300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OTVFD18 View Post
    They actually snowmobile and ATV a lot during the fall/winter/spring months (which is cool if you're someone like me). ?
    I was j/k when I said they do nothing. The guy from my county says he is on a snowmobile for the Winter months, but he was no where to be seen for the fatalities we had. They have one person covering the entire county for 80 hours a week- that is one on either platoon. They really have it good because a supervisor is nowhere to be seen or heard of - no offense SDT
    The NYSPP would suit all those guys from down state as they typically keep you down there for a couple of years.

The NYSP have boat units too. These guys a regular road troopers that rotate out of the boat at their station. They used have jet skiis and ATvs too, not sure if they are used anymore.

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
        I was j/k when I said they do nothing. The guy from my county says he is on a snowmobile for the Winter months, but he was no where to be seen for the fatalities we had.
        The downstate part is what concerns me about the NYSPP. I wonder if you are close to me, we had multiple snowmobile fatalities this winter.

Originally posted by GrayState View Post
        Hrm, NYSPP sounds like fun. Guess there is a lot I didn't know about their job. Where do I sign up?
        Haha, if you want to make the switch to Parks, I'll be happy to take your spot in SP

Comment

• Originally posted by OTVFD18 View Post
          The downstate part is what concerns me about the NYSPP. I wonder if you are close to me, we had multiple snowmobile fatalities this winter.
          What's wrong with here downstate??? Long island, other than the fact that everything is more expensive downhere. I was concern about getting NYSP and getting sent upstate but now I'm looking foward to it. Maybe I'll get sent to one of those places upstate where they do cow tippin and I can finally try it.
          "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

They really have it good because a supervisor is nowhere to be seen or heard of - no offense SDT
            Ha ha, no offense taken.

I'm used to the jokes, but I don't think people actually avoid me. I'm not a mean ole bear, yet anyways.
            You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

They really have it good because a supervisor is nowhere to be seen or heard of - no offense SDT
              There are plenty of stations thoughout the state that have great supervisors... some even take the LT's test and become ZC's... I keep a close eye on promotions and would seriously consider tranfering if/when my first SC makes ZC. I've heard great things about SDT's station/zone, I got cut a huge break by one of his Troopers the day I out proscessed the AF, flying past a spot where I knew there was a pretty good chance of a Blue and Gold lying in wait (hadn't seen the GF in almost a year), worked for one of his line SGT's last year on the manhunt and contemplated transfering to his station a couple of years ago. There are also places in the state where the 'supervior' is a the senior most Trooper who gets extra money in his check to make sure the gas sheets get faxed and a few other things
              sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• That "extra pay" is small potatoes considering the extra work load. $8.32 per week that they pay to be "Member In Charge" doesn't even cover the coffee I drink trying to keep the station organized, especially during our "assesments".
                Be ashamed to die until you have done something good for mankind.”
                American pastor Dr. Vernon Johnson during the Revolutionary War

Comment

• Originally posted by Standing_Tall View Post
                  That "extra pay" is small potatoes considering the extra work load. $8.32 per week that they pay to be "Member In Charge" doesn't even cover the coffee I drink trying to keep the station organized, especially during our "assesments".
                  Hence the smiley. Stay safe Brother.
                  sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

It had to be the physical aspect of it. I can run low 9min 1.5 miles, do 100+ push ups and I have always been able to knock out at least 60 sit ups per minute, but I hurt for the first 14 weeks...

The PT was designed to weed out the weak. After 1.5 hours of PT in the morning, 2 hours of DT, and then being smoked for anohter 1.5 hours in the evening between 6:30- 8:00pm everyone was beat down. Half my class was prior military and it kicked everyone's butt. We had a guy who did 320 pushups (untimed) and they would keep us in the front lean and rest until he caved in and trust me that took forever!!! I hate even talking about it!
                    Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
                    Good run times but to give you a better gauge of your fitness level. For a DT instructor the min run time is 9:45, 49 sit ups, 51 pushups (way too easy), and bench 1.37 of your weight, which would be 285 for you!
                    So I found some of GrayPatriot post regarding the academy PT and to be honest with you it scares me, but I guess that's what separates the man from the boys, I've been running 2 and 3 miles switching them every day one day 2miles next day 3miles but after reading this I need to step it up so I'm going to try to run 4miles from tomorrow on and step up my push ups and sit ups, all I can do is train for it I guess and hopefully I'll make, but I can't wait for my 6months of torture and pain at the academy.

