Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I spoke with a recruiter this past week. He stated that he expects anyone who has already gone to a medical and has passed everything to get hired. He then went on to say, just stay patient with the pandemic going on there are too many unknowns to give any estimations on academy start times.

Comment

• jas14
      jas14 commented
      Editing a comment
      518ny what processing weekend did you go to? I don't think it's safe to assume you won't be hired off of this test. They should be doing the current class that's postponed & at least another off of the 2017 test.

• 518ny
      518ny commented
      Editing a comment
      jas14 I was in September 2019 processing. With a rank of 36**. So I would be in the front of that processing but I haven’t been to a medical which hurts me

• jas14
      jas14 commented
      Editing a comment
      518ny I was a September 2019 processor as well. No one at the September 2019 processing has been to a medical yet. Think of all of the paperwork, background checks, psychologist meetings, and polygraphs that have been done for the September processors already. I'm done with everything except for the Medical. There's no way the NYSP dismisses all of that work. We are looking very good for the class after this current postponed one. The Medical is done a month out before a class just to make sure you'll be healthy enough to go through a class without getting hurt. I would be willing to bet money that we & many other high ranking September processors will be in a class before the new 2020 test list becomes active.

• BlueBlood516
      BlueBlood516 commented
      Editing a comment
      October 2020 exam has been postponed as per NYSP social media. Very promising for September 19’ guys.

• I would beg to differ. Sounds like a hiring freeze could be coming down the pipeline. If a test can’t be held I would think it is going to be tough to hold an academy class. Locally in my area they’ve already postponed an academy that was slated to start this fall. I hope I’m wrong but it isn’t looking promising.

Comment

• BlueBlood516
      BlueBlood516 commented
      Editing a comment
      Solid point, but regardless of hiring freeze or not, if there isn’t a new exam or list established the current list applies for future classes. Regardless of what back and fourth the state and fed have NYS will (in my opinion) be receiving money to compensate a good portion of costs of this pandemic. Have to stay positive, if a class does not happen this year, eventually they will have to hire. If no test is administered the March and September guys will be up next to be hired.

• jas14
      jas14 commented
      Editing a comment
      BlueBlood516 this is what I am thinking as well. More time for the NYSP to hold classes off of the 2017 exam. Hiring freeze (if it happened) would screw everyone, but our place in line would still hold.

• Class 210 should still get in this summer, I’ve heard of a possible freeze following the next class, nothing is for sure though.

Comment

• 2020 October exam is postponed!

Comment

• 845Trooper
        845Trooper commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s true, I read it online today. They are refunding anyone everyone that signed up and you have to reapply when they open up sign ups again .So I’m assuming they are going to keep pulling from the old list most likely .

• C_Dona89
        C_Dona89 commented
        Editing a comment
        They still need a new test because if they didn’t they wouldn’t have scheduled one for October. I’m pretty sure it’s a money issue for the state they’ve spent way too much because of this pandemic. I believe for now it’s the cheaper solution for them because even though we pay for the test it still cost them money to have one.

• Dukefan23
        Dukefan23 commented
        Editing a comment
        I think it could be a combination of the two, class 210 should be safe though.

• jas14
        jas14 commented
        Editing a comment
        @C_Dona89
        Edit: Redid my budget research and here is what I got
        FY19: NYSP got $994,657,000 that ended on March 31st 2020
        FY20: NYSP got $1,018,667,000 that started on April 1st 2020

Looks like NYSP got a bump up in funding despite COVID-19? I'm no expert by any means.
        Last edited by jas14; 05-07-2020, 06:48 PM.

• State and NYC budget was finalized based on federal funding being provided through a stimulus bill. Funds have not been provided yet for state and local governments. Cuts will have to be made but I don’t foresee NYSP being affected. Deblasio came out and said on Tuesday of this week that he doesn’t foresee cuts to NYPD or Corrections. I don’t think Cuomo has commented on NYSP but I don’t see major cuts to NYSP if any. Their are other portions of the budget that take up a lot more financial support.

Comment

• jas14
        jas14 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good info didn't realize that they did the budget based on future Federal funds

• Yea it was based on if money would be there down the road. Their was a clause signed into affect by Cuomo allowing him to make adjustments throughout the year based on revenue gains or shortfalls.

Comment

• Class 210 was approved in last years budget

Comment

• Based off this information coming out it looks like a hiring freeze is underway. As for 210 class that is up in the air now and if anything I’m guessing it probably won’t happen until 2021 if they do decide to run it

Comment

• jas14
            jas14 commented
            Editing a comment
            What info other than the Test being postponed makes you think there will be a hiring freeze?

