• about 10% = $100 based on past results

Comment

• Originally posted by FUCCO View Post
      about 10% = $100 based on past results
      Less for NCO's.
      You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
        No one from the new test in 2008 will make it for a March test. That is just not going to happen.

A side note on age:

In my session there was only 2 people under the age of 25 out of 26 people and this seemed to be the norm for the class. They do hire 21 and 22yr olds but the average age seemed to be around 27. Last transfer we got 4 new guys at my station and three of them were over 30 and the 4th was 26.
        So those of you around 20 if you don't score too well on the upcoming test it may be a blessing in disguise.

Some people on here want to hear only the postive information. I am just adding a dose of reality.
        Originally posted by GrayState View Post
        They make me wear a junior trooper sticker badge when i go out on patrol...
        I was 22 when I finished all of the processing, but the initial class that I processed for was really small and I didn't make it in until I was 23.

GrayPatriot is right though, most will be 25 and older. Don't expect to get into the first class either. I had other plans to keep me busy until it happened. I don't think anyone in my class was 21.
        Originally posted by ATrooper2b View Post
        I would say out of the approx. 300 people who processed this weekend, the majority looked 25 and older. Unfortunately for most guys under 25 you will lack a particular commodity known as "Life Experience", which is highy desired by most state police depts., unlike city depts., which will take you at the ripe age of 21. I know all LE depts are supposed to be EOE but this is reality.

That's bs if I don't get hired because of my age, If I don’t get into the first class of NYSP or NCPD I’ll be going out of state so I guess my quest for out of state agencies is going to have to begin soon then.
        "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayState View Post
            What's so bad about being in the second or third class? More time to make yourself more qualified and appealing. If you get hired at 23 you can still be retired by 43. It's not just age or any sort of discrimination. An person with a few extra years has had time to either get an advanced degree, spend some time in the military, build up a solid work history, etc. That makes them more qualified and more likely to get hired. Apply everywhere though because you can always switch jobs later.
            I know but I've been waiting since I was 14-15 to turn 21 so I can finally join a LE agency, I graduate in may with my BA so that means I loose my health insurance through my parents because I'm going to be done with school so that's why I want to make sure I'm the process for a couple agencies, so far I took Suffolk county park police scored a 90(such a small pd so I they prob hire 5people) and Suffolk county police(but I don't think I'll get in on the first try it took my cousin 6years) and coming up Nassau county police(second week in aug,they want to hire 500 officer in 5years but I have a feeling it will be more because the old timers with 20+ years will loose tons of money if they stay because of the new contract),Suffolk county correction(taking the test just to take it I don't want to be a CO),New York State Park Police(in Nov),Suffolk county deputy sheriff(in Jan-feb of 08),New York State Police (hope I get it) AND I'm going out of state in a couple of months to test for Richmond city police in VA,Norfolk police in VA and Fairfax County police in VA,
            I will never get why when you look down past MD-GA and out to the west coast many many police departments give fequent test and here in NY most test come up once every three years once every 4years and so on.

P.s- I will go out of state before I join the NYPD, :-), I have 2family members that are ex-NYPD(one is SCPD now) and they all told me not go in its not worth it and I have 5friends that got in before the starting pay dropped to 25,100 and they tell me the same.
            Last edited by John2008; 07-25-2007, 11:47 PM.
            "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

I ran today for the second time since the academy... preparing for the PT test. I see why they made us sign the disclaimers now

What kind of money does like 50th or 75th percentile get?
              Whatever! You're probably one of those guys who runs twice a year and runs a 9:00 flat... I hate you people

Originally posted by John2008 View Post
              That's bs if I don't get hired because of my age, If I don’t get into the first class of NYSP or NCPD I’ll be going out of state so I guess my quest for out of state agencies is going to have to begin soon then.
              I am not trying to discourage anyone. Jeez, I don't want a recruiter hunting me down and giving me an earful. They do hire 21yr old candidates...

Just in case I didn't ruin you day enough here is another dose of harsh reality:
              My class graduated 149 and we were the first class of the current list.. 40-45 were from the old test, so the other 100 or so were from 20,000 who took the initial test, and most of us had 5-10 points for being veterans.

Using these numbers the class in Oct '08 may only have the top 50 (without military points) out of 20,000 who will take the test. This is after they pass all the stages. It is a remarkable achievement for those without vet points to make the first 2 classes.

I hope you do make it and you bring this post up and shove it in my face 15 months or so from now...

Comment

Just in case I didn't ruin you day enough here is another dose of harsh reality:
                My class graduated 149 and we were the first class of the current list.. 40-45 were from the old test, so the other 100 or so were from 20,000 who took the initial test, and most of us had 5-10 points for being veterans.

Using these numbers the class in Oct '08 may only have the top 50 (without military points) out of 20,000 who will take the test. This is after they pass all the stages. It is a remarkable achievement for those without vet points to make the first 2 classes.

