a spouse that can support your law enforcement habit. That's how most of us do it.
                    My girlfriend's going to law school, I can't wait until she becomes a lawyer.

Comment

Bottom line is, if you want it bad enough and you love the job...You'll do it. Besides NYPD officers get alot of overtime and that helps.
                      "Do not draw me without honor"

"Do not sheath me without Justice!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tikidaddy
                        Bottom line is, if you want it bad enough and you love the job...You'll do it. Besides NYPD officers get alot of overtime and that helps.

That's great they have the ability to make some extra dough but when do we draw the line?
                        I used to work all the OT I could get my hands on because I liked the money and the work. I found that I was burning myself out and not spending much time at home. Now I work a small amount at a time.

TGY
                        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Salary question in general

This points to a fundamental question: What are salaries like.

I live in Ottawa, Ontario Canada and am a psychological profile away from being hired. Now initially I'll be taking a huge paycut 43k(US) to 24(US) (I currently work as a research assistant for the City) but will the pay scale reaches 57k(US) after 36 months. Is this sort of range 24-57 over a 3 year period comparable to anything any of you have experienced?

Comment

Originally posted by Trix
                            This points to a fundamental question: What are salaries like.

I live in Ottawa, Ontario Canada and am a psychological profile away from being hired. Now initially I'll be taking a huge paycut 43k(US) to 24(US) (I currently work as a research assistant for the City) but will the pay scale reaches 57k(US) after 36 months. Is this sort of range 24-57 over a 3 year period comparable to anything any of you have experienced?
                            Yeah, it's fairly common. Once you get through with training/probabion, you start making decent money.
                            The first year is rough a lot of times. But then again, you're getting paid training.
                            Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

Once again: Live within your means. If I want material possessions, I work overtime for them. I did not come from money and I am a transplant to the GA area. There are several cops that I work with that do this job as a hobby. This is because "mama and daddy" owned land and sold it as the population got larger, then passed the money down to their pampered kids. There are other cops that like to "keep up w/the Jones's" They have all the materials but are a slave to their part-time gigs. I constantly hear their spouses whine about how they are never around
                              ""Liberals are liberal until something happens to them or someone they love, then they want the rules to change"

Comment

Not that hard. Our dept. has unlimited overtime and its not going anywhere for a long time. We have over 1500 vacancies on our dept right now. The pay isnt bad either for the guys just starting out. You just have to move out a little further. Everyone does it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9408 users online. 363 members and 9045 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X