Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MB Troop
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2007

I wonder when the first sighting of a canvass letter will be.... :::::drum roll:::::

Comment

• NYSPSMDY
      Forum Member
      • Jun 2007

Anyone on this post ever have lasik surgery, if so, where? And how much fun am I looking foward to. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most fun? I've heard that it's painless. I've also heard it hurts like a son of a gun? Any input would be appreciated.

Comment

• hxd
        Regrouping
        • Jul 2007

There are a bunch of people on the board who have had LASIK, myself included. There have been several threads about it in the last few months.

If you want to search for one of those threads, you'll find most of the information you're looking for.

Comment

• Dr. Peebody
          Forum Member
          • Jun 2007

i'm sure some of you have seen that show 'the academy'.........i've been out of the academy since february, but its still making my stomach turn a little watching it.

Comment

• NYCardinal85
            Troll Patrol
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by NYSPSMDY
            Anyone on this post ever have lasik surgery, if so, where? And how much fun am I looking foward to. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most fun? I've heard that it's painless. I've also heard it hurts like a son of a gun? Any input would be appreciated.
            PRK hurts much more than LASIK, from my experience. When I had PRK two months ago, it'd feel like a tiny needles were in my eye and I'd wake up in pain regularly until I got the bandage lens taken out four days after the surgery. I imagine it differs from person to person though, because as you said, for some it hurts and others it doesn't.

Comment

• BigWill2876
              Forum Member
              • Jan 2008

Prk

My Brother had PRK done this spring at USNA. That is all they do there because of some problem with other types when flying and pulling high g's in combat.
              He had 20/40 prior to and now is 20/15 after. Said it was painful immediately after and he still has eye dryness at the end of the day.
              But said it was worth it since he wants Naval Aviation for his service selection this fall.

Comment

• hxd
                Regrouping
                • Jul 2007

Ahem...
                Originally posted by grey25
                Well gents...
                I can't speak for anyone else. I, for one, take exception to that. I can't remember the last time I was ever accused of being a gentleman.

NYSPSMDY,
                I had my LASIK done in Rochester. I paid about $5k for the procedure, but I had the custom wavefront with the laser flap. Hands-down, the best money I've ever spent.

The day of the surgery, they gave me a couple Advil and a couple valium. Bad move on the valium, because it actually made me more anxious. (It was the first time I'd ever had valium, and I didn't know I'd react that way to it. If you know how you react to it, use your own discretion.) After they took their final measurements, they dilated my pupils (A LOT) and numbed my eyes with drops. When they took me into the OR, they put me down on the bed of the laser machine and put my head in a cradle. Then they brought the laser over my eye and had me focus on a red dot for the entire procedure. It took less than a minute to cut the flap with the laser, a minute or so to do the actual ablation, and about five minutes for the doc to smooth the flap back into it's original position. Same procedure for the other eye. During the entire procedure, the only thing I felt was a pressure on my eye.

There was a reason they told me to go home and try to get some sleep. Once the anesthetic drops wore off, my eyes burned like NOTHING I had ever experienced before. I've taken a couple of hits of OC in my career. I've even taken a hit of CN. This sensation dwarfed either of them by a mile. Had I been able to actually fall asleep when I got home, I would have slept right through it.

I had to wear goggles for 24 hours. After that, I had to wear goggles at night for the first week. The main purpose of the goggles was to keep from rubbing the eyes when they got dry and scratchy. I also had to do lubricating eye drops every hour (when I was awake) for the first couple weeks. For the first week, I had to do antibiotic drops and steroid drops 3-4 times a day. After the first couple weeks, I was able to back off the times a little bit. Six weeks later, I only have to do drops twice a day - a couple extra times when I'm sitting in front of the computer all day. My tear production has picked up again to the point where I'll be able to stop the drops altogether in another few weeks.

After 24 hours, my vision improved to the point where I could legally drive without corrective lenses. They gave me a letter indicating that I had refractive surgery and that my vision was corrected to 20/25 or better. I still couldn't actually drive though. My eyes were STILL really freaking dilated. It takes longer for the drops to wear off if you have lighter eyes. Mine are so light that it took two full days for me to be able to drive. At the 1-week follow up, my doc signed off on my DMV paperwork to have the corrective lens restriction removed from my DL.

I still have some very minor issues with halos. Overall, the quality of my vision, and as a result, my lifestyle, has improved dramatically. My only regret is not having the procedure done sooner.

So if I can offer a couple of pointers as a result of my experience:

(1) Make sure you have your pre-op, surgery, and post-op care done by a REPUTABLE doctor. It IS surgery, and they ARE your eyes.
                (2) Follow their instructions PRECISELY.
                (3) Plan for a 2-3 hour nap after the procedure. The night before the surgery, cut an hour or two out of your sleep if you can. Or consider going to the gym (or go for a little while longer) in the morning.
                (4) Once you have the procedure done, and you don't need glasses or contacts anymore, invest in a GOOD pair of sunglasses. PROTECT THOSE EYES!!!I didn't blink (no pun intended) about paying $200 for a pair of Ray-Bans and another $200 for a pair of Oakleys. It's WELL worth the $200 to protect a $5000 investment in my future.

