Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally recieved my packet today! Congrats 208!! Happy holidays!!

Comment

• Anyone know when medical invites will be sent out for the current processing. Everything from the BI is due January 4th.

Comment

• Jtmazari
        Jtmazari commented
        Editing a comment
        There will be another processing before there is another medical. Within the first half of the year i’m pretty confident they will call the next 2K on the list to fill up for the 209 class.

• Merry Christmas everyone!

So a while ago an NYPD PO applied to PAPD and got knocked out the process by a psychologist because he still lived with his parents at 28 years old.
      https://patch.com/new-york/midtown-n...parents-report
      He claims he was living home to save money for a house and start a family. Makes sense IMO given that he's from NYC and houses here are ridiculously expensive.

Does the NYSP DQ candidates for the same reason?

Comment

• NYCopper
        NYCopper commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m sure there were other reasons he was DQd. The SP would not disqualify you for that (I’m not sure any reputable organization would). But it also indicates the possibility that you “failed to launch”, lack life experience, have never had to be responsible for anything, etc. ie - it could send up some red flags. The other side of the coin is if your 28 years old and have 100k in your bank account because you’ve been living off your parents to save for a house - I bet you could justify it.

If your 28 and you have a really sweet ride, an affection for video games, and live in your parents basement you better be able to smooth talk your way out of that...

• NYCopper
        NYCopper commented
        Editing a comment
        I just read the article. He was DQd for being a loser...not for living in the same house as his parents.

• redzone
        redzone commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm pretty sure there is more...A lot more to his story.

• Saw a while back that we should have a wrist watch when we go in week one. Will this suffice? https://www.amazon.com/Casio-G-shock.../dp/B000GAYQKY

Comment

• TripleH92
        TripleH92 commented
        Editing a comment
        Stupid question but do we need to pack an iron to iron our dress shirts for the suit?

• Knowledge
        Knowledge commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn’t see an iron on the packing list, so I would say no. Maybe someone else has a different opinion?

• NYCopper
        NYCopper commented
        Editing a comment
        There are probably some irons left behind from previous classes. I would probably say forego the iron and starch in week one (that bag is gonna get heavy fast) and then bring that kind of stuff in subsequent weeks. Eventually you will want an iron and starch..it becomes more important once your issued your recruit uniform which takes weeks. You will be in your suit for several weeks and you will all have the general thrashed look (and smell) for a while.

• redzone
        redzone commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, that watch is fine.

• Huge Congrats to those selected. What a great Christmas present. Good luck to all. I'll be taking a Military make up in January.

Comment

• Good luck 208! Make sure to bring your ATO a coffee your first day for double points

Comment

• Congratulations to all accepted!
        Can anyone advise what list number they got to to fill this class? I know several of the 1st processing group had to retake their physicals.
        I’m curious how many, if any from the September processing made it?
        Anyone know anyone from that Sept group that got in?

Comment

• jaguarshark
          jaguarshark commented
          Editing a comment
          Check the ranks of whoever got called for backfill, that should be the closest number.

• Homeland17
          Homeland17 commented
          Editing a comment
          How can you check/get that info?

• Tommy_V
          Tommy_V commented
          Editing a comment
          You will have to know someone that is a backfill Homeland17

• Endeavor22
          Endeavor22 commented
          Editing a comment
          I was from the retake group, I am 20 on the backfill list.

• Happy New year's everyone! Be safe

Comment

• Hope you future 208ers are enjoying your last holiday off for about the next 20 years.

Comment

• NYCopper
            NYCopper commented
            Editing a comment
            My93rx - If it’s your normal day off you have the holiday off. Normally it rotates so one platoon has Christmas for 3-4 years and then the other platoon has it. I just had my first Christmas off in 10 years of law enforcement...

• NYCopper
            NYCopper commented
            Editing a comment
            Knowledge - just wait until you get on the job. It gets much worse...lol.

• Tommy_V
            Tommy_V commented
            Editing a comment
            Knowledge is a troll, go back a few pages and you’ll see what I mean

• Knowledge
            Knowledge commented
            Editing a comment
            -Tommy-V - I never saw you reply to that other person that commented on that chain about hearing about having a 2019 exam also. They must be a troll to right?

• Hey guys, for those whom already been in, I'm 20 on the backfill list. Is this reachable ?

Comment

• my93rx7tt
            my93rx7tt commented
            Editing a comment
            I think you have a shot. It's crazy how many people think this is the job for them just to realize on the first night/first week they were mistaken. We lost a handful of recruits our first night and around 10 at the 2 week mark. We only had about 35 to begin with though so With over 200, I'd guess the numbers could be higher. For us, they couldn't back fill after the 2 week mark.

