Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So should we bring everything just in case or is it alright to hold off on some items? Will they check bags to see if you have everything asked for on the list... Also do we need to know how to spit shine or should we bring a shine kit. Thanks..

Comment

• Thanks a lot Graystate. I was kind of looking forward to that but looks like i'll have to settle for the stories. If I hear any news from now till then i'll be sure to post but thanks to everyone who supplied information throughout the months it's been very helpful and shows the great character of the NYSP.

Comment

• I haven't seen the list you guys received, but I'll go out on a limb here.

First, you want to keep your energy level high, and that means lots of small meals throughout the day. I suggest that you bring healthy stuff, like fresh fruit, not cookies and crap. Also, bring enough so that you can share some with your quadmates. It's all about teamwork guys.

Second, If you are going to bring things from home to personalize your room, you have to be careful. Photo's of spouses and children are fine, as are movie posters, or posters of cars and sports figures. Absolutely no racy stuff, you will get into trouble for that. As far as curtains, they paint so often that I don't know what color the walls are so bring a neutral color such as beige.

Third, a portable DVD player will come in very handy, as there is lot's of down time, especially the first week. If you bring one, be sure to bring headphones so you don't disturb your quadmates, and no "adult" dvds.

Ideally, you would know who your quadmates will be so that you don't duplicate the small appliences. But since you won't know, bring one or two small appliences such as a Mr. Coffee (for the room) or popcorn maker. Dorm size refrigerators are ok, absolutely no full size refrigerators, however.

Good luck to the new hires, and PM me with any questions.
        You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
          It's all about teamwork guys.
          Yes it is... Anyone who is prior military and knows how to make a bed you can bounce a quarter off of... help everyone in your quad with their beds sunday night. I found that my quad got screwed with very little because we all helped each other with everything all the way up to graduation.

If you have a quadmate that is married and from Jamestown and you're single from Albany... you should probably be offering to make his rack for him Sunday when you get there so he can spend a few more minutes at home.

There is no Troop I for a reason.
          sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayState View Post
              Your advice is worth its weight in gold.
              You typed gold, you you meant another four-letter word.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayState View Post
                Your advice is worth its weight in gold.
                Forget Hillary, Barack, and Rudy....SDT for president

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• This may have been discussed before, but would any NYS Troopers recommend any study guide/material, prep-course for the exam?

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by NYSP61 View Post
                      This may have been discussed before, but would any NYS Troopers recommend any study guide/material, prep-course for the exam?

Thanks!

The test is reading comprehension and picture memorization... neither of which you can teach.
                      sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

I haven't seen the list you guys received, but I'll go out on a limb here.

First, you want to keep your energy level high, and that means lots of small meals throughout the day. I suggest that you bring healthy stuff, like fresh fruit, not cookies and crap. Also, bring enough so that you can share some with your quadmates. It's all about teamwork guys.

Second, If you are going to bring things from home to personalize your room, you have to be careful. Photo's of spouses and children are fine, as are movie posters, or posters of cars and sports figures. Absolutely no racy stuff, you will get into trouble for that. As far as curtains, they paint so often that I don't know what color the walls are so bring a neutral color such as beige.

Third, a portable DVD player will come in very handy, as there is lot's of down time, especially the first week. If you bring one, be sure to bring headphones so you don't disturb your quadmates, and no "adult" dvds.

Ideally, you would know who your quadmates will be so that you don't duplicate the small appliences. But since you won't know, bring one or two small appliences such as a Mr. Coffee (for the room) or popcorn maker. Dorm size refrigerators are ok, absolutely no full size refrigerators, however.

Good luck to the new hires, and PM me with any questions.
                        You guys know this was a joke, right?

They don't actually permit refrigerators.

Comment

You should have left them. It would have been funny to hear about some guy bringing all that crap to furnish their rooms. I heard a few classes ago some guy have a small TV with him. He was left holding that for a while...
                          Last edited by GrayPatriot; 08-03-2007, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
                            You should have left them. It would have been funny to hear about some guys bringing all that crap to furish their rooms. I heard a few classes ago some guy have a small TV with him. He was left holding that for a while...
                            The coffee maker is ok, though, right?

Comment

I would pay to be at the academy to see the wolfpack forming at the front doors if someone brought all that stuff... well... even any of it. I'm fairly certain it would be worse than when Airman Brooks reported to basic training for Flight 424 at the 322 TRS with half an afro that was green and the other side of his head bald. They didn't leave him alone the entire 6 weeks.

Just a small hint guys... you will be carrying whatever you bring with you in your weakside hand for a long period of time so you might want to pack very light for the first week. If it's as hot as it was when I reported you will quickly loose 5 lbs of water weight just standing out front waiting to go inside and be 'greeted'
                              sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
                                I would pay to be at the academy to see the wolfpack forming at the front doors if someone brought all that stuff... well... even any of it. I'm fairly certain it would be worse than when Airman Brooks reported to basic training for Flight 424 at the 322 TRS with half an afro that was green and the other side of his head bald. They didn't leave him alone the entire 6 weeks.

Just a small hint guys... you will be carrying whatever you bring with you in your weakside hand for a long period of time so you might want to pack very light for the first week. If it's as hot as it was when I reported you will quickly loose 5 lbs of water weight just standing out front waiting to go inside and be 'greeted'

If you have lot's of stuff, use the front door's, at the circle (near the statue). The First Sergeant's office is near those doors, and he has a flat cart you can use. He'll probably even help you load your stuff if you ask.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11521 users online. 410 members and 11111 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X