I hope you do make it and you bring this post up and shove it in my face 15 months or so from now...
                [email protected] this post in my face lol, I wouldn't be mad if I didn't make the first two classes with NYSP because I didn't score high enough or didn't pass any of the other stuff, I would be ****ed if I hear "oh your too young for us to hire you we'll call you in two more years" only because I'll be 21, I'll prob choke someone out lol I wouldn't mind wearing junior trooper sticker badge. Another thing maybe the avg age is 23+ because I really havent met many people my age that want to be a trooper almost all of them say "oh I'm going into the NYPD" and so on so that might be a reason why you rarely see 21 year olds in the academy because every person I know that has taken the NYSP test has been 23-26. Graypatriot you didn't ruin my day by the way lol, I know when trying to get a job in LE it's basically survival of the fittest, I would love to be a NYS trooper but if I don't get picked is ok I guess that's why I'm just taking so many test that way w/e pd calls me first I'll go in and wait until the one I really want calls me.
                "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

• Originally posted by John2008 View Post
                  I will never get why when you look down past MD-GA and out to the west coast many many police departments give fequent test and here in NY most test come up once every three years once every 4years and so on.
                  This is because the crime toward the south/west coast is brutal compared to the east. Years ago when I worked as a rep. for an airline I traveled to the south/west coast alot and would stay in different places I would talk to many LEO's from the areas I visited and when I would hear some of their common war stories, they made places like east NY, Flatbush and Harlem look like Candy Land. I was staying in the LAX area at a hotel right next to the Burger King where two FBI agents were gunned down by gang members in broad daylight full of customers. If something like that happens here it is talked about for years. Over their it is just another day gone bad. A friend of mine left the NYC area for LAPD and was back in 8 months after his partner was shot at by gang members walking into his house after a midnight tour. Another friend went to GA state police and was back after only 14 months when he realized how many narcotics and gun runners passed through GA.

Just about all of us on this forum are here because at one point or another we dreamed of being a LEO, but you also dream of staying alive to enjoy life a bit.

Point being... these places out south/west go through so many officers and are constantly hiring because of early retirements due to on the job injuries; some who just can't take near death incidents every other day or officers who are killed. Every time an officer goes down in these place it results in a large number of early leaves by other officers. This is why most LED's like LAPD give a walk in test once a week in several testing sites throughout the county.

Keep in mind too that unless you lived in any of these areas at one time, it is a different way of life. People downstate in NY think life is very different upstate, but it is a good different, a safer different. Yes, there is crime every place you go, including upstate, but how much is what matters. For your own safety and sanity, heavily research and visit an area you want to work in before signing your life away.

... and that's one to grow on.
                  sigpic
                  IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

Comment

I ran today for the second time since the academy... preparing for the PT test. I see why they made us sign the disclaimers now

What kind of money does like 50th or 75th percentile get?
                    Less that what a 3 traffic traffic trials will get you and I don't sweat in court

Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
                    Are you buying back your time? How does that work? I thought at 17yrs you can buy back 3? Not sure how it works as I have heard different things from different people on this matter.
                    You can buy back up to 3 years after you have 5 years on. The going rate right now is 3% of your base pay per year you want to buy back so 9% of $77,216 is $6950 and the best part is you can take it out of your 457b so it's free money as long as you are wise investor and there is no tax on it either. You can pay for it out of pocket if you want but I see no reason to give them more money (money that has already been taxed).

http://www.osc.state.ny.us/retire/me...ice-credit.htm

Originally posted by ATrooper2b View Post
                    Another friend went to GA state police and was back after only 14 months when he realized how many narcotics and gun runners passed through GA.
                    I would be in heaven if I could spend my day doing interdiction by federal standards and making the money I am making here. I wish the states that went by federal guidelines paid more because I'd move in a heartbeat. A Georgia Trooper makes $34,533 which is less than I was getting paid to do PT and make my bed ($36,866).
                    Last edited by Trooper4985; 07-26-2007, 11:31 AM.
                    sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Originally posted by ATrooper2b View Post
                      Point being... these places out south/west go through so many officers and are constantly hiring because of early retirements due to on the job injuries; some who just can't take near death incidents every other day or officers who are killed. Every time an officer goes down in these place it results in a large number of early leaves by other officers. This is why most LED's like LAPD give a walk in test once a week in several testing sites throughout the county.

Keep in mind too that unless you lived in any of these areas at one time, it is a different way of life. People downstate in NY think life is very different upstate, but it is a good different, a safer different. Yes, there is crime every place you go, including upstate, but how much is what matters. For your own safety and sanity, heavily research and visit an area you want to work in before signing your life away.

... and that's one to grow on.
                      thank you for the advise , I don't think I could handle LAPD so I'm not looking at them as much, so far I'm looking at LVMPD(Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department) haven't heard many bad things about them and their benifits are top of the line, also looking at Richmond city in VA and Fairfax County and Norfolk all In VA, but I'm going to wait and see if I get a job offer from NCPD,SCPD,Suffolk county sheriff office as a deputy sheriff I,NYSP,NYSPP if I don't hear from them a little before I graduate in May I'm going to start applying out of state, most likely LVMP I like the benifits and all the things I have heard about the department. thanks again for the advise
                      "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
                        I would be in heaven if I could spend my day doing interdiction by federal standards and making the money I am making here. I wish the states that went by federal guidelines paid more because I'd move in a heartbeat. A Georgia Trooper makes $34,533 which is less than I was getting paid to do PT and make my bed ($36,866).
                        How true it is. I would love to make the money you can make in NYS other places. I wouldn't mind living in Montana or similar places for 80k + a year.
                        Last edited by ATrooper2b; 02-20-2008, 05:00 PM.
                        sigpic
                        IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

Comment

• Originally posted by ATrooper2b View Post
                          How true it is. I would give my left nut to make the money you can make in NYS other places. I wouldn't mind living in Montana or similar places for 80k + a year.
                          For some reason I find this line hilarious. LOL
                          "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

• Originally posted by John2008 View Post
                            For some reason I find this line hilarious. LOL
                            Mater says it in the movie "Cars", that might be where you heard it. (In case you were wondering...no that wasn't an age joke)
                            Last edited by phoenix23; 07-26-2007, 02:29 PM.

Comment

I'll be happy to

J/K

Comment

• Finally received my letter today!!!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9003 users online. 462 members and 8541 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X