I don't think anyone has asked this question, but what do they feed you while in the academy? and anyone has any stories to share regarding the PT when they went through the academy????
                    "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

• Originally posted by John2008 View Post
                      What's wrong with here downstate???
                      Long Island and downstate aren't for me. My dream has always been to live in the woods, where you can't see your neighbors or the road from your front door. No offense...

Side note...visited the NYS Fair today. I know some of you were commenting on how much that detail sucks but I must say I talked to quite a few Troopers today and all were up-beat helpful, even in the rain. Special thanks to the recruiters for chatting with me for about an hour as it poured out!

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
                        There are plenty of stations thoughout the state that have great supervisors...
                        Mine included, but if my SC left I may be tempted to move on to another station...

Originally posted by John2008 View Post
                        So I found some of GrayPatriot post regarding the academy PT and to be honest with you it scares me,

I don't think anyone has asked this question, but what do they feed you while in the academy? and anyone has any stories to share regarding the PT when they went through the academy????
                        I heard from the new guys out of the class before last that they allow you to take bathroom breaks during PT. No one took a break unless it was an emergency just a few classes ago. Slowly but surely the academy is leaning towards a more academic environment. Also, I was responding thinking about a guy who went through a 16 week 9-5 academy. The first 2 days of week 16 for us were smokers esecially in the evening when a lot of other academy recruits are home with their feet up watching TV.

Basically if you make it through the first 3-5 weeks they can't throw anything at you that you haven't already seen... And they don't smoke you ever evening espeically near the end...

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                          I don't understand why NYSP does not allow daily communication with family, I know it's a para-military environment but a 10 minute call everyday does wonders for recruits and family members.
                          That is part of the test... do you want to wear this uniform enough to out up with the mental stress of 'missing mommy' on top of everything else they throw at you. Later in the academy some classes earn the privlidge of being able to use cellphones for a few minutes at night.
                          sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• Originally posted by John2008 View Post

Ah, the food is wonderful.

In the morning, they have a nice selection of gourmet coffees to choose from, as well as an assortment of freshly squeezed fruit juices, teas etc. They will have some nice pastries from a nearby french bakery, and of course, they cook eggs to order. I still don't know how they make their homefries so good. I can never make mine like that at home.

For lunch, more fresh fruit, as well as deli style sandwiches. There is always at least two hot entrees to choose from, and two soups too. Once a week they have homemade strawberry shortcake for dessert. Just deelish!

For dinner, you get the best meal of the day. You always have two hot entrees to choose from. My favorite was the Chilean Sea Bass with the mango chutney. If they have that, be sure to get it. Once a week they grill T-bone steaks to order, and once a week they have prime rib. You get a nice slice too, about 2 inches thick. I would always ask the chef for an end cut that was rare. (Don't ask the first week, as it takes a little extra effort on his part to do that). I remember some of my other favorites there. They made a wonderful Bolognese sauce, though I though the fresh pasta was just slightly overdone. Being italien myself, I prefer the pasta al dente. Hell, I can't complain, I gained about 20 pounds at the academy.
                            You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Rotflmao!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                                Ah, the food is wonderful.
                                LMAOOO. Sarcasm right?????, I always thought they would feed you food that taste like cardboard. This reminds me of "you can bring a small refrigerator with you to the academy on the first day" and "the ATO sgt has a nice little cart for you to put your stuff on when you get into the academy when they stuff gets too heavy" LOL
                                Last edited by John2008; 08-24-2007, 08:07 PM.
                                "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8166 users online. 375 members and 7791 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X