Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• According to the website it says they are up to 11,500. Do we see them getting up to the 14,000s off the 2017 exam?

Comment

• https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ger-1.39501324 That's a new article based on the merger I found. Very interesting read.

Comment

• Hello everyone. Does anyone know if they what tattoo waivers? I have a small tattoo (2" x 2") on my left forearm close to my elbow. I am currently doing the laser removal treatment but it is going to take a long time.

Comment

• dutchessNY89
          dutchessNY89 commented
          Editing a comment
          No tats below short sleeve line. Gotta get it removed unfortunately. I work with a guy who had his lasered off on his forearm. Said it hurt like hell.

• jaguarshark
          jaguarshark commented
          Editing a comment
          No tattoo waivers. Many good candidates are DQed for tats, they do not care.

• EOW-#3814
          EOW-#3814 commented
          Editing a comment
          Jeff,

unfortunately NYSP has a strict policy for tattoos. In uniform, whether it's the formal one or not, tattoos cannot be visible pass the short sleeve line, or shorts. This is the reference they use, and applicants and sworn members are held accountable for this policy/standard.

NYSP request applicants to remove any visible tattoos that fail to meet the standard, if they wish to continue the hiring process. I dont agree with this policy, but the union has failed to address this outdated policy or even make changes to allow waivers for Military members, in my opinion.

If you have any questions feel free to send me a message.

• dutchessNY89 Thank you for your reply. Yes it does hurt more than getting a tattoo. Do you know how many laser removal sessions he did? I am on my 3rd session.

Comment

• dutchessNY89
          dutchessNY89 commented
          Editing a comment
          Anytime! I'll see him tomorrow to ask. His was similar in size to yours so it should be comparable. Some guys I've heard had LARGE pieces removed. Damn I give them credit. But the job is worth it.

• EOW-#3814
          EOW-#3814 commented
          Editing a comment
          I dont agree with your comment about the job being "worth it" to remove tattoos (Ink, art, etc). Im not gonna go into it in order to save myself the headache.

In my opinion, it is a very outdated policy and standard, it does not take away from professionalism, or the quality of service a LEO could provide a citizen.

In fact, in most police to citizen interactions, it can be very helpful in many ways.

Example, I know many officers from other agencies ive personally worked with, utilize their tattoos actually to obtain information or something very important as to de-escalating a bad situation.
          Last edited by EOW-#3814; Today, 02:13 PM.

• “Regardless of their training, we believe only 10% of the current park police officers will meet our high standards,” the president of the New York State Troopers Police Benevolent Association, Thomas H. Mungeer, said in a statement.

So is he calling them fat?
        Also when is the next academy?

Comment

• dutchessNY89
          dutchessNY89 commented
          Editing a comment
          The background investigation is different. That is confirmed by a co-worker of mine who left Parks four years ago for state police and redid our Academy. He also stated the parks academy was a bit more difficult just for the simple fact that you can not hide; a class of 35 vs a class of 250 is a bit different.

• Tommy_V
          Tommy_V commented
          Editing a comment
          dutchessNY89 And what about the next academy?
          Last edited by Tommy_V; 12-14-2019, 10:49 PM.

• dutchessNY89
          dutchessNY89 commented
          Editing a comment
          The State works in mysterious ways. No one can tell you for sure.

• jaguarshark
          jaguarshark commented
          Editing a comment
          10% is a wild estimate. Personally knowing many Parks Police officers, I believe the number will be vastly higher. Also practically every Trooper Academy has Parks Police officers switch over, and I've never heard of any of them having trouble.

• dutchessNY89 riveting. If it’s not immediately after the next class then that means there’s only 1 more class for the 2017 exam.
        Last edited by Tommy_V; 12-14-2019, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• GRNeye
          GRNeye commented
          Editing a comment
          false. I spoke with my local recruiter early last week. He said and I quote "We are anticipating holding three more academy classes off our current 2017 exam list".

• GRNeye When the new list is made the old one is thrown out.
        Last edited by Tommy_V; 12-14-2019, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• jaguarshark
          jaguarshark commented
          Editing a comment
          The recruiter is just guesstimating. There's no way to know how the NYS budget shakes out. The 3+ year hiring freeze back in around 2009 happened without warning. But *normally* there should be a few more classes. Assuming there is a 2020 test in the fall, it takes about a year to get it graded, and then 6 months or so to fully process candidates from it. By then we're talking late 2021 to early 2022 before that list gets on. (it's early morning so my math could be off)

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but trying to remind everybody that unlike other agencies, NYSP Academies are not set in stone. They are almost literally approved by the governor's office mere weeks before they begin. And they can be cancelled at the drop of a hat. Yes, it is that goofy.
          Last edited by jaguarshark; 12-15-2019, 06:18 AM.

