Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here active NYPD ? on the fence about switching over to NYSP (have 5 1/2 years on with city)

Comment

• nyc4419
      nyc4419 commented
      Editing a comment
      You know the nypd way quality of life. Nysp quality of life is way better. And if pay is a concern, you're at the same rate basically once you graduate the academy.

• I am Active NYPD, only with 2 years on. If all goes according to plan I'll be switching over to NYSP

Comment

• As someone with experience at more than one agency (not NYPD) my two cents would be, unless you plan to leave the city and live upstate, I'm not sure why you would leave NYPD because you will gain very little and take a substantial paycut for a period of time. I would not bank on staying in the city as a trooper, because there is a common assumption that the SP presense will shrink at the conclusion of Cuomo's time in office. Its only a matter of time before people realize that they are paying troopers to stand around and watch NYPD, PAPD, MTA police do their jobs while upstate towns go without police presence .It makes absolutely no sense at all. PM me if I can answer any questions.

Comment

• reils49
        reils49 commented
        Editing a comment
        100% agreed. Pretty sad to see troops in NYC, doing very little, while communities around the state see their local barracks running short, with no shortage of crime.

Those troops could be used in places where there aren't 35,000 cops. Take for example the MS-13 problem on Long Island, gun violence in the smaller cities upstate that don't have resources to combat the problem alone, or the heroin epidemic our state has been hit with.

• good luck tomorrow guys ! im off to bed !

Comment

• Originally posted by NYCopper View Post
        As someone with experience at more than one agency (not NYPD) my two cents would be, unless you plan to leave the city and live upstate, I'm not sure why you would leave NYPD because you will gain very little and take a substantial paycut for a period of time. I would not bank on staying in the city as a trooper, because there is a common assumption that the SP presense will shrink at the conclusion of Cuomo's time in office. Its only a matter of time before people realize that they are paying troopers to stand around and watch NYPD, PAPD, MTA police do their jobs while upstate towns go without police presence .It makes absolutely no sense at all. PM me if I can answer any questions.
        The substantial pay cut is not so substantial considering straight out of the academy they are at 71k, where top NYPD is around 87k now. It's not a bad trade off for a better quality of life, earlier retirement for us tier 3 members.. higher top salary.. more flexibility as far as where we can work..

Comment

• Originally posted by Nhayes91 View Post

The substantial pay cut is not so substantial considering straight out of the academy they are at 71k, where top NYPD is around 87k now. It's not a bad trade off for a better quality of life, earlier retirement for us tier 3 members.. higher top salary.. more flexibility as far as where we can work..
          I guess everything is subjective. Getting sent to the frosty north where the wildlife outnumber the people and winter is 8 months long is not my idea of better quality of life . I also thought maxed out NYPD were making alot more than 87k. And I was under the impression you guys were 20 and out like every other law enforcement agency in NY...

Comment

I guess everything is subjective. Getting sent to the frosty north where the wildlife outnumber the people and winter is 8 months long is not my idea of better quality of life .
            That doesn't really happen much lately and with Cuomo's NYC push it's really not going to happen. I've come across at least a dozen of prior NYPD and it's not even close with the quality of job satisfaction. Heck even something as simple as the work schedule is light years better. And personally, I'd much rather patrol Troop C for a year than spend even a month in Housing.
            Last edited by jaguarshark; 05-07-2017, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaguarshark View Post

That doesn't really happen much lately and with Cuomo's NYC push it's really not going to happen. I've come across at least a dozen of prior NYPD and it's not even close with the quality of job satisfaction. Heck even something as simple as the work schedule is light years better. And personally, I'd much rather patrol Troop C for a year than spend even a month in Housing.
              I live and work upstate so I agree...but 3/4 of my class and the class after me went to B and C so it does happen. And once Cuomo is gone all bets are off. If I was a city dweller I wouldnt bet on staying in troop NYC.

Comment

• Anybody hear anything new regarding the upcoming class? Figured the 205th should be graduating relatively soon.

Comment

• itsacopthing
                  itsacopthing commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nothing regarding a 206th but 205th graduates Wednesday.

• ExtraRely
                  ExtraRely commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Congrats to all of them! So many rumors out there about a start date for 206. Heard as early as May 21st or as late as June 18th lol.

• I'm putting my money on receiving a letter today or tomorrow for a June 11 start.... I hope anyway....

Comment

• leo1112
                  leo1112 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What was your rank and when did you process

I live and work upstate so I agree...but 3/4 of my class and the class after me went to B and C so it does happen. And once Cuomo is gone all bets are off. If I was a city dweller I wouldnt bet on staying in troop NYC.
                That's an easy bet to take. After this class graduates there will be in excess of 140 troopers in NYC making it bigger than Troop L. So they'll get their own union rep soon. They have a dozen made station commander ranks spread out over 5 current stations plus what will be the future airport stations. You think it would be all dissolved and troopers and sergeants displaced? Can it happen? Definitely... but will it? Unlikely.
                Last edited by jaguarshark; 05-08-2017, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• Edit: I'm not gonna argue with another trooper online. The whole situation is a ridiculous political stunt - But it is what it is. Stay safe.
                  Last edited by NYCopper; 05-08-2017, 05:58 PM.

Comment

• Anybody get there packet yet or know when the next academy will start?

Comment

• I've been threw 2 final medicals last one was april 15th hope I get in this next academy

Comment

• Nothing yet in Troop A. Rumors are of an academy taking place in June.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8266 users online. 365 members and 7901 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X