300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John2008 View Post
    so the first academy off the 2008 test will be in oct. unless they can rush everyone for march??? what you think SDT?
    I doubt we'll know our scores by March. October is my best bet, unless SDT knows something I don't know.

Comment

• Originally posted by OTVFD18 View Post
      I doubt we'll know our scores by March. October is my best bet, unless SDT knows something I don't know.
      I was thinking the samething too but who knows.
      "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

• At processing this weekend I was told by two SGTs that there is a very good possibility of two more classes off the 2004 list. They said there should be a winter and summer class due to the huge amount of stand bys and people who are processing now. Of course this will depend on budget issues. The point was also brought up that the 2008 test will take approx 6 months to establish the list and send out scores, then another 6 months to process for the first class. So baically the 2008 testers are looking at approx a one year wait which is common for people who even score in the 100% mark. If you do the math, your looking at about Feb/Mar '09 for the first class.
        sigpic
        IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

Comment

• Hey, March and September are just common start dates, not cut into stone. This next class will start in August, afterall.
          You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• My class started 09/09/02 (I should have been in the 01/07/02 class but that's another story. The test was March 01 I think...) It was supposed to be an 07/02 class and it pushed back to 08/02 and then we finally got our appointments the 3rd week of august... talk about sweating bullets over what the mailman brought. I was already on local lists... RPD sounded good at the time but everytime I work construction in Rochester I cringe at the thought of working there... 4 shooting yesterday that I know of. BTW... There was nothing like this thread when I was proscessing but I have a family friend who is now retired (12 years 2 months and counting).
            Last edited by Trooper4985; 07-25-2007, 04:23 PM.
            sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
              My class started 09/09/02...we finally got our appointments the 3rd week of august... talk about sweating bullets over what the mailman brought.
              I'm glad it worked out for you Trooper4985. Your situation sounds very similiar to what many of us are going through right now. The academy is scheduled to start in 19 days. Out of the 11 people on here waiting for appointment letters only 2 have posted receiving anything. Hopefully the rest of us will be getting some good news shortly.

Comment

• Originally posted by John2008 View Post
                I was thinking the samething too but who knows.
                No one from the new test in 2008 will make it for a March test. That is just not going to happen.

A side note on age:

In my session there was only 2 people under the age of 25 out of 26 people and this seemed to be the norm for the class. They do hire 21 and 22yr olds but the average age seemed to be around 27. Last transfer we got 4 new guys at my station and three of them were over 30 and the 4th was 26.
                So those of you around 20 if you don't score too well on the upcoming test it may be a blessing in disguise.

Some people on here want to hear only the postive information. I am just adding a dose of reality.

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 06:00 PM.

Comment

BTW... There was nothing like this thread when I was proscessing ...
                    Nothing like the internet when I was processing.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                      Nothing like the internet when I was processing.
                      Remember Sarge... Al Gore created the internet in the likeness of ARPANET... That was certainly around when you tested.

Originally posted by GrayState View Post
                      They make me wear a junior trooper sticker badge when i go out on patrol...
                      HAHA... I know it's not true but the thought makes me laugh.

Originally posted by GrayState View Post
                      I was 22 when I finished all of the processing, but the initial class that I processed for was really small and I didn't make it in until I was 23.

GrayPatriot is right though, most will be 25 and older. Don't expect to get into the first class either. I had other plans to keep me busy until it happened. I don't think anyone in my class was 21.
                      There was a Trooper in my class that just made the 21 cut off to get into the class and still living at home. Retired at 41 with full benefits does not sound like a bad gig. I'll be able to go at 45 as soon as I give Albany a lot of OT this september to buy what most states give vets for free. My class didn't make what the new recruits are making but it was a huge pay raise over the $13/hr I was making building amplifiers for the fiber optic communications network.
                      Last edited by Trooper4985; 07-25-2007, 06:48 PM.
                      sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• I'm doing what I complain about others for... I'm a post whore.
                        sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• I would say out of the approx. 300 people who processed this weekend, the majority looked 25 and older. Unfortunately for most guys under 25 you will lack a particular commodity known as "Life Experience", which is highy desired by most state police depts., unlike city depts., which will take you at the ripe age of 21. I know all LE depts are supposed to be EOE but this is reality.
                          sigpic
                          IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

Comment

There was a Trooper in my class that just made the 21 cut off to get into the class and still living at home. Retired at 41 with full benefits does not sound like a bad gig. .
                            I know a guy with 20 on and he is 41. They guy looks like he is in his early 30s and he can friggin retire whenever he wants!!!

Are you buying back your time? How does that work? I thought at 17yrs you can buy back 3? Not sure how it works as I have heard different things from different people on this matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
                              Are you buying back your time? How does that work? I thought at 17yrs you can buy back 3? Not sure how it works as I have heard different things from different people on this matter.
                              I think you can buy back up to three years at any time (maybe after you are off of probation). It makes sense to buy it back ASAP, as, in theory, you will be earning more in 10 years and would have to pay more to buy back those years.

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 06:01 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8138 users online. 449 members and 7689 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X