Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to afford being a Cop?

Hey all,
    First off I want to say Hey. I have been following the forums and officer.com for awhile and enjoy it. There is a lot of expierence out there to help people.

Well my question is....I have been looking at NYPD and LAPD. I have reviewed their salaries and also have looked at how much apartments are there. How do officers afford it??? For example, a one bedroom one bath hole in the wall will cost around 2000 a month. I just dont see how they can afford it off of the salaries they get.

If yall know the trick let me know. I really want to work for one of the two but dont see how I would be able to.

Stay Safe out there and thanks for your help.

You either shack up with other officers or look at other departments to work at besides the two biggest agencies in the country.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by k5fan01

If yall know the trick let me know. I really want to work for one of the two but dont see how I would be able to.
      There's no trick to it. 1000's have done it and will continue to do it. Living at home w/ the parents and/or racking up credit card debt is a reality for many police officers.

That said, it is always helpful if you get hired in an area that you know. Besides the aforementioned parentals, you have friends/family that you can rely on. Also, you know the area so you know how to get around and find cheap housing, etc. Not having student loans is a plus too.

FYI, you can do a lot better in NYC than 2000 for a 1 BR hole in the wall. Like I said, people from NYC know how to live in the city cheap.

Comment

I live in an area of the country where police officers make decent money in comparison to the population. I have a little creditcard debt but working a little OT knocks that debt down.

I am by no means rich but I can afford to have a decent house, car, take a few trips a year. i also have student loans too and I didn't come from money. At least where I live, I don' t understand how anyone can say cops don't make alot of money. I just don't see it.

Comment

K5, Why dont you stay here in GA? There are some great Agencies here. Plus, you might be able to find a gig as a courtesy officer and pay nothing.

Comment

It's all relative to where you live. In Los Angeles County we have officers starting around 55k with houses in decent areas starting around 550k. I would probably be safe to assume that your house is twice the size of the houses in CA that I am talking about and that they don't cost 10 times your salary. Heck, my mom just sold here HUGE house in Grosse Isle, MI for a little over half what I sold my house in CA for but my house in CA was 50 years old and 1200 sq ft on a tiny lot.

NYPD is even worse, 25k a year to start, that isn't good no matter where you live.

Originally posted by Mtclem4
            I am by no means rich but I can afford to have a decent house, car, take a few trips a year. i also have student loans too and I didn't come from money. At least where I live, I don' t understand how anyone can say cops don't make alot of money. I just don't see it.
            "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Avoid credit card debt and drive a car you can afford. It seems half the guys I work with live a comfortable middle class life, or even better. The other half are a paycheck away from bankrupt. Cars, boats, motorcycles, and the ever popular ex-wives are the common denominators of the latter group. On our salaries, you can afford a luxury or two, but you can not afford them all.

Comment

Marry well.

I mean it. Get a spouse that can support your law enforcement habit. That's how most of us do it.
                You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Hey all,
                  For example, a one bedroom one bath hole in the wall will cost around 2000 a month. I just dont see how they can afford it off of the salaries they get.
                  I can't speak for NY, but in the LA area you can get a rather nice three bedroom apartment for $2,000 per month, a two bedroom for around $1,500 and a one bedroom for around $1,200. The problem is knowing what is a good area, what is not, and how to find the rentals. Most out of area folks go to one of the rental agencies that charge you $65 for a month's worth of listings to check out. Landlords that list with them tend to have better quality properties. In addition, landlords figure that if you can afford the $65 fee, you are not trash.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by irishnut
                    K5, Why dont you stay here in GA? There are some great Agencies here. Plus, you might be able to find a gig as a courtesy officer and pay nothing.

I was looking into and probably will. I am just trying to keep several options open if my first few dont work out. I would like to work for Dekalb, APD, or Gwinnett here in GA. I have done the courtesy officer thing and it was a huge relief on the bills. That is one of the reasons I love LE in GA, they take care of the officers.

Yeah as far as everything else, it is too bad officers in LA and NY have to struggle like that. I dont know if I could do it.

Comment

In South Florida, where I am, the housing market was on a recent boom. Many younger cops have apartments or rent houses. I stuck away quite a bit for about 10 years and got in just before the market boomed and bought a nice home.

It is planning financially, although sometimes luck helps.

Comment

Originally posted by jnhdrac
                        Avoid credit card debt and drive a car you can afford. It seems half the guys I work with live a comfortable middle class life, or even better. The other half are a paycheck away from bankrupt. Cars, boats, motorcycles, and the ever popular ex-wives are the common denominators of the latter group. On our salaries, you can afford a luxury or two, but you can not afford them all.
                        You hit the nail on the head. I've known too many people who had to have all the toys... motorcycle, brand new pickup truck every couple years (to keep up with the other guys getting them), boats that they used once or twice a year, bigger house than they could afford, usually an ex-wife and some kids thrown in there somewhere too. Of course they're going to have financial troubles, the profession they're in doesn't matter. The vast majority of PD's pay enough to live comfortably, as long as you live within your means.
                        Although they could always pay a little more
                        Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

Originally posted by Washingtonian
                          You hit the nail on the head.
                          Ditto. Plus work for a dept that pays you well period. I'm sorry but I'd have a hard time going to work to any job that paid me crap when I could do it for more money elsewhere. Many cities don't give a rat's arse on raising pay when people continue to work there.Until they start matching and being competitive I'll stay put.
                          I give a lot of credit to those working for pebbles who have to work multiple jobs to stay above.
                          Also yes live below your means. If you want more you have to make more.

TGY
                          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Yeah as far as everything else, it is too bad officers in LA and NY have to struggle like that. I dont know if I could do it.
                            Honestly, to me NYPD pay doesn't look so bad after you've been on for 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by waffles
                              Honestly, to me NYPD pay doesn't look so bad after you've been on for 5 years.

Yeah it does. But how would you survive meanwhile. Good on the guys that do it. You must really like the job to do it for what you do.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12792 users online. 468 members and 12324 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X