X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dutchessNY89
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Khan12
    Just a thought, currently Nypd. How likely is it to receive NYC as your post after graduating or Long Island, is it tough to land nyc ??
    It is not hard at all to get NYC. Troop L you will not get out of the academy. I work with a guy who is from L who worked in NYC and absolutely hated it. I guess it’s all what you want though. Anywho, he now drives from L to upstate where I am and lives at the station during work days. Also when you make the move from NYC to L you won’t know much. Better to go from NYC to F or K and learn a bit more and then go to L. Or just don’t go to NYC at all if your end goal is L. Go to a troop where you’ll actually familiarize yourself with the job from guys that handle the road.

That’s not a slight at anyone down there, just what I’ve seen from guys who have time on that I’ve worked with and what they have actually told me. You don’t want to go from NYC to L and not know how to handle a simple PIAA. Guys with twenty years on will eat you alive, especially down there haha.

If you have any other questions feel free to message me.
    Last edited by dutchessNY89; 01-28-2020, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• Harleyriders
      Harleyriders commented
      Editing a comment
      Great info. Thanks

• jaguarshark
      jaguarshark commented
      Editing a comment
      People actually enjoy working in Troop F and K. Troop NYC not so much.

That said, years ago the closest you could get if you lived in NYC/LI was Poughkeepsie. That could potentially be a life changing commute. So the ability to work in NYC out of the Academy has its benefits.

• dutchessNY89
      dutchessNY89 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree jaguarshark. I love where I’m at in K. Listen to jaguar people! He helped me tremendously as I went through the process.
  • far1993
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2019

Has anyone heard any speculation as to what the next academy will reach in terms of rank? Or is the estimate still 6100?

Comment

• ysfj2810
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2018

Curious as to what law books are used in the academy. Can they be purchased somewhere online?

Comment

• Buffalo_17
        Buffalo_17 commented
        Editing a comment
        Most likely NYS Penal/Criminal Procedural law and NYS V&T law book. You can buy them online, make sure to get the 2020 version. You can also buy a condensed guide to go with both the penal and V&t book which helps you to understand it better.

• jaguarshark
        jaguarshark commented
        Editing a comment
        We use the NY State Penal Law and Vehicle & Traffic Law books published by Looseleaf Law. The Academy gives you a copy in case you're wondering.
    • Coleguy7
      Forum Member
      • May 2018

Rumor has it that final medical will be in early to mid march! I hope that is true, if so, letters could be sent out in the coming weeks.

Comment

• 845Trooper
        845Trooper commented
        Editing a comment
        Medical or processed weekend you’re referring too ?

• Coleguy7
        Coleguy7 commented
        Editing a comment
        845Trooper I'm talking about final medical. I have no clue or no word on another processing weekend, haven't heard anything as of yet
    • ysfj2810
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Coleguy7
      Rumor has it that final medical will be in early to mid march! I hope that is true, if so, letters could be sent out in the coming weeks.
      Rumors are dangerous... what’s the source of that one?

Comment

• Coleguy7
        Coleguy7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I know they are. I won't directly say my source but I'm feeling hopeful and confident for us all. That's all I'm doing, keeping hope alive, keeping good spirits for both myself and many others because this is a long process that feels never ending.
    • Bryguyny94
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2019

thanks for this! Would your source also happen to know if a regular, full-sized class is anticipated? My greatest fear is that they’ll cut the amount of candidates going in to make room for future Park Police transfers. Thoughts?

Originally posted by Coleguy7
      Yeah I know they are. I won't directly say my source but I'm feeling hopeful and confident for us all. That's all I'm doing, keeping hope alive, keeping good spirits for both myself and many others because this is a long process that feels never ending.

Comment

• Harleyriders
        Harleyriders commented
        Editing a comment
        Hopefully it's a full size. Rank 49XX.

• Coleguy7
        Coleguy7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Bryguyny94 I'm really hoping it would be a full size and my fingers are crossed that I make it in like many people said I should because of my rank number and that I processed almost 2 years ago and redid it all. We really never know until we know. Also I don't think the parks police merge will directly hinder this next class going in..just a thought. I also heard that the budget for next class is in "good standing" whatever that may mean.
    • ascaldwell
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2019

For those of you that are currently in or have recently graduated the academy, what was the hardest/worst part for you? Conversely, what was the best?
      Last edited by ascaldwell; 02-08-2020, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• jaguarshark
        jaguarshark commented
        Editing a comment
        The hardest part is probably living in an uncomfortable cave away from home Sun to Fri.
    • Harleyriders
      Forum Member
      • Jan 2019

Just checked my USPS informed delivery for today. Getting a letter from NYSP. Hopefully it’s the medical invite! At work until 4 so I won’t be able to check it. Anyone else on the informed delivery from USPS getting the letter today?

Comment

• Harleyriders
        Harleyriders commented
        Editing a comment
        Regular letter envelope

• Aesp24
        Aesp24 commented
        Editing a comment
        Regular letter

• jas14
        jas14 commented
        Editing a comment
        Last edited by jas14; 08-16-2021, 01:53 PM.

• Aesp24
        Aesp24 commented
        Editing a comment
        jas14 I processed March 2019, 1st medical July 2019.
    • dutchessNY89
      Forum Member
      • Jun 2017

Be ready for a class very soon!

Comment

• ascaldwell
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2019

Yep it’s the medical invite for March 7th, just confirmed mine. Rank 46xx.
        Last edited by ascaldwell; 02-10-2020, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• jas14
          jas14 commented
          Editing a comment
      • Coleguy7
        Forum Member
        • May 2018

This is awesome.....looks like my source is correct congrats everyone on getting invites for medical. I'm headed home now to see if I have one in my mail too. I'm really hoping.

Comment

• Coleguy7
          Forum Member
          • May 2018

Nothing in the mail for me yet. I'll wait until wed/Thursday. Or maybe mail man didn't come yet. I'll keep Yous updated! Mainly mail comes at 4-5pm where I live.

Comment

• Harleyriders
            Harleyriders commented
            Editing a comment
            What rank are you. Might be a day or two late..

• Coleguy7
            Coleguy7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Harleyriders I am rank number 15XX

• Harleyriders
            Harleyriders commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow. You should definitely get it then..

• Coleguy7
            Coleguy7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Harleyriders yes I would like to think so. I am getting nervous though because someone on here from buffalo got a letter. 4-5pm today can't come quick enough! I am in Buffalo as well. Haven't got a weird feeling in my stomach about something for a while haha
        • Astone1287
          Forum Member
          • Feb 2016

What rank are you guys that received a medical invite? Just trying to get an idea of how high they went up the list.
          I’m 60xx so hoping they get to me
          Last edited by Astone1287; 02-10-2020, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• Aesp24
            Aesp24 commented
            Editing a comment
            49xx and was in the last medical but my rank was not reached for the current class.

• Habs504
            Habs504 commented
            Editing a comment
            Got mine 63xx

• jas14
            jas14 commented
            Editing a comment

• Habs504
            Habs504 commented
            Editing a comment
            jas14 May 2019 processing
        • 845Trooper
          Forum Member
          • Feb 2019

Congrats to everyone who got their medical invite. I’m still waiting for my PAT invite

Comment

• Buffalo_17
            Forum Member
            • Sep 2019

Just got the letter today. Let’s hope for the best guys. Hoping they reach into the 49XX’s

Comment

• jas14
              jas14 commented
              Editing a comment
              Last edited by jas14; 08-16-2021, 01:54 PM.

• Buffalo_17
              Buffalo_17 commented
              Editing a comment
              jas14 I was in the March 2019 processing

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12298 users online. 75 members and 12223 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...