• jaguarshark
            jaguarshark commented
            Editing a comment
            A conservative estimation is that 10% will drop within the backfill period. With the class being 250, I'd say it's very likely they'll reach you. Definitely be in PT shape.

• TripleH92
            TripleH92 commented
            Editing a comment
            ^ That is what the recruiter told me way back in July as well, 2 weeks is the window to start and who ever is a backfill is for the next class. 3 friends of mine are also back fills some are in the 30’s and 40’s and i heard 4 people have already had to differ before the academy has even started. Stay ready!
            Last edited by TripleH92; 01-02-2019, 12:37 PM.

• Endeavor22
            Endeavor22 commented
            Editing a comment
            Great, thanks guys. I'm very close back to pt shape. I'm a little worried I won't be at the 50% from the surgrey but I was told that if I fail the test in the beginning that I just get my was chewed and go on remedial p.t

• For the academy I realize we’re going to be responsible for getting haircuts on the weekends, for guys that have been through I’m curious if you just bought some clippers and had your girl cut your hair everytime your home?

Comment

• TripleH92
            TripleH92 commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m getting a #2 or 3 all the way around, and like you said Bizzy, i’m going to keep it shaped up every weekend.

• jaguarshark
            jaguarshark commented
            Editing a comment
            Just buzz it to a #2 or lower and you can do it yourself in 5 minutes every weekend. Don't waste your time away from your friends and family going to a barber.

• Giantsfan101
            Giantsfan101 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I bought a pair of clippers by the time weekend comes the last thing were going to want to do is go wait and get a haircut for an hour, easier just to do it at your house and save some money also. I went 2 all around aswell.

• dutchessNY89
            dutchessNY89 commented
            Editing a comment
            A 2 was too long for us. We were all zeros and skin.

• A few tips on packing for the first weeks:

1) bring air freshener. You're gonna stink from all the PT from morning PT and from the rest of the day. Staff lives in the dorms too and don't appreciate it smelling like a dumpster.

2) Pack as light as possible, especially for the first 2 weeks.

3) Alarm clock. Nothing fancy please.

4) liquid soap/body wash. Your showers are going to be literally 1 minute long. Wet, soap, rinse, done. Next.

5) bring a shaver, electric is fine.

6) it's fun for the staff, but for your own good please just wear a black suit. Don't go slim fit. I assume you know why. Many go to WalMart and buy a $20 suit off their "George" brand. It's unlikely you'll ever want to wear this suit again.

For some reason this surprises many recruits, but this organization and *especially* the Academy operates in a para-military environment. You will be addressed sternly and often angrily. You will be expected to march around, stand at attention, and say things loudly with a command voice. No looking around, no fidgeting, no questioning authority. Suck up the pain and learn as much as you can while attempting to stay positive. You must look out for each other and watch each other's back. The recruits you meet on night one will be your friends for the rest of your lives.

Comment

• MisdemeanorMike
            MisdemeanorMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Deleted...
            Last edited by MisdemeanorMike; 01-18-2019, 09:17 PM.

• NYCopper
            NYCopper commented
            Editing a comment
            Bring everything on the list. Including the wrestling shoes...don’t be that guy.

• TripleH92
            TripleH92 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah that’s s good point, Last thing I want is to be that guy not that i was going to not bring them but was just asking around is all!

• Arctyler
            Arctyler commented
            Editing a comment
            Our recruiter told us don't worry about packing our wrestling shoes for the first week, she said it'll just be one more thing to weigh our bags down.

• Congrats 208, can anyone who has gotten their duffle bag already advise what size or brand they got?

Comment

• Are there any high ranked back fills in here? Trying to figure out what rank they are up to.

Comment

• SuperTrooperNY
            SuperTrooperNY commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm 45 on the back fill list and i'm ranked around 2100.

• Tommy_V
            Tommy_V commented
            Editing a comment
            I need a number that is at least 2300
            Last edited by Tommy_V; 01-02-2019, 03:15 PM.

• Don’t carpool for the first few weeks. It’s not good when your driver quits and you’re stuck trying to figure out a ride home Friday night.
          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• jaguarshark
            jaguarshark commented
            Editing a comment
            Now it's strictly prohibited until they say so. Still doesn't ensure 100% compliance tho.

• reils49
            reils49 commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m getting old

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11199 users online. 466 members and 10733 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X