• Buffalo_17
            Buffalo_17 commented
            Editing a comment
            jas14 - the 08 hiring freeze happened because NY didn’t have a budget it was also during the recession. What’s going on right now with 33 million on unemployment and NY projected to lose 14 billion makes this pandemic much worse than 08. Money is going to be needed elsewhere. With the next exam being canceled that hints there is no 210 class until at least 2021. And who knows at this point how long this pandemic and business closers will last. The longer NY stays closed the worse our chances get

• ysfj2810
            ysfj2810 commented
            Editing a comment
            When that hiring freeze occurred, did they say anything, or keep everyone in the dark? After being in limbo off the past 2 tests, it'd sure be nice to know of the games up without waiting another year or two to find out.

• They won’t wait that long to run class 210, their isn’t anything pointing to things being pushed out that far. Unless you are getting that info from someone on the job that info is extremely inaccurate. We were a month away with everything done, ready to go. Between retirements and risk of a second wave they will more than likely need to get us going. I’d imagine a lot of us who graduate may end up downstate to help the cause in that scenario. Also, this for us isn’t as bad as the 08 crisis because when that happened our state had a governor that didn’t back the troopers like Cuomo does. We’re in a health crisis, first responders will continue to come first. We have to be optimistic, and tough.

Comment

• jas14
            jas14 commented
            Editing a comment
            People love to rip on Cuomo but he is very supportive of funding emergency response in NYS.

• The postponement of the test is a result from our academy being postponed and so many ppl active still on the list who have passed the process more than likely as previously commented.

Comment

• Also, comparing the '08 recession to today is different because our economics weren't sound (i.e. housing bubble). Today the source of unemployment and a the budget deficit is the government boot on the throat of businesses (whether it is justified or not because of the virus) and not poor economics. It's up in the air economically. Best case is to open up now and protect the vulnerable. However, I do think Cuomo is playing politics to get a federal bailout which is in our best interest (on principle I am personally conflicted).

Comment

• I’m on the 2017-18 exam list 20xx I got called but had to put myself on educational deferment. I’m almost done with my credits should be done by the end of the year. Does anyone know when the 2017 exam expires?

Comment

• Khris2468
                Khris2468 commented
                Editing a comment
                Post to expire every 4 years

• How long the 2017 list stays active is completely up in the air due to the virus and potential economic crisis. Their are a lot of rumors floating around. I would imagine if you deferred and haven’t attended processing weekend yet you’ll have to wait for the next exam. They have a lot of people they’ve processed waiting to see what happens next, last I knew they had processed up to 11,500. Your rank is high but it’s in competition with who you go to processing with. So although your rank is 2,xxx someone ranked 11,000 because they’ve processed would get an invite first. I’m currently waiting to here when class 210 will start, my rank is 4,6xx to put into perspective.

Comment

• Ryanmackz92
                Ryanmackz92 commented
                Editing a comment
                My list isn’t high , in 2,0xx I was suppose to be in the first academy on the list , I got a 98 and I was invited to the weekend but because I’m short 16 credits I couldn’t attend. So I’m hoping when I put myself back on the list I’ll be okay.

• jas14
                jas14 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ryanmackz92 just letting you know that what Dukefan23 is saying is correct. I called member hiring about it because I had a rank like yours but needed to defer as well. I went into a September processing & was told by member hiring that anyone who processed before me would go into an Academy before me even though they had a rank that was higher on the list. You are competing with the people in your processing group, since you haven't been to a processing yet there are a lot of people that will be a head of you. I personally don't think they will even do another processing for the '17 exam. Sorry for the bad news.
                Last edited by jas14; 05-12-2020, 01:23 PM.

• As previously stated, I understand you ranked high on the exam. Unfortunately when you defer your rank gets put amongst who you proceeds with. It doesn’t allow for you to cut ahead of who’s already processed...

Comment

• Ryanmackz92
                Ryanmackz92 commented
                Editing a comment
                That’s odd because the recruitment said that I’ll be ahead of everyone because of my rank number. If that’s the case then that blows.

• jas14
                jas14 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ryanmackz92 that's how they used to do it. You used to be able to jump ahead in line because of your rank number. Now they do it based off of what processing group you are in. If they had a processing this month, you would be at the top of the list for that processing, but everyone in the September '19 processing would be ahead of you still no matter their rank.

• I was scheduled to take the exam this year in October but now they postponed it. Anybody have an idea when they gonna give the new date for the exam? Should be soon especially with more people retiring then they are hiring. So does anybody have an idea when they gonna give the new date for the exam ?

Comment

• Buffalo_17
                Buffalo_17 commented
                Editing a comment
                Right now It’s up in the air for when they will give the next exam. Optimistically I would say sometime in late 2020 or early 2021. Pessimistically I would say it may be a awhile depending on if there is a hiring freeze due to the economic impact. Realistically I think it will be somewhere in between. I heard Gov. Cuomo should be laying out the new budget cuts on May 15th. If the division of NYSP Budget is not drastically affected I believe the next exam will be put out shortly after it’s postponement, but I’f there are cuts then everyone may be waiting awhile. Just have to wait and see and hope for the best!

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4696 users online. 330 members and 4366 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X