300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paddy-O
    Hello all. I had a question in regards to deferments and the circumstances in which they would be granted. I took the NYSP Exam back in 2008 when I was finishing up college, but ended up in the Air Force. When my number came up for processing I had to defer, and by the time my commitment was up (7 years) the new test was issued and I never had a chance to take it since I was deployed for both the test and the supplemental military test. Long story short I got out and am now graduating law school in December. I know they're offering another test this fall and since I'm a 10-point veteran now my number may come up sooner than last time, but obviously still a while between when I take the test and when I start the academy. My question boils down to this: I am interning at a district attorney's office this summer and I'm hoping that will lead to a job offer. If it does and I take it, I would be committing to at least 3 years of work there. Truth be told, I would much rather be a trooper than a lawyer, but I also don't want to be unemployed for however many years while waiting on the lengthy hiring process to manifest into what hopefully will be an academy start date. Do you think they would entertain the idea of a deferment until my commitment to the DA's office is complete? Thank you for your time.
    Take the job at the DA's office and leave when you get the call from the the SP. Your boss at the DA will agree and understand why your leaving. Not sure where in the state your from but most DA's make less than half of what a trooper makes. Agencies from across the state have people leave for the troopers (even guys in their academies) and any worthwhile employer will tell you to go better yourself. Deferring is not a good idea with the current state of NY finaces, pension reforms, etc. If you wouldnt have deferred before you'd be almost halfway to retirement by now. You also could run into an age issue in not too long.

Comment

Hello all. I had a question in regards to deferments and the circumstances in which they would be granted. I took the NYSP Exam back in 2008 when I was finishing up college, but ended up in the Air Force. When my number came up for processing I had to defer, and by the time my commitment was up (7 years) the new test was issued and I never had a chance to take it since I was deployed for both the test and the supplemental military test. Long story short I got out and am now graduating law school in December. I know they're offering another test this fall and since I'm a 10-point veteran now my number may come up sooner than last time, but obviously still a while between when I take the test and when I start the academy. My question boils down to this: I am interning at a district attorney's office this summer and I'm hoping that will lead to a job offer. If it does and I take it, I would be committing to at least 3 years of work there. Truth be told, I would much rather be a trooper than a lawyer, but I also don't want to be unemployed for however many years while waiting on the lengthy hiring process to manifest into what hopefully will be an academy start date. Do you think they would entertain the idea of a deferment until my commitment to the DA's office is complete? Thank you for your time.

A police officer with a law degree......dangerous combination....... I had a good friend who got into corporate law, I'd love to introduce you to him but I'm not sure which island him and his yacht are currently visiting.....

Comment

Thank you for your response. I'm in NYC, and ADA pay here is a joke. I would take up the opportunity to be a trooper in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I didn't have a choice but to defer, since I still had several years left on my Air Force commitment. I'll be 31 this month, but the max age is 36, right? Plus one year for every year of active duty. I did 7 years active so unless I'm misreading it then I have some time. I appreciate your response. Very helpful. Stay safe.
        I think the max is 30 but you can get 6 years waived for military, making the max age 36 with your service.

Comment

Thank you for your response. I'm in NYC, and ADA pay here is a joke. I would take up the opportunity to be a trooper in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I didn't have a choice but to defer, since I still had several years left on my Air Force commitment. I'll be 31 this month, but the max age is 36, right? Plus one year for every year of active duty. I did 7 years active so unless I'm misreading it then I have some time. I appreciate your response. Very helpful. Stay safe.
          From the SP website:

Military veterans may be eligible for an extension of the application age limit. Up to 6 years (72 Months) may be added to the maximum age limit of 29, depending on length of active duty service. In order for the service time to be credited it must be active duty service. Federal service for training purposes does not apply for reserve forces. Contact your recruiter for further information regarding extensions to the age limit.

So I realize I'm just a lowly cop and not a lawyer, but by my math and a limited understanding of your situation: 31 now, 32 when you graduate law school, 33,34,35 (3 years) with the DA. Leaves you less than a year to get hired by the SP before your no longer eligible. By that time the upcoming test won't be good anymore (good for four years) so you'll need to apply not one more time, but two. And pray there isn't a hiring freeze anytime near when you want to join (there was a 4 year hiring freeze during the last exam). That is leaving alot to fate, especially if this is your dream career....just saying...
          Last edited by NYCopper; 04-06-2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• Got my processing envelope today. Rank 13,2xx. States the this is the last anticipated processing from 2013 exam and that every Saturday in October 2017 there will be another exam. Processing weekend may 6 and 7.

