Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York State Police

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by mleggio View Post
    Are you talking about the NYSP test? The last test was in 2004, and with an 80-85 called right away? It was 2 years before I got my call and I had like a 91-92. My friend scored a point or so higher and he got called only a month before I did and there were 5000 people listed between us.

    I took the 2001(?) exam and ranked right around 5100 on the list. It took about 16 months for me to get the call. Unfortunately, I had to defer because I hadn't yet finished my degree. Then life circumstances prevented me from getting back on the list. Because of my age, the exam in January is my LAST shot at the stetson that I want so bad.

    Comment


    • I am from california, so i dont understand but it seems like the NYPD is not thought too highlly of on this thread, i understand this is a NY state PD thread but whats the deal with NYPD are they not that good of a department.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by jabra View Post
        I am from california, so i dont understand but it seems like the NYPD is not thought too highlly of on this thread, i understand this is a NY state PD thread but whats the deal with NYPD are they not that good of a department.
        You won't catch me saying anything bad about the NYPD. I have met some of them over the years and they are a great bunch of guys. And I always come away with a good feeling when I've had any contact with them.

        Some of it may just be starting pay. They actually lowered starting pay a few years ago, and it is now just about half of the starting pay for the SP. That comparision only is valid for starting pay, however. Still, I wouldn't want to try to live in the metro NYC area on 25k a year.

        The link below will give you some insight into what NYPD's guys think of the dept.



        http://pub135.ezboard.com/fnypdrant64609frm1
        You can now follow me on twitter.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by jabra View Post
          I am from california, so i dont understand but it seems like the NYPD is not thought too highlly of on this thread, i understand this is a NY state PD thread but whats the deal with NYPD are they not that good of a department.
          Its not that people don't think highly of NYPD. The problem is they are way under paid for what they have to deal with and with the cost of living in the city it is not worth it for a lot of people to go down there. You can make $30,000 to start on the job upstate and the cost of living is MUCH lower.

          Comment


          • Sorry SDT looks like we posted at the same time.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by dirtyduce View Post
              Sorry SDT looks like we posted at the same time.

              Yup, and said the same thing.
              You can now follow me on twitter.

              Comment


              • I bet the cost of living in the city of NY is comparable or more than out here in Orange County, CA and almost all of our departments start at, at least double what NYPD makes, also im sure that its a pretty busy job, i cant believe they pay them that little.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by dirtyduce View Post
                  Its not that people don't think highly of NYPD. The problem is they are way under paid for what they have to deal with and with the cost of living in the city it is not worth it for a lot of people to go down there. You can make $30,000 to start on the job upstate and the cost of living is MUCH lower.
                  Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                  You won't catch me saying anything bad about the NYPD. I have met some of them over the years and they are a great bunch of guys. And I always come away with a good feeling when I've had any contact with them.

                  Some of it may just be starting pay. They actually lowered starting pay a few years ago, and it is now just about half of the starting pay for the SP. That comparision only is valid for starting pay, however. Still, I wouldn't want to try to live in the metro NYC area on 25k a year.

                  The link below will give you some insight into what NYPD's guys think of the dept.



                  http://pub135.ezboard.com/fnypdrant64609frm1
                  Yup those are the main reasons why me and most people I know that want to get into LE are trying to avoid the NYPD.






                  Originally posted by jabra View Post
                  I am from california, so i dont understand but it seems like the NYPD is not thought too highlly of on this thread, i understand this is a NY state PD thread but whats the deal with NYPD are they not that good of a department.
                  The NYPD is a great Agency, but I'm trying to avoid it because of the Pay, the starting pay for a rookie is 25k and the top pay for a 5year vet is 59k and it's hard to make it out here in NY with that type of money NY and Cali cost of living is almost the same except cali is a little higher I think, I make 25k now working part time at a store, that's the only bad thing I hear about the NYPD, their equipment is ok, they still use type writers to boucher stuff 0_o (should be interesting if I go with NYPD because I've never used a type writer)
                  Last edited by John2008; 08-29-2007, 11:09 PM.
                  "Why you harassing me?"

                  Comment


                  • No police officer should make less than $50,000 starting pay, being very realistic with the cost of living nowadays. WIthout naming any specifically, there are a lot of "safe" jobs out there where you can make that much with the same education without putting your life in danger. It takes dedication to take a job for that little pay when there are a lot easier routes. I remember when "$24,308" was the starting pay if you wanted to become a NYS Trooper, and you were locked into that salary for two years before getting a raise. Troopers with children qualified for WIC. To live in NYC making $30,000, and if you're a one income family with kids, GOOD LUCK!!! Shame on the system for putting people in that position!
                    Be ashamed to die until you have done something good for mankind.”
                    American pastor Dr. Vernon Johnson during the Revolutionary War

                    Comment


                    • I was once told by a local police officer that State Troopers were overpaid. I told him he was looking at the situation all wrong. I explained that it was he that was underpaid! Put a few of these legislators in a patrol car for a few weeks with us and I think they would understand our job a lot better.
                      This would be me -
                      This would be the legislator -
                      Be ashamed to die until you have done something good for mankind.”
                      American pastor Dr. Vernon Johnson during the Revolutionary War

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Standing_Tall View Post
                        This would be me -
                        This would be the legislator -
                        LMAOOOOO
                        "Why you harassing me?"

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Standing_Tall View Post
                          This would be me -
                          This would be the legislator -
                          Now that is funny
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • I know an academy class just went in last month. Was wondering if there is any talk of when the next class might be and what size?
                            Even though people are speculating that there might be 2 more classes taken from the last test, is there any possibility that they will kill the old list and start hiring off the upcoming test? Time frame wise it would be hard to do if they want to have 2 classes a year.
                            Just some questions and thoughts from a guy that has missed the last 2 classes and doesn’t want to be sitting the next one out.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by gsp View Post
                              I know an academy class just went in last month. Was wondering if there is any talk of when the next class might be and what size?
                              Even though people are speculating that there might be 2 more classes taken from the last test, is there any possibility that they will kill the old list and start hiring off the upcoming test? Time frame wise it would be hard to do if they want to have 2 classes a year.
                              Just some questions and thoughts from a guy that has missed the last 2 classes and doesn’t want to be sitting the next one out.
                              My BI and local recruiters recently said there will be one more class around Feb/Mar and will be approx. 150+ people. If your list # is under 7k you have good chance of making the last class. If it's over 7k you have a 50/50 chance from what i'm hearing. This is providing you already went through most of the processing.
                              sigpic
                              IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by ATrooper2b View Post
                                My BI and local recruiters recently said there will be one more class around Feb/Mar and will be approx. 150+ people. If your list # is under 7k you have good chance of making the last class. If it's over 7k you have a 50/50 chance from what i'm hearing. This is providing you already went through most of the processing.
                                When I talked to the recruiter about not making the last class he said that the last person to make the August class was 7851 on the list to include all military and deferrals. I think your numbers are a little off. If you add backfills in to that your talking about another 10 to 20 people.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 7511 users online. 270 members and 7241 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X