X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jas14
    replied
    3/31/20 State Police FTE 5,785
    3/31/21 State Police FTE 5,602 (Estimate)

To me that means 183 NYSP Employees left or retired in the last year, and they didn't hold an Academy.

On the same line NY estimates on 3/31/22 there will be 5,602 FTE's. You could read that as NY is not hiring any more Troopers, bad news. But, you have to realize that Troopers will continue to retire (looks to be a Trooper retires every 2 days from what I can tell?) So if NY says on 3/31/22 that we will continue to have 5,602 FTE's, that means this next Academy ~September, will be the new hires to replace those that retired over the last year. Seeing that same 5,602 number is a good thing. Now if that number was, ~5,420, that would mean they are letting the older guys retire with no new hires. I'm not a budget expert but all of the info on the budget website (to me) points towards an upcoming class.
    Last edited by jas14; 04-09-2021, 02:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ascaldwell
    replied
    Are you sure that's the current budget being signed? Executive budget was proposed by Cuomo in February/Marchish (before the federal stimulus).

From what I understand, we need to see the Enacted Budget with a bill that is revised and voted on by the legislature and then signed by the governor.

I also could be completely wrong and need to take a civics class so take this with a grain of salt.

Leave a comment:

• nyc4419
    replied
    Budget Highlights
    The FY 2022 Executive Budget recommends $1.0 billion in All Funds appropriations for the Division ($743.9 million General Fund; $16.8 million Special Revenue Funds - Federal; $133.0 million in Special Revenue Funds - Other; and $128.5 million in Capital Funds), a net increase of $8.0 million from FY 2021. This year to year increase will fund a contract, allowing the Division to implement a statutorily required Body Camera program.
    The FY2022 Executive Budget recommends a workforce of 5,602 FTEs, unchanged from the previous fiscal yea

Leave a comment:

• Ingoldof
    commented on 's reply
    That's what I'm hoping too! Only time will tell I suppose. I keep checking their website hoping for an exciting update.... one day

• nyc4419
    commented on 's reply
    Deleted........
    Last edited by nyc4419; 04-08-2021, 08:48 PM.

• ascaldwell
    replied
    It's the appropriations bill that has to be published (April 6th, I believe). It says the assembly already passed it yesterday.

As for if it will be enough, I think it could go either way depending on the cost of body cams and academy size.

Body cams I heard are $7.6 million a year and an academy is ~$40 million.

https://www.syracuse.com/state/2021/...this-year.html
    Last edited by ascaldwell; 04-08-2021, 04:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Buffalo_17
    replied
    Yeahhh, that’s not gonna cut it in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• nyc4419
    commented on 's reply
    When was that part of the budget published?

• ascaldwell
    replied
    It looks like State Police received $62.2 million in addition to the original appropriations bill. Making the budget roughly $955 million. This is a ~13-14% decrease from pre-Covid budget ($1.1 billion).

Not sure if it will be enough for an academy and body cams, but we shall see.

To look this up go to the link below and search "SD2500D" and toggle text underneath the search bar.
    http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/navigate.cgi?NVDTO:
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• ascaldwell
    replied
    Yeah, it's all speculation at this point until the numbers are actually posted.

Leave a comment:

• nyc4419
    commented on 's reply
    Yes that is an old photo as if NYS was not to get any federal bailout. Not sure if anyone can find the same photo but updated with the new budget that passed

• ascaldwell
    replied
    Here was our funding (i think this was Feb. or March) prior to the federal stimulus that NYS has received. From this same briefing book, it indicates that they wanted to allocate $1.3 billion to recover what they cut across the board from all criminal justice agencies (~$1.4 billion) last year.

I'm assuming that they'll stick to their guns with somewhere around $1.3 billion (about $1 billion for state police), but who knows what they'll do (the senate was proposing far lower).

Not trying to discourage or disprove anyone, but that's my read into the budget process (i.e. I could be way off).
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by ascaldwell; 04-07-2021, 04:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dukefan23
    replied
    Those numbers are also pre Covid cuts, our budget last year ended up being 885 million which equated to a 19.9 percent cut.

Leave a comment:

• Dukefan23
    replied
    That’s last years budget, we’re in FY ‘22, the budget has passed but specifics haven’t been made public yet.

Leave a comment:

• JustHopeful
    replied
    The FY 2021 Executive Budget recommends $1.0 billion in All Funds for the Division ($735.9 million General Fund; $16.8 million Special Revenue Funds - Federal; $133.0 million in Special Revenue Funds - Other; and $128.5 million in Capital Funds), a net decrease of $4.4 million from FY 2020. This year to year decrease is due to retroactive collective bargaining payments made to Troopers and Investigators in FY 2020, offset by an increase to support the State Police Hate Crimes Task Force.

The Executive Budget recommends a workforce of 5,741 FTEs for the Division and is unchanged from FY 2020. (I am not sure how many troopers retired but if anyone knows the number of troopers that are currently employed that would be helpful. I hope they need a lot so we can get in there and help! Please keep me posted on any news you all have.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5567 users online. 311 members and 5256 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X