Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright guys I need some advice from my brothers. I am going through what appears to be the end of my background for State Police ComSpec and I just got a call to start my BI for State Park Police. As I try to prepare for my role as NYSTpr what position would be better for me as of right now? Thank you in advance. I made a list of pros and cons already.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by FUTURETPRKP View Post
      Alright guys I need some advice from my brothers. I am going through what appears to be the end of my background for State Police ComSpec and I just got a call to start my BI for State Park Police. As I try to prepare for my role as NYSTpr what position would be better for me as of right now? Thank you in advance. I made a list of pros and cons already.
      Become a Comm Spec... you will learn a little about the life of a Trooper before even going to the academy. Plus, you'll have a jump on confidence on the radio.
      sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
        Become a Comm Spec... you will learn a little about the life of a Trooper before even going to the academy. Plus, you'll have a jump on confidence on the radio.
        If one were to become a Comm Spec and then make the jump to Patrol, would one retain length of service for the purposes of retirement, seniority, etc? I'm guessing it wouldn't be a way to work around the age limit.

Confidence on the radio? That's an entirely different discussion for me...

Comment

Alright guys I need some advice from my brothers. I am going through what appears to be the end of my background for State Police ComSpec and I just got a call to start my BI for State Park Police. As I try to prepare for my role as NYSTpr what position would be better for me as of right now? Thank you in advance. I made a list of pros and cons already.
          NYSPP without a doubt. The SPP guy in my county has backed me up on a bunch of calls and he gets a lot of DWIs. Just in the last 2 weeks he has backed me up on around 3-5 domestics, a couple of bar fights, a pursuit, some bs calls, and I have worked the Alcotest for him on one of his DWIs.

Originally posted by hxd View Post
          If one were to become a Comm Spec and then make the jump to Patrol, would one retain length of service for the purposes of retirement, seniority, etc? I'm guessing it wouldn't be a way to work around the age limit.

Confidence on the radio? That's an entirely different discussion for me...

No.

Comment

I would say go with NYSPP
            1)you get some patrol exp
            2)you get some court exp when someone takes one of ur traffic tickets to court
            3)you will get the radio exp too becuase you will be talking over the radio while in the patrol car.
            4)you will get a hang of doing paper work and narrative reports.

I would say go with NYSPP, I did the seasonal park police officer thing with one of the counties and it was a great expriance, I went to court cause someone took one of my tickets to court,had to write a few reports here and there I did some real police work and plus I got some patrol exp while at it, if I get the chance this summer I would do it again.
            "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

• Two academies though.
              You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                Two academies though.
                The last academy class had 3 recruits who had just finished the NYSPP and went directly into the NYSP academy... In the same building

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
                  The last academy class had 3 recruits who had just finished the NYSPP and went directly into the NYSP academy... In the same building
                  I guess only good thing about that is that your already in shape for the NYSP academy.
                  "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                    I wonder how that NYSPP felt about that.

I would never do back to back academies, by the end of my 27 weeks of training my body was drained, needed a few weeks to recover to feel normal.
                    I've done 2 academies, though several years apart.

Thank God I'm done with that crap, er......training. At this stage in my life, I don't see me doing it again, ever.
                    You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Nysp/nyspp

Are the two academies pretty much similar to each other....or there are alot of differences ...?

Comment

• Guys I really appreciate all the feedback from all of you. I am still giving it thought and will continue to. I went for my BI today and it went well so I am told I will be talked to in three weeks by the NYSPP polygrapher. And now I can see why I was asked a million and one questions about the NYSP because of the people that transferred. I was asked if I wanted to work for the State Police or if I was taking the next exam and if I would take the job or any other job if I were to get the NYSPP. I hope that doesn't hinder my chances because I told them I would and my goal was to be a trooper. As far as two academies, I could look at is as just another school year .
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                          I wonder how that NYSPP felt about that.

I would never do back to back academies, by the end of my 27 weeks of training my body was drained, needed a few weeks to recover to feel normal.
                          People are always leaving for deprtments they believe are better. Some are not always pleased with the move. A lot of NYPD guys who just completed the academy jump on board to the NYSP after completing their academy.

Originally posted by Cadet2020 View Post
                          Are the two academies pretty much similar to each other....or there are alot of differences ...?
                          The last NYSPP class was held in the same building and apparently they used some of the same instructors for EVOC and firearms so... yeah pretty similar... The NYSPP must go through a special series of classes teaching them how not to die of boredom in the winter months

Comment

As far as two academies, I could look at is as just another school year .
                            Congrats! It is my plan as well to try and get into eithers Parks or UP if I'm not looked at by the SP right away. As far as the two academies, never thought if it that way, makes it seem a lot less painful

Comment

• Originally posted by OTVFD18 View Post
                              Congrats! It is my plan as well to try and get into eithers Parks or UP if I'm not looked at by the SP right away. As far as the two academies, never thought if it that way, makes it seem a lot less painful
                              same here if I don't get picked for the 1st academy by NYSP in 2008 I'll be in the NYPD while waiting, I'm also taking the test for NYSPP & NYSUP but who knows.

Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
                              The NYSPP must go through a special series of classes teaching them how not to die of boredom in the winter months
                              I always wonder what the hell they did during the winter, me I guess if I get bored I would drive out of the park to southern state sit there for two seconds and give someone a speeding ticket for going 20+.
                              Last edited by John2008; 08-22-2007, 11:20 AM.
                              "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
                                The NYSPP must go through a special series of classes teaching them how not to die of boredom in the winter months
                                I actually interviewed for a summer position with NYSPP. The Sgt. that did my interview gave me some cool insight into their department. They actually snowmobile and ATV a lot during the fall/winter/spring months (which is cool if you're someone like me). They also have some interesting non-traditional parts to their academy. I heard things like boat pursuits and off-road vehicle chases are part of their curriculum?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10006 users online. 498 members and 9508 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X