Comment

• DubyaSTI

I had Lasik done about a year and a half ago. Spent just under 5k at TLC (The Laser Center)...money well spent IMO.
                  I had just about the same exact experience as HXD...no pain during the procedure (they gave me a teddy bear to hold during so that helped LOL). About 2 minutes after the procedure the burning started and lasted about 3 hours. Those 3 hours were pretty bad. Every time I had to relubricate my eyes, I would PRY them open and tears would come gushing out. After those 3 hours things got much better, and I could open my eyes without too much pain.

I also have slight issues with halo's around lights at night, but nothing too bad. Overall I would absolutely do it again and recommend it to anyone.

My brother on the other hand had PRK and he said the pain was so intense that he wouldn't do it again.

Comment

• FUTURETPR
                    Forum Member
                    • Apr 2007

Any of you guys interested in the NYSPP, Like graypatriot said jump on it, it is turning out to be a great career and the academy is very similar to SP. Also we are usually working hand in hand with SP.
                    sigpic

Comment

• NYSPSMDY
                      Forum Member
                      • Jun 2007

To everyone who responded about lasik...thanks. I appreciate the feedback. I assume with my rank number, I'll be called for processing this first class( unless the first academy class only has 4 or 5 people). So I need to look into this real quick. But as said in one of the posts, you don't want to just hop on the first deal you see!

Comment

• hxd
                        Regrouping
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by nytrooper.com
                        Surgery must be completed at least 30 days prior to physical ability testing. If a candidate is not able to complete the surgery prior to physical ability testing date then the candidate must have documentation showing that an appointment to have the surgery completed has been made within two weeks after the PAT.
                        Your first step is to find a reputable doc that does vision correction. Sit down with them and find out exactly what procedures you're a candidate for. You may be a good candidate for PRK but not for LASIK, or vice versa. Once you get an opinion, get a second opinion from a different doc. If the doc pressures you to get the procedure done or if he flips you attitude, walk away and don't come back. Remember, they ARE doctors, and they ARE supposed to have their patients' best interests in mind.

When I went to my doc, he told me that I would be a good candidate for the standard LASIK, but I would probably have better results with the wavefront procedure. Then we discussed the merits of having the flap cut with the laser as opposed to the blade. At the end of the consultation, I politely said "thank you for the time. I hope you won't be offended if I do my own independent research and perhaps consult another doctor before making my decision." His response was "I want you to do what's best for you. My information is complete, honest, and accurate. But I know it's a big decision, and you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you weren't completely confident in the decision you're about to make." In the end, he's the one who did my surgery.

Whatever you do, DO NOT MAKE A RUSH DECISION about the procedure OR the doctor. If you research it thoroughly and make a good decision, you will love it. If you miss something and make a poor decision, you could go blind. Sure, it's only a slight chance. But there is a chance nonetheless.

Comment

• OTVFD18
                          Forum Member
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by NYCardinal85
                          PRK hurts much more than LASIK, from my experience. When I had PRK two months ago, it'd feel like a tiny needles were in my eye and I'd wake up in pain regularly until I got the bandage lens taken out four days after the surgery. I imagine it differs from person to person though, because as you said, for some it hurts and others it doesn't.
                          I had PRK on Monday. I have had no pain at all, just some dryness one night. They key is staying away from AC, fans, etc. and dropping your eyes constantly. Also, sleep with the humidifier if possible. I have been dropping every hour or so and I feel great. I was 20/300 pre-surgery. 6 days later now, I'd have to say I'm about 20/30 or 20/40.

Comment

• FightingOrange
                            Forum Member
                            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by NoLimits
                            I had surgery at lasiks MD out of Syracuse, NY. i had Zioptics Lasik surgery. Zioptics meaning larger area of correction (better night vision when pupils dilate). no pain what so ever. only irritation afterwords because your eyes feel dry 24/7 and you cant touch them, lasting about 3 weeks. went from 20/400 in both eyes to 20/15. cost-$900/eye + $500 for 5 year insurance (free exams/ redo's). would do it 100x over if i had to

Wow, that's not bad, I was still under the impression Lasik surgery was still costing an arm and a leg. Where in 'Cuse are they located? I've been contemplating Lasik myself, and I would rather pay for it out of pocket rather than rely on the military to do it for me... Most Navy docs are pretty good, but i've worked with a few "special" ones that i'd rather not have working on my eyeballs....

Comment

• a cashew
                              Forum Member
                              • Dec 2007

I did LasikPlus in Westbury, NY. Had some co-workers who did it and loved it.

I did CustomVue bladeless LASIK. I had better than 20/20 vision the day after the surgery. No problems since.

My fee included free lifetime correction.

Comment

• SlowDownThere
                                Cherub of Justice
                                • Sep 2005

Two pages of LASIK chatter. The thread has been officially hijacked.
                                You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12157 users online. 74 members and 12083 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...