Comment

You're absolutely right, I must read it wrong. This is what I read under http://nytrooper.com/qualifications:

AT TIME OF APPOINTMENT:
              • Must be at least 21 years old to be appointed
              • Must be appointed prior to 36th birthday, except the maximum age may be extended one year for each year of full-time active military duty - up to a maximum of 6 years.
              I took that to mean 36+6. But it must have meant 29+6 with a must be appointed by the age of 36. I'm as bad at math as anyone, which is why I'm in law school and not a CPA. I graduate law school in December so I'll be 34 by the time my hypothetical commitment would be up. Obviously if I didn't get in on this testing cycle I wouldn't bother, which is why I was asking about deferments and such. Thank you.
              Im almost certain 36 is the top end. Good luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by StanleyVega View Post
                Got my processing envelope today. Rank 13,2xx. States the this is the last anticipated processing from 2013 exam and that every Saturday in October 2017 there will be another exam. Processing weekend may 6 and 7.

Congrats man! Been a long time coming lol. Best of luck.

Comment

Makes sense. Thank you. Stay safe out there.

New York Executive Law § 215. Organization;  salaries;  qualifications;

Section 3: The sworn members of the New York state police shall be appointed by the superintendent and permanent appointees may be removed by the superintendent only after a hearing.  No person shall be appointed to the New York state police force as a sworn member unless he or she shall be a citizen of the United States, between the ages of twenty-one and twenty-nine years except that in the superintendent's discretion, the maximum age may be extended to thirty-five years. Notwithstanding any other provision of law or any general or special law to the contrary the time spent on military duty, not exceeding a total of six years, shall be subtracted from the age of any applicant who has passed his or her twenty-ninth birthday, solely for the purpose of permitting qualification as to age and for no other purpose. http://codes.findlaw.com/ny/executiv....VPGjdCKt.dpuf

This is why you must receive appointment BEFORE your 36th birthday. ​​​
                  Last edited by Squevie; 04-06-2017, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the source. I wasn't trying to argue or anything I was just confused whether the +6 is added to the max appointment age of 35 or the max application age of 29. So since I get the full +6 years, say hypothetically I apply when I'm 35 (within the 6 year extension for applications). But since I am a terrible standardized test-taker, my number doesn't come up for 3 (or 4) years, plus another 6 months between candidate processing weekend and start of the academy. The academy is another 6 months so by that time I'm pushing 39-40 by the time I graduate and get appointed - at least 3 years past the statutory max age limit for appointments. Would the powers that be not even bother with processing me if they knew I would be way past the appointment age limit, even though I applied before I hit the application age limit? That was my understanding based on NYCopper's responses. The sentence in the statute beginning with "Notwithstanding any other provision..." in the middle, although it's phrased weird, makes it seems like the +6 years applies to both the max application age and max appointment age.

This is all hypothetical and really a non-issue since I'm only 30 right now, and also beyond the scope of my original question about deferments, but now I'm just curious.

Again, not trying to argue, I'm just looking for clarification so I can figure out my options. You're the experts here so I'll defer to your answers. They've been very thoughtful and helpful so far and I appreciate it very much.
                    I'm just a civilian like you. I'd talk to your recruiter. If they want you, anything is possible I suppose.

Comment

• It sucked going through the academy at 25. I wouldn't want to go through at 35.
                      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                        It sucked going through the academy at 25. I wouldn't want to go through at 35.
                        Yeah well I just got my processing paperwork for May 6th and I'll be 30 in October. I have 3 kids and a wife who runs her own business. We're financially comfortable and I'm actually taking a pay cut for the first 4 years or so (according to the pay scale I know there's overtime). We all get excited about our dream jobs but when the time actually comes it deserves the time and respect to ensure it's truly the best decision.

Comment

• Looks like we have a budget deal!

Comment

• itsacopthing
                            itsacopthing commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That's what I like to hear. One week until the medical and hopefully 2.5 weeks until an academy appointment.
                            Last edited by itsacopthing; 04-07-2017, 11:13 PM.

• Hey guys, I'm also going to may 6 wknd for processing. I'm in the investigation for 2 other police agencies at the moment but I was just curious how long does the entire process take from this orientation weekend until academy start?

Comment

• reils49
                            reils49 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Several months is a likely timeline, but there is nothing in stone.

• So i got home with good news and bad news.. Good news I received a envelope to start the process for the trooper this may, And i received a letter from the NYPD that I have been officially DQ. Same day. Hopefully the state gives me a chance.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYPDhopeful20166 View Post
                            Hey guys, I'm also going to may 6 wknd for processing. I'm in the investigation for 2 other police agencies at the moment but I was just curious how long does the entire process take from this orientation weekend until academy start?
                            I did my initial processing June 2016, and if all goes well, academy should start early June 2017, so just about 1 year.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4056 users online. 214 members and 3842 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X