• GRNeye
          GRNeye commented
          Editing a comment
          jaguarshark when I had the conversation with my recruiter he stated that since I have Completed initial processing, psychological, and background that unless something gets flagged, or I sign off this list I WILL be hired off of this test. I do not believe he would have told me that unless he knew it to be true, given my current situation.

• GRNeye
          GRNeye commented
          Editing a comment
          Keep in mind it's only just been a full year since the initial 'severe trooper shortage' crisis was announced. Even More and more troopers are retiring, thus bringing more needed to be hired to fill the growing gap. I understand the possibility of a "hiring freeze" I just don't see it being something they will pull budget from especially with the shortage still being relevant. But you are right. Nothing is ever "set in stone".

• jaguarshark
          jaguarshark commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm just stating facts. As recent as a few classes ago, a date was set, ATO's were scheduled to go to the Academy, and then last minute it was postponed. Emails were sent out and ATOs were recalled back to their stations. Is it normal? No. But there's a reason they tell you not to quit your job until you get the formal hiring packet.

• jaguarshark I don’t think it’s a year for them to grade the test we took the test in October of 2017 and had out results by may 2018 and they did the first process in June of 2018 so it was about 7 months

Comment

• Squez818
          Squez818 commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s true but from the date I took the test it took almost 2 full years from the test to the first day of the academy, one month shy of 2 years. And I had a really low rank number.

• I placed in the 1,500's off the 2017 exam with a score of 98.xx and had to defer due to a medical reason. I received medical clearance from my doctor and am ready to send the documentation. Do I still have a chance of landing in an academy or is it too late?

Comment

• 845Trooper
          845Trooper commented
          Editing a comment
          You still have a chance. Send the documentation in! Ya never never know what could happen . Good luck .

• Background Update is completed, second polygraph completed and passed, now its just the wait game again! If it helps to ease anyones mind, the trooper that did my Polygraph let me know that the budget for this upcoming class is in good standing and will most likely move forward when the time comes! Let's hope thats true. Good luck everyone!

Comment

• far1993
          far1993 commented
          Editing a comment
          Coleguy7 Just out of curiosity, what causes a need to go through a second polygraph? Does the first one expire after a certain time?
          Last edited by far1993; 12-29-2019, 05:35 PM.

• Buffalo_17
          Buffalo_17 commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds like good news for an upcoming class. Just curious, why did you have to go through a second polygraph for your background update?

• Coleguy7
          Coleguy7 commented
          Editing a comment
          far1993 yeah it expires after a year which I did not know and they don't tell you.

• Coleguy7
          Coleguy7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Buffalo_17 It expired so I had to pretty much re do everything.

• Originally posted by Coleguy7 View Post
        Background Update is completed, second polygraph completed and passed, now its just the wait game again! If it helps to ease anyones mind, the trooper that did my Polygraph let me know that the budget for this upcoming class is in good standing and will most likely move forward when the time comes! Let's hope thats true. Good luck everyone!
        The “upcoming class” he’s referring to could be in a year from now...you should have asked him when it will be.

Comment

• Coleguy7
          Coleguy7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Tommy_V nope he said when does this class graduate and I told him march. He said a class is going in right after, He's not talking about a year from now. Anything is possible but I'm almost certain he wasn't implying a year from now. At least that's all I can hope! You never know.

• Hello i am currently list #70xx and finished the background and polygraph early July 2019. I have since not heard much but I am aware there will be another class going in by the spring.
        Is the 7k a possible number that might be reached this upcoming class. If not would I have to expect to go through a whole new background and polygraph process?
        Thank You for everybody's time.

Comment

• far1993
          far1993 commented
          Editing a comment
          nycnyspolice last estimate that I’m aware of for this upcoming April class was expected to reach 6100. It’s unknown to me if that’s changed but 70xx seems unlikely for the upcoming class to my knowledge. You will likely have to do a background update which is just your Investigator reaching out for any updates to your background since the initial investigation. As far as re doing the polygraph - it’s unknown to me but I know another user informed me that their polygraph expired after 1 year, so you may have to retake that.

• Anyone hear anything new? Another processing weekend?

Comment

• 845Trooper
          845Trooper commented
          Editing a comment
          Last year around this time they sent out emails on the 17th for processing in early March! So let’s hope we hear something this week about the next processing.

• Coleguy7
          Coleguy7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope, nothing new yet. Unfortunately this is another time of a long pause wait until Emails/letters/Packets are sent out for any other steps in the process. I'll update if I hear anything, but I think it will be a while.

• If there were to be an academy this coming April/May, how soon do you think the medical would be?

Comment

• Aesp24
          Aesp24 commented
          Editing a comment
          If there is a upcoming class I think the physical would be the last week of February or first week of March. Someone on here said the graduation date for the current class is March 19, and last physical was about two weeks before graduation.

• Agreed! So I’m assuming this week or next week we should be getting the email telling us about the next processing.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12645 users online. 402 members and 12243 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X